New here...lots of questions!

antntar
on 9/19/11 9:57 pm - philadelphia, PA
Hi,
 I found out that I am 8 weeks pregnant and I have lots of questions. My doctor recommended that I only gain about 15 pounds through out the pregnancy because I am still overweight. For those of you who have had healthy babies with minimal weight gain- what was your diet like? Also, I take a multivitamin everyday- should I also add a prenatal vitamin? Or what was the regimen that your doctors recommended while pregnant? My first prenatal visit isn't until the end of the month and I want to make sure I'm not missing anything in the early stages of the babies development.
Thanks in advance for any info!

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/11 5:55 am - Woodbridge, VA
You had RNY and have only been taking a multivitamin? What about vit D, calcium, iron, B12...? You can switch your multi to a prenatal, but I would also HIGHLY recommend you get a full set of labs run (including, at a MINIMUM, vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin B12, vitamin B1, vitamin B6, folate, a CMP, a CBC, ferritin, PTH, and, if you've ever had metabolic issues, a HBA1C).

I would also recommend adding a DHA supplement (if you don't switch to a prenatal that has it - most do not, but some do).

I'm 13 weeks pregnant today and have lost about 12 pounds since I've been pregnant (I never got all the way to goal, so I have some pounds to spare!). I eat as I should have been eating all along - low in carbs (almost no grains, no starchy veggies, no sweets except occasional dark chocolate, and limited fruit), focus on protein first, and good natural foods (no artificial sweeteners, nitrate-free meats for things like bacon, organic products when I can afford them).
antntar
on 9/20/11 6:11 am - philadelphia, PA
Hi,
 Sorry that I wasn't more clear. I take a multivitamin, 6 calcium citrate w/ d3 (for a total of 1200 mg), an iron pill, and b-complex w/ folic acid and vit c. I also get monthly B12 injections. I was wondering if I should switch my multivitamin to a prenatal or if I should add a prenatal on top of my normal regimen? I also read that we should add some carbs because ketosis is very dangerous to the baby. So I was just wondering what other Mom's had done to help them deliver healthy babies after rny...   Thanks again for any info.

hockeybabe2u
on 9/20/11 6:26 am, edited 9/20/11 6:26 am - Allegan, MI
Your vitamin intake sounds good right now.  I personally wouldn't add anything extra (unless you want to add DHA****il you have lab work drawn and have all your levels checked.  I had my OB prescribe a prenatal vitamin that I thought I would add to my current list, but waited to have it filled until I had my labs drawn.  All my lab work came back good except my iron was on the high side, so they told me to cut it back to every other day and told me I didn't need to add the prenatal.  So I suggest you wait and get your labs drawn ASAP and then go from there.  Also, make sure you have your labs drawn at least another 2 times during your pregnancy as they can change drasticaly while pregnant.  Regarding eating and food during pregnancy, they say you only need an additional 300-400 calories while pregnant.  I would suggest adding in some whole grains to avoid ketosis.  Good luck to you and congrats!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

Jennifer H.
on 9/20/11 7:34 am - stockton, CA
Best thing to do is check with your doctor.My OB took me off most while pregnant and added a prenatal.To many vitamins can be bad for baby and cause defects but you also need a good amount as well to.Every ones OBs are different.As said above have them do blood work and check as well.

May my Angles rest in peace.....
Born April 24,2011 Bethanie Marie passed April 25,2011 and Grace Anne passed May 6,2011
pregnancy calendar

Lexa321
on 9/21/11 1:29 am - weston, FL
i switched my multi for a prenatal and kept everything else the same... i didnt really need to add anything into my diet because it was already pretty balanced... im 5 years out and eat like a normal person now... yes staying out of ketosis is very very important.. its bad for the developing baby brain... i also still have a bit of extra fat and so far at 38 weeks ive had a total gain of... zero. with a 7 lb baby ive cooked up... ill find out the exact weight monday when she is born.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1280 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 878 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1348 views