Breast milk in DS parients

lawgurl1234
on 3/29/11 9:56 pm
Does anyone here know if breastmilk in post op DS mothers is as good as breastmilk in non DS/non WLS patients? I called my surgeons office and they said this question has not been addressed by this office before and that perhaps I should have my breast milk tested? I am going to ask my OB at Kaiser to test my breastmilk but not sure how receptive they will be....
HW 297/SW 257/pre-preg low 165/preg weight 178/GW 150

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker
Violet S.
on 3/29/11 10:23 pm - NY
 It is my understanding that,  just like your body will "rob" what it needs from you to nourish a growing fetus, your body will take what it needs from you to create ideal breastmilk.... so I think your milk is likely perfectly normal, but you could suffer deficiencies if you don't keep on top of your labs and supplement appropriately.  Good luck and kudos to you on breastfeeding! 
-V
                                              I love my DS!
5'7'' SW-267, CW-155
Mom to 2 boys- age 6 & 4
TTC baby #3 since Oct. 2010
candessg
on 3/29/11 11:28 pm - plymouth, MN
I asked my surgeon the same thing as we are preparing for my baby's birth. I am on so many vitamins and creon to help me absorb more so I they are planning to research all this and get back to me. I think I will feel better if they test it though! 
LSUtigerGirl
on 3/30/11 1:00 am
I know I read some studies somewhere that found even starving/ malnourished nursing women in third world countries still had breastmilk that was sufficient and of the proper make up for raising a healthy infant (I think the research was done in India?).
Basically the mother's body was destroying itself to make the best quality breast milk for the baby.
I wouldn't worry so much about your breastmilk as I would worry about yourself getting adequate vitamins/minerals/fats to stay healthy.
Lianne C.
on 3/30/11 2:41 am - Garden City, MI
I don't think the milk is changed by WLS.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1261 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 870 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1339 views