Question about Timing and Request for Recommendations

Karen R.
on 2/20/14 4:50 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

Hi, all.  I had RNY in April 2013.  I've lost 106 lbs and am currently six pounds from goal.  I live overseas and only get home a couple of times a year.  I'll be back in the States in May and would like to do some PS consultations in the Chicagoland area (which is where my family is), with the goal of getting the surgery done there in December when I'm home for the holidays.

Does anyone have a recommendation (or two!) of plastic surgeons in Chicago?  I've used the search function to see if this has been discussed in the past, but there isn't a ton of info out there. 

Also, do you think my timeline is reasonable?  Will a surgeon consult with someone seven months before they want the actual surgery?  Is this something where I could meet with them in person in May and then email pics closer to the date?  I'm not sure how this works.

I'm not sure exactly what I need--other than a way to get rid of all the wrinkles around my middle, lift up my rear end and shape my thighs (my arms bug me too, but I can't decide if it's bad enough to have brachioplasty)!  I'm thinking I may also look into surgery in Mexico, though I'm a little nervous about having procedures done outside the U.S.

I appreciate any and all info.  Thanks!

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

emelar
on 2/21/14 12:54 am - TX

Don't have any recommendations about surgeons in Chicago.

There should be no problem with doing consults now and having the surgery in 7 months.  What you're doing now is choosing your surgeon.  Once you decide who you want and what you want done, you can work out whatever schedule suits both of you.  I will warn you that end of the year tends to be a very busy time for surgeons.  Those who are having surgery covered by insurance or trying to exhaust their flex plans are trying to get it done by the end of the year.  So if Christmas is your goal, get on the schedule sooner rather than later!

Sounds like what you want is the Lower Body Lift/Circumferential Body Lift, which is a combo of tummy tuck, mons lift, butt lift and outer thigh lift.  An inner thigh lift (thighplasty) is a separate surgery.  Some docs will do them at the same time.  Some won't.  Put that on your list of questions to ask!

Karen R.
on 2/21/14 1:09 am
RNY on 04/14/13

Thank you so much!  This is really useful info.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

MyBariatricLife
on 2/24/14 12:29 pm

Summertime also can be the busy season as that is when teachers and others who like to take vacation have their surgeries.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Iam_with_the_Band
on 2/21/14 8:34 pm

I had several consults prior to my plastics. EACH and everyone gave me a quote and told me that that quote was only good for 6 months.  Make sure you get the quote in writing and ask how long it's good.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Karen R.
on 2/22/14 2:36 am
RNY on 04/14/13

Good to know!  Thank you.  :-)

Laura in Texas
on 2/21/14 9:47 pm

Yes, your timeline sounds reasonable. I believe plastic surgeons will work with you on that.

About the arms, keep in mind that plastic surgery is like painting a house. When you paint one room, the rest look worse in comparison. Ask the plastic surgeons for their opinion.

Good luck. Plastics is the fun part!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Karen R.
on 2/22/14 2:40 am
RNY on 04/14/13

Ha!  That paint analogy is a very real fear!  I will indeed ask the docs what they think. 

It's funny--my arms looked pretty good up until the last couple of months.  One of my fitness goals has been to be able to do an honest to God pushup.  My trainer has dutifully been pushing me with upper body work to get me ready.  The only thing is as I've gotten more definition in my shoulders and arms, the fat has disappeared and now I'm left with muscles and wrinkly, crepe paper skin.

And I'm not sure if I'm happy with that.  :-\

Thanks!

Crazeru
on 2/24/14 7:38 am

You can take pics from the front, side, back, side in underware (panties) and sent to [email protected] and he'll send you a quote with what he can do for your body.  It will give you an idea of PS costs out of the country.  Dr Sauceda is in Monterrey Mexico.  You can click on Dr Sauceda in my siggy line and it'll take you over to our group here on OH. 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Karen R.
on 2/24/14 11:33 am
RNY on 04/14/13

Thanks!  I've joined the group.

I plan on getting a quote from Dr. Sauceda.  I'm a little worried about possible complications, not because I fear the doctor doesn't know his business.  But I realize things can happen with even the best surgeon. 

I'd be flying in from overseas to my family in Chicago and then going to Monterrey (if I decide to go with Dr. Sauceda).  I'd return to Chicago afterwards for a couple of weeks to recuperate.  If anything happens, I don't have a PCP to go to.  I worry that no one would agree to see someone like me who has no relationship with a doc in the area and no intention of staying and building such a relationship in the long term.

I just don't want to get stuck, paying emergency room fees out of pocket.

Most Active