abdominoplasty vs. RNY recovery

DanaDenise
on 4/23/16 7:40 am

For those of you how have had RNY surgery and abdominoplasty, which of them was a more difficult recovery?

emelar
on 4/23/16 11:09 am - TX

If you had laparoscopic RNY surgery, I can guarantee that the abdominoplasty will be a more difficult recovery.  You won't have any of the eating restrictions as with the WLS, but you'll have a major incision and your muscles will have been cut and stitched.  There's more physical pain with the tummy tuck.  If you've ever had a C-Section, it's more like that.

DanaDenise
on 4/23/16 12:38 pm

Funny, because I had a C-section and thought that the RNY was WAY harder!

NYMom222
on 4/23/16 5:30 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I had a lower body lift which is front and back,... but it is funny I really had no pain on my backside from the surgery... This was way tougher than RNY, but better medicine to keep you going. I didn't really feel 'human' again until the second drain came out on day 16. Not that I was non-functional before that, but when you have drains, things ain't normal. LOL. The first week is a blur, whereas I remember standing in my kitchen one week after RNY saying "I can't believe I had surgery a week ago."

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Leslie W.
on 4/24/16 6:42 am - Cobourg, Canada

Abdominalplasty . It is the muscle work that was painful. You don't realize how many muscles you use to pee!

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
shorty71
on 4/24/16 8:45 am - CT
VSG on 04/01/14 with

I had VSG two years ago and just had a full abdominal plasty and this is far worse than any surgery ive ever had. I had a hysterectomy and this is far worse. Do i regret getting abdominal plasty?  NO WAY!  Its all worth it. Havent been able to see my stomach yet becasue its all bandaged up. I have 2 jp drains as well. I have a high tollersnce for pain and usually dont take anything for pain but inhad to with the abdominal plasty

DanaDenise
on 4/24/16 11:42 am

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm looking to have breast augmentation and abdominoplasty at the end of June, but I really don't want to give up my whole summer recovering.  I'm afraid of the pain!!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/24/16 9:21 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

also ask about the breast aug - under the muscles implants can also be painful.

Sharon

fickleme
on 4/25/16 11:41 am - Bessemer City, NC

I had laproscopic RNY 5 years ago and the pain was minimal... the worse pain came from the gas actually... I had a TT w/MR on March 3rd this year and it honestly wasn't too awful... in fact 9 days post op I was able to take a concealed weapons course (8hrs in class) and range shooting... I did have quite a bit of swelling that day but I was still able to get out do it... The MR is the hardest part... I took pain meds the first 3 days but was able to switch to Tylenol after that and was okay... Don't get me wrong it's major surgery and it's painful but it's worth it if you have excess skin you want to get rid of... laughing, sneezing, coughing will hurt like hell... I used a pillow to put pressure on the incision when I needed to do those things and it helped some.... I needed assistance the first few days with getting in and out of bed but as far as the pain it was similar to my 2 c-sections... I also had an abdominal hysterectomy (11 inch cut) so maybe I am just use to this type of surgery... I was scared to death from all the stories and videos I had seen and heard and almost talked myself out of it because of the fear of the pain... but now I am soooo glad I didn't because it wasn't so bad... it was like a typical surgery is expected to be... hope this helps.. and good luck! 

(deactivated member)
on 5/17/16 3:29 pm
ReShape on 10/30/16

I had my RNY open but really didn't think the pain was bad at all. Hoping to be able to compare that with plastics this fall. I'll let you know!!!

Rich

Most Active