what to pack/buy

lesliejayne
on 3/23/11 10:01 am - Noxapater, MS
Ok ladies...I'm making my list of what I need to take to the hospital and also what I need to have for when we come home from the hospital.  What are the things you found to be necessary?  Thanks in advance!!!
Leslie

Jennifer Q.
on 3/23/11 11:49 am - Newton, NJ
 I recommend bringing your own pads...the ones they give you in the hospital are HORRIBLE!! Also, comfy clothes/jammies...I am a firm believer in pacifiers for my kids...so I get a couple different kinds and bring them with me and see which one baby seems to prefer.  They say Paci's reduce the risk of SIDS.  Bring extra undies and sweats and I actually brought one big towel from home for my first shower...silly probably, but I like my towels.  Chapstick.  slippers. water bottles (they give you water in the hospital, but I could not drink theirs...it was weird tasting) if you have long hair scrunchies and head bands.  lotion. we also brought music.  Our son was born to Van Morrison.  at the hospital we were in they encouraged us to take the diapers and wipe things they give you, so we would load up a bag everyday to send home with my hubby and the nurses re-stocked the room...we didnt do this with our first and learned.  The wipes they give you in the hospital are great to wet and use for the first month.  I tried not to buy wipes with stuff in them, but they all have something, even the unscented ones.   well, this is just what I can think of right now.  God Bless for an easy delivery!!

SW 241.6/ CW 138.8/ GW 140
    At Goal 12/11/2009          
amykic
on 3/23/11 12:33 pm - spencer, MA
Comfy clothes and slippers. I also brought my own pillow for home comfort. Boppy pillow, I found it helpful in holding my babies. Camera & charger.
I personally perfered the pads & undies they provided, i found them comfy and even took a bunch home.

Lilypie - (yMzl) 
Lilypie - (G8Gh) Little Angel  8/14/09  ectopic

Amy E.
on 3/23/11 1:51 pm
Was wondering the same thing so thanxs for asking this question. I also planned on taking nursing gowns with robes and something for my husband to do in case we get into a lenghthy process and change for the vending machines for him. Don't forget the carseat lol.
Thanxs, Amy

.HW267/SW257/CW172/GW148

Liz R.
on 3/23/11 9:24 pm - Easton, PA
coming from a NOTORIOUS over packer - not much! The hospital will give you just about anything yuo need.

I recommend:
jammies, slippers, chapstick
phone & charger
camera & spare batteries or charger
coming home outfit for baby
I brought my own pillow
That's about it!

Oh and I also brought my laptop and charger.

I packed a ton of extra stuff and didn't need it. I was fine with those fancy mesh undies that the hospital provides and their pads. They also gave me dermaplatst and witch hazel pads. They had plenty of stuff for baby and pacifiers.
amykic
on 3/23/11 9:47 pm - spencer, MA
Oh yeah dont bother packing a diaper bag for the baby. The hospital will provide everything you need, well atleast mine did. Just ask the hospital because you don't to be carrying tons of stuff home. Just bring the coming home out and a blanket or coat (depends on weather).

For home just make sure you have everything ready like diapers and wipes. Easy dinners are nice.

Lilypie - (yMzl) 
Lilypie - (G8Gh) Little Angel  8/14/09  ectopic

TraceyC
on 3/23/11 11:43 pm - DFW, TX
My list:

Gowns/slippers...  I bought nursing gowns from Motherhood Maternity that had matching robes and then went to walmart and bought socks with the no slip skid pads on the bottom. If I wasn't under the covers I didn't even bother to take the socks off during the day

Nursing bra(s)

Comfy outfit for you to wear home. Sweats, maternity dress etc.

Chapstick/toothbrush/toothpaste/deodorant. My own soap/shampoo/conditioner. Toothbrush/razor/deodorant for DH

Sweats or comfy clothes for DH. We spent the night in L&D and he had something he could sleep in. Then afterwards he stayed with me.

Lap top / charger

Cell phone/ charger

Cash/change for vending machines, cafeteria and parking garage for DH. I'm frugal and don't like to get charged the extra $2.50 to withdraw money from another bank's ATM. 

Snacks for DH if he's staying with you.

Outfit to take baby home in

carseat

We didn't need diapers or wipes. The hospital provided mesh undies and different levels of pads according to what I needed. All I had to do was ask. I went from Depends to thin pads in the time I was there.  

Boppy- it was a lifesaver for me! I ended up having a ceaserean and it helped so much in not having to hold up my baby when he nursed.

Camera/charger, camcorder

Good luck!

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. Walt Disney 
http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10728;28/st/20110112/n/Blake/dt/-1/k/3fb3/s-age.png">>

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/11 12:37 am - Myrtle Beach, SC
I'm a HUGE overpacker myself and found I didn't hardly need anything at all. The hospital's undies and pads worked just perfect for me- although I did bring my own to put on when I left- I prefer the pads with wings, so I made sure to have a few of those. The only things I really should have packed were: my robe and slippers, an outfit to go home in for me and baby, laptop & charger, cell & charger, chapstick (i NEVER use this stuff, but boy was it needed!!), and to be honest that was about it. The hospital I was at was very stingy with their supplies, but they did send me home with a small pack of diapers and an 8 pack of premade bottles for baby.

I was there for 2 nights and just found it easier to wear their nursing gown with my slippers and robe as a cover up. I took my Boppy pillow but with everything going on- never got to use it while there. 

Hope that helps ya some!! Hard to believe it's almost time!! :) Best of luck!

chelle614
on 3/24/11 2:50 am - Chester, NY
Splurge and buy yourself a nice robe with matching slippers. You will most likey be parading around in a robe in the hospital. No one weill expect you to be dressed up or anything.
Chapstick, your own toothbrush & toothpast. Anything you need to take a shower with (the hospital shampoo/soap is pretty lame). Lotion, if you have any favorite protien bars or shakes, bring some. Hosptal food is not always WLS friendly, or even edible lol. Your own pads are a definite. And some older underwear. I got the really long ones with the wings, Buy  heavy and medium absorbancy.
As for the baby, just an outfit to come home in. The hospital will provide everything it needs. They actually prefer the newborns stay in the t-shirts and swaddled in the blankets because it is easier to examine them and whatnot.

M/C 10/18/10  9w2d...forever loved

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
                                                      It's a boy!

hockeybabe2u
on 3/24/11 5:30 am - Allegan, MI
Things I didn't see posted here is an outfit for baby to have it's picture taken in.  Plenty of easy to prepare food and snacks for when you get home and extra money for hubby to eat is good!  Also, I would try to have your house picked up and vacuumed before you come home (if it's not done, maybe a family member would be willing to come and do some light cleaning).....it will make you feel better to bring baby home to a tidy house and you wont have to worry about if for a few days!  Also, have the baby's bedding ready with a good stock of diapers and wet ones!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1275 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 876 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1346 views