Denied !!!

sharroona
on 9/17/16 11:55 am - forest grove, OR

I was denied Plastic surgery because my BMI is to high. Surgeon wants me to loose 60lbs, I'm 3 yrs out and lost 140lb. I feel completely deflated..... and don't think I can achieve this. Anyone else experience this?

Leslie W.
on 9/17/16 3:12 pm - Cobourg, Canada

That is too bad. But a high bmi will affect your healing and put you more at risk. Plastics is a big surgery and healig can be a challenge. Friend of mine was told needs to lose 30 lbs. I hope thigs work out for you.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
sharroona
on 9/18/16 10:40 am - forest grove, OR

thanks for reply :)

JordanXOXO
on 9/17/16 4:42 pm

I haven't had surgery yet, so I may not give the best advice. That being said, don't take no for an answer, recommit to fitness and your diet and give it everything you have. Look at losing 60lbs as a new goal. You could always try finding a new surgeon but you will likely face a similar answer. Good luck! 

HW:385lbs 
CW:366lbs
GW:145lbs

Seminar Scheduled 10/13/16 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/18/16 5:21 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

These are long surgeries and therefore more risky and they are considered elective - so there is no medical justification to submit someone who who is 60+ pounds overweight to a long surgery.  Dr cannot risk your well-being for an elective surgery.  I do not see your age, but if you are over 50, that is another factor your dr considered. 

Take out your food and exercise log and see what changes you can make.  From your ticker, you are at 240 pounds (that might not be current, I understand), if you get rid of 40, your dr may reconsider.  

There are people here who can help you get restarted.  How cool would it be to lose another 40 pounds AND get the PS!!

Sharon

sharroona
on 9/18/16 10:38 am - forest grove, OR

Thanks for response, I am 39. I am very active and eat a very healthy diet to maintain my current weight. At the time of my surgery I had Providence insurance and had to have WLS at Swedish in Seattle which is a 4 hr drive. I no longer have Providence insurance but never had any resources like the nutritionist or support groups because of distance. I am going to attempt to meet this goal but not sure where to start and feels like I need people who are familiar with WLS to help. I have found that some nutritionist say they are familiar with WLS pts but when I go they tell me eat way too many calories and foods that I physically cant even eat. I need to hook up with the right folks!!!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/18/16 2:11 pm, edited 9/18/16 7:13 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Post a request on the VSG or RYN forum, as appropriate, and ask for help. You will gets lots of ideas but they all will boil down to FEWER CALORIES, esp because you already seem to be exercising.  You might even find a pal who also needs to lose.

A food journal that tracks every molecule of food that goes into your mouth is a necessary first step.  You are in EVERY CALORIE COUNTS territory. The payoff/motivation is the plastic surgery.  I had both facial and an upper body lift.  The facial was a mistake, but I am glad I got the arms and breast lift.  I lost all of my excess body weight, so I was not in your situation, but I can say that if I were, I would try my hardest to lose the 60 to get the upper body work.  (I would not do so for the facial ps, I had a very bad experience with it and it was not worth it.)  

If you want a second opinion on the plastics.  I would suggest that you contact my ps.  He will do a phone consult based on pictures.  (You take pictures and email them, but do not include your face.)  He operates near Washington, DC.  He decided in med school that he wanted to specialize on post weight loss patients and he has lots of experience and does a FANTASTIC job.  People travel from all over to get him.   

However, you are 20 years younger than I am - try as hard as possible to get the other 60 pounds off and your knees and back will thank you when you get to be my age. (Writing that made me feel so old, but check my pictures - I am a young 59). 

Dr. Joseph Michaels    http://www.josephmichaelsmd.com/

My advice: Build a food plan that gets you at least 80gmrs of protein, 800-900 calories, just like after WLS.  To maintain your current weight you may be eating as many as 1200-1400 a day.  600-800 is the target for losing; 1000 - maybe 1200- to maintain (although my NUIT thinks most people will gain, or at least not get to a goal BMI, on 1200).

Also, as a reminder, after WLS we ate: Slo Pro Wa Wa Vit.  (My little slogan that I made up)

Slo - eat and drink everything SLOWLY

Pro - Protein First

Wa - Wait 30-60 min between eating and drinking and visa versa

Wa - Water (and other fluids)

Vit - take your vitamins and get your annual check ups

Sharon

Spturley
on 9/23/16 8:49 am
VSG on 10/12/16

Most hospitals have support groups that allow anyone to come to, no need to file through insurance. I would look at surrounding hospitals and see if they have these groups. My dietician informed me that they will never charge me for her services, in fact they do not even bill my insurance. It is just a courtesy as they want more people to see a dietician and utilize their services so they decided to take whoever wants their help! You might call around and see if anyone in your area is this way!

"So...all of time and space, everything that ever happened or ever will - where do you want to start?"

VSG: 10/12/16

Laura in Texas
on 9/19/16 3:11 pm

Most insurance companies do not cover plastic surgery at all so the fact that yours does is a plus. Use this as motivation to lose the 60 pounds.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

NYMom222
on 9/28/16 10:04 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

You don't say what your BMI is. When I started doing consults for PS my BMI was about 29ish... I was still losing 2-3lbs a month. I suggest multiple consultations as you were learn each Doc has a different take on the same surgery. How much weight do you feel you still need to lose?

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active