How long before swelling resolved? TT

brownblonde
on 12/26/13 1:08 am

10 dpo TT and BA and I weigh a full 10lbs. higher than presurgery, and there is no hope of any clothes but sweats fitting!  How long was it until you were able to fit back into presurgery clothing?  Anything to aid the reduction of swelling?  I heard it can last as long as 3 months.  I go back to work in a couple weeks and I'm not quite sure what I will wear if I remain this swollen.  Thanks.

TeashaLorna
on 12/26/13 1:24 am - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

Nothing to add except that I am going through the same thing had my full TT on 2 Dec 13. Had an armlift to and the swelling there seems not to bad.

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Cinn
on 12/26/13 3:07 am - MI

Almost 7 months post op. Still swollen. Sorry.

RNY: 9/3/2008     LBL: 6/5/2013

emelar
on 12/26/13 5:48 am - TX

Keep in mind that everyone's experience is different.  Some people never have significant swelling, and some have it and it lasts longer than you like.

Personally, week 3 was my official entry into swell hell.  I felt like a sausage about to explode from its casing.  And it lasted for several weeks before I started feeling less sausage-y, but I continued to do some swelling in the afternoon/evening (but nothing that affected my clothes).  It's only in the last month that I don't notice any swelling, so it's lasted in varying degrees for 10 months.

katier825
on 12/26/13 9:24 pm

I am 3 weeks PO from LBL.  I'm still swollen, although I have lost 12 lbs (including the 8 the dr. removed).  I am most comfortable in yoga pants, but did try on some of my work clothes because I go back in 1 week.  They are snugger at the waist than I hoped, but the seat is baggy.  I also discovered I can't stand any seams/pockets that fall anywhere near my incisions.  That will limit me for a few weeks till more swelling goes down.  I may have to resort to dresses/skirts for a few weeks.

Are you wearing a compression garment?  I am supposed to remove for only 1 hr a day for 8 weeks.  One night after my shower, I fell asleep and woke 3 hours later.  I had a heck of a time getting it back on because I swelled up more during that time.

brownblonde
on 12/26/13 10:51 pm

Yes I am wearing a velcro compression binder.  Which makes dressing even more fun.  I sleep in it as well, and take off only for shower.  I am about 1 1/2 weeks post op, and I noticed I seemed to swell more yesterday because my binder got awful tight toward the end of the evening.  I'm not very good about drinking water, but I think I ought to start that as I was told I'd hold onto more fluid if I was not properly hydrated.

katier825
on 12/26/13 11:35 pm

it's good you are wearing something for compression, it definitely helps.  I was given the kind that zip and have eye hooks on the sides, panty style. while it was in the laundry, i used my SIL's velcro binder.  The panty style works better for me for the swelling.

Laura in Texas
on 12/26/13 10:52 pm

Immediately post-op my waist was 4 inches larger. By the end of the first month I had lost 3 of the 4 inches. It took at least 3 more months to get back down to my pre-op waist measurement (and I am still there- I am one of the few who did not go down a single size post lbl)

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Waterwench
on 12/28/13 2:00 am - portland, OR

A lot depends on water intake and minimizing salt and foods that increase irritation, bloating and swelling. A lot of folks cut out salt entirely and stick to a gluten-free diet for a few months to make healing more comfortable. Also, even if you hate water, you should be drinking about 2 liters a day. Caffeinated beverages, juices, etc. don't count! Water will help flush out all of those waste products lingering during extensive healing and after all the IV fluids you received.

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

TracyK
on 12/28/13 5:15 am - FL

I am (today) 10 dpo and weight the exact weight I did before I went in.  I am feeling the swelling as well but I have been up and around keeping quite busy walking to hopefully work it off.  I am wearing a compression garment (From breast to knees) all day except for showers.  Today was the first day that I wore anything other than my sweat pants.  However, they were my "fat" pants.  I was too afraid to even think of trying on anything else.  I go back to work on the 6th and most likely will be in dresses and baggy clothes.  

I, like you, am not a water person but I am trying to get a little more in my system although it is not nearly the amount that is needed.  Not to seem too personal either but today was one of more productive days in the bathroom and that seemed to help feel less bloated.  

I wish you luck and hope you feel better soon.  

Tracy

Lap-Band/Dec 2004 - Starting weight: 230
Band Removal June 2015 (Sadly) - Weight 215
Revision Apr 2017 - Weight 240, CW 194, GW - 145

Most Active