Update (not all the news is good!)

Karen R.
on 1/4/15 2:04 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

In eight minutes, I'll be 20 days out of surgery.  :-)

I'm still loving the way my breasts look and truly, from a recovery perspective, they were a non-event.  I forget I had work done there (despite them still being taped at the incisions).

I had a major setback a week ago.  The constipation I'd talked about in my earlier post reached crisis-point and I spent half a day at the emergency room.  Without a doubt it was the most embarrassing and excruciating experience of my life.  We all suspect the pain pills are to blame (for what it's worth, I never did get more from my doc--I wound up not asking for them).  That took about three days to recover from overall.  I'm currently off all meds, except...

...the two antibiotics I'm on to combat an infection.  The section of the 360 incision that's basically at my tailbone opened up and has pretty much refused to close.  The doc said this would be a challenging spot as it's the one at the most pressure (given how much sitting/lying down I've been doing).  Add some additional antibacterial ointment to the mix and twice a day dressing changes, and it's complicated things.

The good news is as of a couple of days ago, I actually feel a heck of a lot better.  I felt kind of bruised up until then.  Now, I still get sore (particularly when I'm on my feet for an extended period of time, or have been sitting in the same position for too long), but it's much better than it was.

The swelling is too (for the most part...).  I climbed on the scale this morning and I'm down to 123.  Given that two weeks ago I weighed 10 lbs. more than that, I'm pleased.  I, like most folks on these boards, will tend to swell up a bit at the end of the day.  But I've been doing my best to drink plenty of water to wa**** all away.  This results in interrupted sleep, but you work with what you've got!

My main concern is whether I'll be healed enough for when I'm scheduled to fly home on the 14th.  I think I will, but I guess we'll have to see how the infection goes.  I'm ready to return to the mild weather of the Gulf (and my dog!), but I don't know if my doc is going to want me around a bit longer.  I go in to see him on Tuesday.  I'll be interested to hear his thoughts.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Stacy_WLS
on 1/5/15 12:01 am

Oh I feel for you!  

I had a section on my back open about 5 weeks out.  It took just under 3 weeks to close!  I always felt pressure right in the back and was worried it would open there, but thank goodness it didn't / hasnet (knock on wood!).  It looked horrible when it first happened, but the scar doesn't look like it will be much (much) bigger than the standard line.  

The wound doc treated my opening w/ medihoney.  It allowed it to heal from the inside out.  I hope your infection & wound clear up soon!  

The complications will sort themselves out.  Enjoy the new body :)

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

emelar
on 1/5/15 12:39 am - TX

Anesthesia and pain meds pretty much turn your gut off.  Constipation sucks, and an impaction sucks even more.

I had a small opening at the top of my butt crack.  It took several weeks to close up completely, but it did close and you can't even notice it anymore.

I suspect you'll be good to go for the 14th.  Just continue to take it easy.

Ihearttennis
on 1/6/15 12:14 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I am 19 days out and I hear ya! The constipation is terrible and even though I take Colace twice a day and a dose of Milk of Magnesia I still had a case of compacted bowels.  I now do a suppository every two  days  if I don't go on my own.

I'm so sorry you are having these issues. I pray you get to go home soon and have a speedy recovery!

I bet you look fantastic!

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Most Active