Post-op Recliner Chair Saves the Day?

Jessica O.
on 6/5/14 12:10 am, edited 6/8/14 10:45 pm - Ann Arbor, MI

In two weeks from today (omgyay!) I will be having my fleur de lis circumferential abdominoplasty.  I've read how amazing it is to have a recliner chair post-op.  My dad is going to let me borrow theirs but it has a lever.  Will this be a problem?  Or can you only use recliners with the higher button/pull?  

Much appreciation! 

::UPDATE 6/9:: My mom and step-dad are picking up a new power recliner from Art Van today and bringing it over to borrow :D  

Sleeved on 11/23/11 at 302lbs (309 sw.) 5'6" / 41 years old

godzilla
on 6/6/14 12:33 am - Israel
Mine had/has a lever but better that than nothing. It was harder for me to get out of the recliner than pushing the lever for the legs. I had TT, more like a panni and a year later BL/BR and I practically lived in my recliner for three months. I always have complications and I live alone.
Enjoy your upcoming TT tummy.
Mikimi in Israel
Jessica O.
on 6/6/14 12:43 am - Ann Arbor, MI

Thanks!  I figured it would be better than nothing.  My dad just told me they *may* be purchasing a power recliner and I could borrow that instead for a couple weeks.  EVEN BETTER :D

Lyss Remaly
on 6/6/14 5:12 am - Wheeling, IL

You will want the electric one.  Moving to the side to pull the lever will be a nightmare and getting out of the chair will be painful too.  The coolest thing about the operated one is it moves forward and literally dumps you on your feet so you don't even have to get out of the chair.

It was an absolute life saver!

pinkpeonies
on 6/7/14 2:59 am
VSG on 04/23/12

I am 2.5 weeks out from an extended abdominoplasty with hernia and diastasis recti repair. We're all short in my house and have furniture to match, and not a recliner in sight, so I rented a power recliner and am sooooo glad I did. It lies down almost flat and tilts up enough that I could sort of slide off the seat to a bent-over standing position. There is no way I could have managed a recliner with a lever for the first week or so so if you can get a power recliner, go for it!

I added a pillow for underneath my knees, and one for my lower back, one of my son's twin-size comforters, a small bedside table to hold water, phones, Nook, my glasses, etc., and I was good to go.

I've tried lying down in my bed a few times after the first week post-op but didn't feel comfortable enough until last night to actually sleep there. What a wonderful feeling to wake in my own bed! (I'll be using the recliner during the day for reading et****il they come to pick it up.)

Thinking good thoughts for you!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

5/27/14 - Extended abdominoplasty with hernia and diastasis recti repair

12/20/14 - Breast reduction/mastopexy with bra line back lift

AZDee
on 6/7/14 1:49 pm - Gilbert, AZ

It all depends, I am 3 weeks out from a Lower body lift, where the stomach muscles were cut and re sewn and a medial thigh lift, and I didn't even need the recliner, so for me just a couple pillows under the knees and some behind the head and I was fine.  No problem sleeping in my bed...So everyone is different...  

pineview01
on 6/7/14 2:28 pm - Davison, MI

Other side of the coin here.  I was told to absolutely not use a recliner due to the way they are made the support can dramatically increase the risk of blood clots in the legs.  I bought a wedge to but under my head and a leg wedge/elevator recommended here.  The two cradled me in my bed.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

katier825
on 6/8/14 8:04 pm

It is much easier to have the electric. But if that is not an option, they do sell lever extenders for recliners.  There are a few options....just Google it.

Most Active