Drainage Tubes Hurting

cutekatie
on 8/18/14 10:57 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I have looked on here as well as online in general and can't really find any information about this.

I have three tubes including two on the left hand side. That is the only area that hurts and it only hurts when I lift or move my leg. I am 3 days post op and not taking any pain meds.

Is that common to have pulling/shooting pain in that area?

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

jeterway
on 8/18/14 11:28 am

I wouldn't call it hurt, discomfort perhaps.  I would get a sense of tugging at times when I moved.  The tube that you see is actually connected to something fairly long inside of you - so as you move you could be pressing on it.  I assume you have the drains pinned to you so that the tubes are able to move freely against you?  They are not getting caught up in anything as you move around?  I don't recall any shooting pain from them. 

You are stripping them periodically?  They don't really hurt when they come out - again just discomfort.  I was told to take a deep breath and let it out as they pulled it out.  That causes you to focus on the breath and not the drain being pulled.

cutekatie
on 8/18/14 11:39 am
RNY on 05/16/12

Thank you for your response. I'm not talking about when they come out but I'm glad I'm not the only one that had that feeling. Tugging is a good word to use.

The bulbs have a clip that are clipped with enough slack. I will be happy when they come out.

emelar
on 8/19/14 2:07 am - TX

You may want to try wrapping some gauze around them at the opening and sort of taping them in the direction that's most comfortable.  Or taping them against your leg (or wherever) so that they don't get pulled on.  Yes, they're uncomfortable, but it's a short term problem.  And getting them out feels strange, but none of mine have been painful - no reason to dread it.

cutekatie
on 8/19/14 5:52 am
RNY on 05/16/12

Good to know. Thank you.

hollykim
on 8/19/14 4:38 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

try taking some pain medicine. After all, you have cuts in your skin and they will likely hurt. My leg drain incisions hurt until the drains came out. 

cutekatie
on 8/19/14 5:54 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I have been taking pain meds at night to help me sleep but I hate the foggy, groggy feeling or being on pain meds. The issue is that the pain meds didn't help with that pain anyways but I'm hopeful that the pain will go away when the drains are removed on Thursday.

RobynJC
on 8/19/14 8:09 am

Oh drains....those evil little devices that you both love for what they do for you and hate for the mechanism in which they do it. It is so much better to have that fluid out though rather than getting major edema. Talk about uncomfortable and painful. Edema sucks. 

But I feel your pain, literally.  I currently have 4 drains in from my arm/breast lift last week and I have the same issue as you every now and then. Try putting some padding around the stitches, that helps a lot actually.  Sometimes the stitch will pull a bit and that is the pain you are getting. Putting a thick pad around it elevates any clothing that may be touching it and helps with the pulling by stabilizing the stitches. 

This is is my 4th time with drains, so I have learned a few tricks. I had 2 with my bypass, 4 with my lower body lift and 2 with my thigh lift.  

Today I actually discovered one of mine is leaking a bit, that is fun. Not. But they come out Thursday so preserverence will be my mantra.

Good luck to you!

cutekatie
on 8/19/14 8:15 am
RNY on 05/16/12

Oh yeah I totally will deal with the annoyance as opposed to edema, swelling, infection.

I have never been a good patient when recovering from surgery. When I had my son I was told I looked too good to have just been in labour. With gastric bypass surgery I asked if there was a problem since I was walking the halls too quickly. With this surgery I am anxious to get back to normal so Thursday can't come fast enough when my tubes will be removed (hopefully).

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/14 4:03 am

You are really doing great if you are not taking any pain pills. Any type of irritation, esp near or from the drains will cause discomfort/pain. You may want to try and put numbing cream in the area or ice/pressure may help and support the drainage bulbs when you are turning/moving.

Dr. Edward Jonas Domanskis is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery 1441 Avocado Avenue, Suite 307 Newport Beach, California 92660 949.640-6324/1.888.234-5080(Ca) Website: http://www.surgery-plastic.com Assistant Clinical Professor of SurgeryWOS-Plastic,University of California (Irvine) Orange County’s Physician of Excellence/America’s Top Physicians/Top Doctors Plastic Surgery- 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2012 President,American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons www.ASBPS.org

Non-Toxic, No Nanos Skin Care- www.ORGANODERM.com

Scar Therapy-www.ScaRxtape.com

Most Active