body lift/drains

indybuttercup
on 3/30/14 4:02 pm - Indianapolis, IN

I had surgery 3/16 and have seen the dr 3 times. I have 4 drains in, one of which fell out over night. 2 of the other three look like they arer not draining anymore (wont stay squeezed shut). i am calling the dr when they open, he said he thought they may need to stay in 2 more weeks. I was draining like crazy and worried two of the other 3 are trying to come out. Anyone have experiance with this? Can they put them back in? My stitches even opened last week in a spot with no drain and the dr said that was normal and due to the fluid needing to get out

Laura in Texas
on 3/30/14 8:04 pm

Interesting. Mine were sewn on with metal sutures to prevent them from coming out.

Keep us posted.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

emelar
on 3/30/14 11:22 pm - TX

Mine were held in with a stitch as well. No, they can't easily be put back in. I think if they come out, they stay out. If they're not holding suction, they're not doing you much good anyway. It's like having a straw in a glass, but no one is sucking on it. The fluid isn't just going to come out. 

See your doc and find out what he wants you to do. 

indybuttercup
on 3/31/14 12:13 am - Indianapolis, IN

Thanks! Mine are sewen and 24 hours ago all drains were draining like crazy. Now only 1 is. I called the office today and she said come in tomorrow and it is unlikely that the dr will want to put it back in. Thanks for your replys

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/14 2:07 am

I usually place two drains for abdominoplasty and exit them through the incision and I sew them in place. I put a long acting local anesthetic into them at end of surgery to give extra pain relief. I keep my drains in until the drainage is less than about 20cc in a 24 hour period which usually occurs in about 10 days. If they fall out, then I do not put them back in unless there is a build-up of serous fluid. This may also occur if the drains are removed too early.

indybuttercup
on 4/1/14 7:04 am - Indianapolis, IN

Thank you Dr! The 3 remaining drains started draining again are draining again like mad. One that had stopped filled up with 70 ccs in under 2 minutes. I had previously squeezed it 3 times after the one next to it fell out and they inflated instantally with air. I saw my dr today and he said I am draining a lot and he is leaving them in for at least another week and maybe as many as 3. He said they inflated because they crossed with the one that fell out and they were sucking air thru the openint it had left. It is closed now.

(deactivated member)
on 4/1/14 7:06 am

It is better to leave them in until it is less than 20cc per 24hours for if not, the fluid may re-accumulate and need drainage.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/2/14 4:43 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I had four drains all sewn in place and they were all removed four days after surgery. I had under 30 cc in each by the last day. The first day was down right frightening how fast those drains were filling up. It really was stomach turning...

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

jeterway
on 4/2/14 5:50 am

I remember the first experience I had with drains.  The stitch on one gave way and I was all freaked out that it would fall out.  The nurse put some tape on it to keep it in and that worked.  When they were finally pulled, I was amazed at how much bigger the drain was on the inside and how difficult it would be for it to actually fall out.  As far as the amount of drainage just stopping, make sure that you are stripping them properly so that clots do not form on the inside and cause them to clog.  It can be tricky to clear a clot in a drain but it usually can be done. While drains are evil things they are actually wonderful things because you want all of that crap to come out of you.

Happy Gurl
on 4/2/14 9:46 am
VSG on 10/26/12

The drains are weird.  You're very careful with them (and should be), walking, going to the bathroom, etc....as if they could fall out at any moment, or just in your body an inch or two.  Well when they take them out, you see just how terrifyingly long these things are in your body....probably more than a foot in some cases -eeek!!! 

HW: 390, HbandW: 340, LbandW:237,

HsleeveW: on 10/27/12:270, CW: 167:) GW: 175 :))))

M1:22, M2:16, M3:10, M4:9, M5:8, M6: 9, M7: 8, M8: 6, M9: 3, M10: 4

Most Active