Why are scars so high?!

brownblonde
on 7/30/13 5:53 am

In trying to find a surgeon one thing I've noticed is some of the scars are so dad gum high.  Is this something that just some surgeons do, is it dependent on body type/anatomy, or is there some other reason that some surgeons/patients have higher scars and how can I avoid it?

Also, I have a friend who had a tummy tuck and she said the surgeon used some kind of scar lining (?) that's supposed to make the scar almost invisible.  She said she had to ask for it and pay more.  I need to ask her more specifically but anyone ever heard of this.

trishy
on 7/30/13 6:05 am

HI there :) Not sure why they are so high.  I know what you are referring to though. I have seen it before...

My surgeon told me to wear panties that I would normally wear on the morning of surgery.  It was a low cut thong and he drew the TT lines based on my panty lines.  My TT scars are easily hidden with my panties/bikini etc.

Revision Band to Sleeve scheduled 10/29

Laura in Texas
on 7/30/13 11:58 am

My surgeon does them extremely low, which I am thankful for. I did not want my hairline pulled up by my belly button. Scar placement and belly button appearance were most important to me.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

emelar
on 7/31/13 1:01 am - TX

I've seen the ones you're talking about.  They look like scars from some sort of open abdominal surgery.  They're even higher than where a C-section scar would be.  I don't get it.

I know I wasn't even thinking about scar placement, and when the doc drew the line, I was a little surprised at how low it was.  But, if I ever wanted to wear a bikini, I certainly could without the scar peeking out!

godzilla
on 7/31/13 3:11 am - Israel
My scar is so low that you can't even see my minimal female hair!
But since I could only get surgery based on what my HMO would cover, I still have the saddlebags and inner thighs.
Mikimi in Israel
Crazeru
on 7/31/13 5:36 am

Mine are nice and low and I have no problems wearing a bikini.  My upper body lift scar also fits under my swimsuit top.  I wore it at markup.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

MyBariatricLife
on 7/31/13 7:23 am

Are you referring to the scar high on the hip, or in the adbominal area? If the hip, many surgeons believe women prefer this aestheically because it can be hidden by a thong, high cut bikini etc. Wear the panties that you like during markup and you should be good. You also can have the scar revised at a later date. Some surgeons do that for free, some do not.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Most Active