RNY and aspirin?

windowsdown
on 9/22/11 12:15 am
RNY on 11/02/10 with

Hi Ladies,
Long story short I unfortunately miscarried my little one (I'm heartbroken but I'm trying to stay positive and not question the will of GOD).  We will start trying again in Nov (which was my original goal anyway as this would be my 1 year out date).
I had my follow up appt with my OB and she said that when I get preggo again she would like for me to take baby aspirin; I let her know that we (RYN'ers) are not supposed to take NSAID's and  aspirin due to the risk of ulcers.  She stated that it will be very important for me to take an 81mg of aspirin and that I will have to weigh the risk/benefits of taking it.
She suggested that once I get my BFP I should start to take the enteric coated tablets with a antacid and call my surgeon to ask if this would be okay.  She would like for me to take it for about 4months.  I've placed a call to my surgeon's office but just wanted to see if any RNY'ers on this board used aspirin to support a pregnancy.

Jennifer H.
on 9/22/11 12:37 am - stockton, CA
Im sorry to hear of your news....hugs.
I think if your doctor wants you to while your pregnant it will be ok.I know my surgeon says its ok if its not used lots over years and years of time.if you never had problems with ulcers be for hand you should also be ok.If you need it to help you get through your pregnancy and you want a baby I would do what the doctors say to help me through.

May my Angles rest in peace.....
Born April 24,2011 Bethanie Marie passed April 25,2011 and Grace Anne passed May 6,2011
pregnancy calendar

windowsdown
on 9/22/11 1:17 am
RNY on 11/02/10 with
Jennifer, thanks for the reply and support!
That is my train of thought as well....I'm thinking that it shouldn't be that big of deal to use it for a short period of time and even if it is I think the pro's outweigh the cons!
Brooklynnsmom
on 9/22/11 1:53 am - Bellevue, NE
I am so sorry for your unfortunate loss. 

You definately sound like you are/want to be informed on the issue of the NSAIDS with RNY.  I had to take anti-inflammatory for a long term problem I had been having with my arm.  Long story, but end result is if I have to take anything now--I take it with a med called Carafate.  It acts just like the antacid in that it coats your stomach.  I think you doctor is RIGHT ON with the antacid idea.  Unfortunately, I did end up with a ulcer hence the carafate (this is a prescription). 

I haven't used aspirin to support a pregnancy, but I totally agree that if your dr believes you need it to support the pregnancy--then the benefits outweigh the risks.  It sounds like your dr. knows what is going on.  I would go with this, and do the aspirin with the antacid to help coat your stomach to help minimize the risk of an ulcer.  

Definately, give your body/mind time to heal--when you are ready to try again go with you/your dr.s plan.

Good Luck!

Debbie 
windowsdown
on 9/22/11 2:39 am
RNY on 11/02/10 with
Thank you Debbie for your insight I will def. look into Carafate.
SHH
on 9/22/11 5:22 am - AL
I had 2 miscarriages and was finally diagnosed with antiphospholipid antibody syndrome.  Basically blood clots were causing me to miscarry.  I took an aspirin a day with my next 2 pregnancies and now have 2 very happy and healthy little boys (3 1/2 and 22 months).  I had ZERO negative side effects from the aspirin.  It did not hurt my pouch, it did not cause ulcers or any discomfort and my surgeon said that little bit was fine.. it's the mega doses that we need to avoid.  Good luck!
Ann D.
on 9/22/11 7:49 am - Amelia, OH
I have been on baby aspirin since 2008 with no side effects.  It is such a small dose, and my surgeon had no problems with me going and staying on it.
Ann

Mom to Ean after 5 longs years of Infertility....2/29/12!

icon_angel.gif - 3/07                             icon_angel.gif - 12/07                             icon_angel.gif - 3/08 
icon_angel.gif - 5/09                             icon_angel.gif - 11/10                             icon_angel.gif - 2/11
IamMrsMcDole
on 9/22/11 12:57 pm - Anderson, IN
Ann- how are you and the babies doing?
Jessica

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

reianondillard
on 9/22/11 1:10 pm
My sister has had GB and during her whole pregnacy she took baby asprin and had no side effects she had a sucessful regnacy after 6 miscarriages so there is always hope out there!! Prayers going out for you!

apryldee
on 9/22/11 3:46 pm - houston, TX
sorry for your loss. My surgern said when taking asprin or any NSAIDS to take it with tums or any ant acid it helps coat your stumache to help lessin the chanace of an ulcer. If its truly what u want taking the asprin is worth it.

SW 280/ SW 266/ PPW 175/ CW 185

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal picture

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1278 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 876 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1346 views