Limited range of motion with extended Brachyioplasty and Mastioplasty

Lisa_at_the_beach
on 10/19/16 11:22 am - Raleigh, NC
with

It's been 6 weeks since my arm and breast lift.  My surgeon was great and I love my new arms and breasts.   First week I was pretty out of it and needed help with everything.  Second week I started moving around more and felt much better.  Third week I went back to work as I have a desk job.  Recovery has been easy and everything looks great, except I have a limited range of motion especially in my left arm.   It stings and feels like the scars are about to tear if I stretch my arm out too far, especially first thing in the morning.  Massage helps as does cocoa butter moisturizer.  I tried using the silicone strips but they really irritate the skin.  When can I expect to be back to normal?  I'd appreciate any advice.  

emelar
on 10/19/16 12:00 pm - TX

You are still very early out and should be cautious testing your range of motion.  It can take up to a year for everything to return to normal, although I suspect in a few months you'll feel much closer to normal.  Patience!

NYMom222
on 10/20/16 12:39 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Absolutely keep massaging... my PS says that helps to break up the scar tissue. He gave us this cream to massage in...2x a day...and I have bought more: BioCorneum Supposedly the only FDA approved scar cream.

I used this silicone tape- Silicone  more to prevent irritation between the arm and side breast suture lines, as they would rub against each other.

It does take a little while.... hang in there.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Lisa_at_the_beach
on 10/21/16 5:36 am - Raleigh, NC
with

Did you purchase the BioCorneum from your Dr?  I found it on Amazon but several reviews claimed it was a knock-off and I'm a bit afraid to purchase it.  How long has it been since your surgery?  When did you finally recover your range of motion?  I have a TT coming up right after Christmas and I'm concerned.

NYMom222
on 10/21/16 12:52 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I remember going to my month appointment and him taking 'after' pics and I was still very tight/range of motion. He gives you one when you have surgery, I have bought off ebay and just a couple of weeks ago bought off Amazon, and in no way felt they were 'knock-offs' packaging and product seems exactly the same.

I have recovered full range of motion...can't remember exactly when. had arm surgery May 2nd.... I know by the time I had leg surgery July 25th...it wasn't an issue I was thinking about.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/26/16 10:23 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I read the literature - it;s seems as if it's the sunscreen in the BioCorneum that separates it from the other scar creams.  But I use it, even though no sun light hits my scars through the bra and compression sleeves.

Sharon

C. Lauer
on 10/21/16 8:44 am - Lauderdale by the Sea, FL

Congratulations on your weight loss and yoru decision to have plastic surgery!

I experienced the same thing -- it takes a long time for all the swelling to return to the presurgical state, not to get you depressed but it took me nearly two years before I could fully extend my arms over my head without that tight stretchy feeling.  Of course I thought there was something wrong, but everyone heals at different rates.  I would encourage you to do exactly as your doctor indicates and rember patience is a virtue -- I'm so grateful for both my WLS and Plastic surgeon's skill and patience with me as I wanted all my results yesterday!!  

I spent a lifetime of being overweight and just being normal sized was a totally new experience for me.  One of the things that I was so amazed by plastic surgery is that you litterally can "order" something on your body, (pay for it of course)  -- it takes time to heal and allowing your body to return to it's pre surgical state.  I thought my plastic surgeries (3 over nine months time) were much more difficult to recover from than the WLS was I would do it again in a heartbeat.  

Hang in there -- everything will work out in the end!!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/26/16 10:24 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Totally agree - the PS are more difficult and take longer to recover from.

Sharon

MyBariatricLife
on 10/21/16 8:22 pm

You are early out yet, but I will caution you that I have had a range of motion loss in both of my arms following the brachioplasty in 2013. After much hard work, I regained full range in one arm. The other still had a problem. I will share my story with you because perhaps some of what I did will help you. You'll have to read it on RealSelf because it is too lengthy to post here. 

BTW both my plastic surgeon and my PCP said it was nothing to worry about... well they were wrong... so you cannot always trust your doctor's advice, because just like everyone else, doctors are not infallible. I do think that what happened to me was extraordinary... although the orthopedic surgeon and the physical therapist did not. Perhaps hindsight is 20-20. 

Also, I had a very good plastic surgeon, Dr. Capella. So it was not for lack of experience. He had me do the wall crawl with my arm while I was still in the hospital because I awoke form surgery with the range of motion problem. Perhaps ask your surgeon if this is something you should do... and see an orthopedic surgeon. I just would caution you not to take a wait and see approach. 

Good luck with your recovery. Here is a link to the story of my brachio complication. https://www.realself.com/review/ramsey-nj-arm-lift-flankplas ty-breast-lift-body-lift-medial-thigh-lift 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Lisa_at_the_beach
on 10/25/16 11:24 am - Raleigh, NC
with

Thanks everyone for your help!  I'm going to keep massaging as that really seems to help.  First thing in the morning is a pain as I am very stiff, but it improves after a shower and some work.  I am hopeful that by the time I have my TT they will be back to something like normal.

Most Active