Hoping to get some advice on plastics...

burghblonde
on 7/28/15 7:11 am
RNY on 05/12/14

I am only 15 months out so this isn't something I want to jump into for another year but I wanted to get some info on plastics post wls. I think that an LBL is in my future and I am seriously considering having my arms done. All I have ever wanted to be able to do is wear a tank top or a sleeveless dress. Sadly I have SO much skin hanging off of my upper arms, and a little off my forearms as well, that it is very disturbing to me. I mean, when I say SO much, I mean I have looked at some surgeons sites and have not even seen this much in the before and after shots prior to surgeries. :(

Has anyone had multiple procedures done at once or were they spaced out? How was recovery? How far post-op were you when you consulted with a plastic surgeon and how far out when you had the procedure(s)? Any issues with infection? And for those of you who have had your arms done...is the scar easier to live with than the excess skin? (This one is perhaps my biggest concern)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! I have so many questions...

Never Sell Out On Your Heart 

~ Heather~

jeterway
on 7/28/15 8:09 am

I had my arms done a couple of years ago.  I am so happy that I did it.  I scar badly - they take forever to lighten but I am so happy with the scars as opposed to the sagging skin.  The scars are on the inside of my arm so they don't show unless I lift my arm up high.  I frequently wear sleeveless tops.  I don't know that they will do anything for the forearms though.  Usually it is just the area above the elbow.  Sort of like the legs - they don't generally do anything below the knee - only the thighs. 

As far as multiple procedures go, you will have to discuss that with your surgeon.  Not sure if they would do the arms and an lbl together.  You need to be able to depend on some parts of the body picking up the slack while the other is healing.  Getting out of a chair or the bed could be difficult if they did both at the same time.

I have had multiple procedures done - basically about 6 months apart.  That gave me time to heal from the previous one and get ready for the next.  It also allowed for any touch ups to the first procedure.  I consulted with a plastics guy at about 18 months out and had my surgery about 6 months after that. 

Karen518
on 7/28/15 2:39 pm

I had brachioplasty, mastopexy, and abdominoplasty on July 1st in a five hour procedure.  I did spend one night in the hospital which was helpful because I had about 15 hours of off and on dry heaves from anesthesia which was not too fun.  I took prescription pain meds for two days and Tylenol for about a week.  Recovery has been seamless, results are great, and I have had no real discomfort.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.

i am three years out from RNY.  I have been at goal weight for over 18 months.  I am 57 years old.

I am a teacher, so I don't work summers, and my children are grown.  My husband is helpful and supportive. I blocked out July for surgery recovery and have done lots of reading and relaxing:).

Good luck!  It's all worth the effort.

Sherrie P.
on 7/28/15 6:44 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

Go to Realself.com and check out my profile Thinin13 - I had multiple procedures and you can see the whole scary story there! Okay well it is a good story ;-) but there are photos.

My scars are bad but I am having laser treatments to lighten them. I would not wear short sleeves with the flab anyway so I am hoping one day I can wear sleeveless. I wish my arm scars were on the inside, but they are down the back of my arms.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Jennifer K.
on 7/29/15 11:53 am - Phoenix , AZ

Has anyone had multiple procedures done at once or were they spaced out? I had an extended TT with lipo and fat transfer to put some junk in my trunk as the first procedure. The next was a BA/BL, arm lift, laser skin resurfacing on my neck/chin area.

How was recovery? 2 weeks for both... both were very uncomfortable, the TT with the stomach tightness the arms with not being able to lift arms over head and the heaviness I felt on my chest... not horrible thou.

How far post-op were you when you consulted with a plastic surgeon and how far out when you had the procedure(s)? I am 9 years out last month, my last procedure was a year ago, the first was in 11/2011. I had to wait due to the cost so I could save up money.

Any issues with infection? No

And for those of you who have had your arms done...is the scar easier to live with than the excess skin?

YES YES YES YES YES. The scars are on the underside, they are not very noticeable.. as time progressed my bat wings became more saggy and had some stretch marks... they reached a point I was not happy letting them be seen.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

bvarney
on 8/8/15 6:42 pm

I lost 210 lbs. and had more skin than you could imagine.  I didn't have weight loss surgery.  I lost it just eating a healthy diet and counting calories over a two year period. I had my skin removal surgery in two stages.  In January of 2014 I had abdominoplasty (stomach skin removal) and brachioplasty (arm skin removal.)  Then in January of 2015 I had a lower body lift (skin removal from my hips and buttocks) and vertical resection of my thighs.  I am glad I did it in two stages.  The surgeries were a *****allenging - but I am so very glad I did it.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  I don't know where you live, but if you are anywhere near the Ann Arbor, Michigan area, I would highly recommend by surgeon - Dr. David Hing at the Center for Plastic and Reconstructie surgery.  www.cprsaa.com.  He is board certified and it is very important that you check for board certification from any surgeon.  He is the kindest doctor I have ever encountered and he went the extra mile for me many times over.  He is incredibly skilled and I am beyond thrilled with the results.  He explained the procedures to me honestly and clearly in a way I could understand.  There was no pressure.  He really listened! 
As I mentioned, the surgeries were a bit of a challenge for recovery.  You really need someone with you to take care of you for a few weeks post op.  With the stomach skin removal, you are bent forward a bit during recovery.  I had several drains for a few weeks.  I used a walker to help my keep my balance because I was kind of dizzy.  It is just a reaction I have to surgery. My blood pressure gets pretty low.  I was back at work after 6 weeks from that surgery.
The lower body lift was more of a recovery challenge.  Due to the nature of the incisions and tension on them, you can't sit up for a few weeks.  I had to lay in my recliner.  After the first week I could  sit at a 45 degree angle, and a 60 degree angle after  couple weeks.  To get up from the recliner, I put my hands around my husbands neck, straightened my body, and he pulled me straight up.  It worked just fine.   I had 6 drains and they were taken out in stages.  I'm not a fan of drains, but they don't hurt.   Because you can't sit up straight, using the restroom is the biggest  challenge - at least it was for me.  I got constipated after both surgeries so taking stool softeners and laxatives were important.  You have to kind of recline on the commode - or stand up.  That wasn't fun at all, but it was worth it.   Pain for both surgeries was manageable with drugs.  I was off all narcotics after a couple weeks for both and just used ibuprofen.  I went back to work 6 weeks after the lower body lift part time.  That was probably a little ambitious even though I have a mostly desk job.
I didn't have infections.  However, the thigh part of the surgery has the possibility of developing seromas, blood fluid pockets, under the skin.  I developed some of those and they had to be drained.  For most people that does the trick, but mine were stubborn and eventually had to be surgically removed.  It was still well worth it.  I am still thrilled with the results!  I feel so much better about myself!  I laugh that I am one big walking scar - but they don't bother me at all.  I wear them proudly. The arm scars are on the underside, so not directly visible.  But if you move or raise your arm, they will be somewhat visible.  You have to be comfortable with that.  They are fading over time.  I don't even think about them now.  I would much rather have the scars than the hanging skin.  But you will definitely have scars.
Good luck to you as you make your decisions about surgery.  I was so scared before my first surgery and it was all I could do not to back out.  I am sooooooo glad I didn't back out.

Crazeru
on 8/11/15 9:44 am

I had a lower body lift, breast lift, arm lift and small thigh, 4 days later a full facelift.  I was almost 59.  It was the best thing that I've done.  The scars are reminders of what I had done to my body.  I was dancing at 3 mo out, not one gentleman even mentioned my red, angry scars on my arms.  Lots of twirls in West Coast Swing. 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

DrL
on 8/16/15 10:22 am - Houston, TX

Congrats on your weight loss !  The first issue is to be sure you are at a healthy and stable weight. This may not be the "goal weight" you originally had in mind but the key is stability and health.  

Next is to be sure you do not have any deficiency states.  If you search the threads here, you will see several patients all booked up for surgery but nobody investigated their iron levels, and their cases were cancelled last-minute. So if you have not been strict on your supplements (or even if you have) be sure and have iron studies done and your vitamin levels checked.

All of plastic surgery is going to be a trade for the scars you have to trade for a nicer shape and less skin. So research your surgeons carefully...this is a most challenging area of plastic surgery and you want to limit your search for surgeons who are experienced and specialize in this area.

Feel free to request a free hardcover copy of my book if you like, it's helpful in learning about the various procedures. 

http://www.amazon.com/Bariatric-Plastic-Surgery-Cosmetic-Weight/dp/1886039925

Just email me at [email protected] and Ill get one out to you !

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active