Over a Year Post-Op LBL

Jessica O.
on 12/10/15 11:19 am - Ann Arbor, MI

I had my lower body lift in June of 2014. I was off work for 8 weeks. For the first 4 weeks I was mostly recliner chair ridden. I went from about 165 pre-op to 154 when I was finally back to my regular routine - work, pleasure, etc.. 

I had been mostly maintaining my weight by weighing myself daily and adjusting food intake accordingly. 

This past fall, my weight has continued to rise to the 170s. I haven't changed my diet or anything out of my norm. 

Do you think that my 8 week recovery killed my muscle mass hence completely slowing down my metabolism hence the weight gain?

Going to the gym tonight because I can't take this disgust with myself. 

THANK YOU

Sleeved on 11/23/11 at 302lbs (309 sw.) 5'6" / 41 years old

Tracy D.
on 12/10/15 11:52 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm 5 months post-LBL and I've experienced regain too.  I started off at 145 lbs., got 7 lbs. of skin cut off and got down to 130 lbs. and now I'm back up to 143.  All in 5 months - yikes!  Definitely not gaining weight because of loss of muscle mass.  Eight weeks of exercise doesn't result in a great increase of muscle mass; neither does eight weeks off result in a giant loss of muscle mass.  

More than likely you are feeling good about yourself and have relaxed in some of your habits (I sure have!).  If you are gaining it's time to go back into WL-mode:  track that food, cut back carbs to under 80 and start moving more.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Jessica O.
on 12/10/15 11:55 am - Ann Arbor, MI

Thanks! You're probably right. How much do you keep your calories to? I try and shoot for 900 when I track. 

Tracy D.
on 12/10/15 12:14 pm, edited 12/10/15 4:50 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

If I'm exercising I shoot for 1200 calories per day max and 60-80 carbs.  

ETA:  If I'm not exercising vigorously at least 5-6 times per week then I have to stay closer to 1000 to lose.  Reality is kind of a ***** 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Dcgirl
on 12/15/15 6:46 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Jessica - you are definitely not alone.  I had my LBL and BL when I was at 160 (my goal) and went down to 155 (my metabolism was awesome for about a month post-op).  Now I am back at 170.  It's not muscle mass, it's calories in, in my opinion.  For me, it's a few glasses of wine here, a few cookies there.  It sucks, and losing 10 lbs feels tough, but think about how far you have come!  I am not going to let 10 lbs ruin my accomplishments (nor my new body thanks to my LBL!).  I am committed to eating high protein, low carb, getting my grazing in check, and working out.

You can do it too :)  Good luck!

Jessica O.
on 12/15/15 9:58 am - Ann Arbor, MI

Thank you :D You're probably right. I have been drinking more vodka and cranberries post LBL :( 

breathemusic
on 12/15/15 11:44 am

Oh man, I'm getting ready to have my LBL, BL, and arm lift in 2 days and the idea of a few more pounds coming off the scale is exciting.  I'll definitely have to watch out that I don't let enjoyment of my new body result in scale creep, so I appreciate being able to read stuff like this.  On the plus side, I just started Invisalign too, and while the stupid plastic retainers and the tooth ouchies suck, I'm finding it to be an EXCELLENT resource to keep me from grazing.  So with any luck that and regular weigh-ins will keep me in check.

Jessica O.
on 12/15/15 11:54 am - Ann Arbor, MI

Yay!! How exciting! I hope everything goes smoothly! 

emelar
on 12/15/15 12:46 pm - TX

My surgeon said that most folks lose about 10 pounds post LBL because the metabolism is revved up trying to heal.  And they put the 10 pounds right back on by the time they're a year out.  It was true for me.

I'm afraid it's just calories that are putting the extra weight on you.  It sucks!

Jessica O.
on 12/15/15 12:53 pm - Ann Arbor, MI

That's really neat and I had no idea!! While it sucks that I'm sabotaging myself, good to know that I can fix it! Thank you!!

Most Active