Question about Timing and Request for Recommendations

MyBariatricLife
on 2/24/14 12:39 pm

Most US plastic surgeons will not help you, either, if you have had surgery outside the country. Definitely secure soMeone before hand. Perhaps your family's PCP would be willing to take you on? As for surgery in Mx, I have seen Dr. Cardenas do some amazing work and she is cheap. Check out Bubblegumbooty on RealSelf.

Personally, I would not,go,outside the country for surgery. There is too much risk for me. If you are restricted by finances there are there other ways to make plastic surgery more affordable. Have fun in your search and be sure to pick someone you are very comfortable with and confident in,macho has a lot of experience with MWL patients for each procedure you are considering. Good luck!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Karen R.
on 2/24/14 7:17 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

Thanks so much.  I'll be sure to look at Dr. Cardenas as well.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Iam_with_the_Band
on 2/28/14 2:57 pm

dr Sauceda is my surgeon of choice but I will be the first to tell you DO NOT go out of the country for plastic surgery if you do not have a doctor in your hometown willing to help you should you have a complication. I believe that is a vital component whether you're have WLS or plastic surgery out of the country. Please don't ignore this vital component. 

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Karen R.
on 2/28/14 9:42 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

Thank you.  This is tricky.  As I'd mentioned, I live overseas.  This is where I had my WLS, but I don't have a primary care physician.  My plan is to have my surgery the first week of December, then return to Chicago to spend the holidays with my family.  I moved from there in 2004 and don't have a doctor.  I'm hoping my sister might be able to introduce me to hers.  I just don't know who would be willing to see me given the situation.

I've already gotten a quote back from Dr. Sauceda and it's something I could afford.  I realize price isn't the only consideration unfortunately.

Thanks again for the advice.  :-)

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Iam_with_the_Band
on 2/28/14 9:55 pm, edited 2/28/14 9:56 pm

complications happen. You can't always afford to ignore that possibility. I totally trust and love Sauceda however I am also very cognizant that one trip to the ER and time back in a US hospital can bankrupt me. I had a friend who got MRSA post plastics and she is still paying for her time in the icu . It's serious business and if you aren't set up with the finances for a possible issue post op, the savings on your procedures could easily turn into something more costly than a surgery in the states. You will need a PCP to do your pre op labs, EKG and post op pain meds. Many people run to medical tourism with doing their due diligence and a few regret it. I am not trying to discourage I just want to be realistic. 

Iam_with_the_Band
on 2/28/14 10:05 pm, edited 2/28/14 10:05 pm

just a thought. With my medical insurance and their full exclusion of plastics surgery post weight loss - and exclusion of all complications post plastics it didn't matter where I had my surgery - US or Mexico I was responsible for my post op complications . I decided to choose the best and that was Dr Sauceda. Part of my savings for surgery includes extra for possible complications. I double the price of my surgery and tuck that extra away. It makes me have to work harder to have the money but I am a single mom and if I am not working or I have a bill to pay - it's all my responsibility. 

MyBariatricLife
on 3/2/14 4:46 am

I know two patients who had complications following their surgeries (both had infections) that ended them up in the hospital. Each woman walked away with $60,000.00 of medical costs on top of their surgeries! I believe the hospitals will negotiate that rate down especially if the patient qualifies for charity care, but OMG. If that happened to me I would end up in ICU from a heart attack (at least that would be covered by insurance, LOL).

I had very good insurance coverage for my plastic surgeries last year. I was very lucky that I had only minor complications and they were covered by my insurance, aside from the visit by the paramedics. However, I now have a policy with a $10k deductible and I have no idea if they would cover complications from plastic surgery. So I am beginning to worry about my next surgery. Am I tempting fate? I will go through with it none-the-less but it does play on my mind from time to time.

I agree. Complications can happen, even with the most diligent patient and most brilliant board-certified surgeon. 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

MyBariatricLife
on 3/2/14 4:54 am

Just a thought... perhaps do not tell the PCP in the states that your surgery was performed in Mexico. Some doctors simply won't touch you if you have your surgery outside of the country. I had a friend whose primary discharged her from his practice because she had her WLS in Mexico. I don't really understand that reasoning but just a warning that you may encounter it. 

I was in a similar situation with my tummy tuck. I had it when I lived in NJ with a NJ plastic surgeon, Dr. Capella. But I moved to the Midwest at one week post op. I had no primary setup here at the time. However, I did not have a problem getting other plastic surgeons to look at me for seroma or do my 6-week post op (although that guy tuned out to be a jackass). Presumably that is because I had it done by a board-certified US surgeon. Now I have a primary and he supports me through my plastic surgeries. I keep travelling back to NJ for Dr. Capella to do my surgeries and consults. It may be tricky but it was worth it for me.

I am sure your sister's doctor would be a good place to start. Good luck, and remember where there is a will there is a way!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

(deactivated member)
on 4/1/14 6:06 am

I have patients that are from overseas. It is preferable to meet in person but most everything can be done via the web, even the consultations, follow-ups with Skype. Thee should be no reason why it couldn't be scheduled that far in advance.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/2/14 4:37 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Karen, is there any reason you can't have your plastics overseas where you live? I just had mine (LBL) one week ago in Geneva, Switzerland. Pretty great experience so far. We have the same WLS surgeon! 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active