5 days post TT, muscle plication-sternal pain

Julie R.
on 7/22/13 5:28 am - Ludington, MI
I am 5 days out from ventral hernia repair/abdominoplasty with muscle repair and panniculectomy. My doctor warned me that he performed my plication very tightly. In am having some very sharp, spasming pains just beneath my sternum/xiphoid that take my breath away, usually after I've been up and about. I have been careful about not standing up straight, as he advised. Does anyone else experience this? I hesitate to call without inquiring here first, because I am not really comfortable enough to make the 1.75 hour trip to his office unless necessary.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

MyBariatricLife
on 7/22/13 6:39 am

Congrats on your tummy tuck! I am 3-mos out and love mine! I did not have muscle spasms but some people do. Usually the surgeon can prescribe a muscle relaxer. What I did experience was a lot of pain in the plications, and still have pain there. I just saw my surgeon and my PCP (she had a TT, too) and both said it is normal and will take time to fully heal.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

emelar
on 7/22/13 6:42 am - TX

Sounds like muscle spasms to me, too.  I was given valium to deal with them.  If your doc didn't give you an anti-spasmatic, give him a call and ask him to call something in.

I had a lower body lift 6 months ago.  Love the results.  Hated the recovery.  The muscles are not happy campers for a long time.

Julie R.
on 7/22/13 7:10 am - Ludington, MI
I wish that I could have afforded the complete LBL! The tummy, and even the back of my waist turned out so nicely, that I can only imagine would imagine what an full LBL would have looked like.

emelar
on 7/22/13 7:12 am - TX

Your butt would have been where you never remembered it being!  I waffled about doing the whole circumferential, mostly because of the length of the incision.  But I'm glad I did.  The incision healed without an issue.  The muscle repair nearly put me on the floor with the pain.

Julie R.
on 7/22/13 7:15 am - Ludington, MI
That and the spot where my incision meets my outer thigh! Ouch! And my drain sites!

Julie R.
on 7/22/13 7:13 am - Ludington, MI
My surgeon wanted to send me home with Valium, but he was concerned because my blood pressure was only in the 70-80's /50-60's. They had to take me off Dilaudid way too early as a result. I will call and ask for a script for something now that I've recovered from the effects of the anesthesia.

Crazeru
on 7/22/13 8:01 am

Congrats Julie!

It is such a wonderful thing getting rid of the extra skin and getting your hernia repaired.  Muscles and nerves can both cause some pain from spasms and reconnection/regeneration of the nerves.  They can be like a zinger.  Most folks get them around the nipples, not so much in the panni area, but possilbe.  You can try a heating pad to see if it helps the muscles to relax a bit.  Are you wearing a binder or compression garment.  I think that helped me the most.  That and the little old lady walk all hunched over.  It does get better.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Julie R.
on 7/22/13 9:04 am - Ludington, MI

Hi Chris!  Yup-I wear a binder.  My pain is just beneath my sternum..between my breasts.  I noticed that the spasming was much better today, after being more conscious about taking it easy.

alla B.
on 7/22/13 10:56 pm

Julie,

I am so happy for you that you got hernia repair and TT.

Congratulations!

I had those muscles spasms, they were bad. My PS told me to take it easy ( yeh, right!) He gave me Valium to relax them, it took time and they were gone.

I wish you speedy recovery.

Alla

PART 1 VSG  03/28/2006;  PART 2   DS  01/31/20007

Most Active