Weight gain during pregnancy

Skinny_Betsy
on 9/25/11 8:41 pm - Eschenbach, Bavaria, Germany
I had my WLS in June 2010 and have lost 140lbs.  I'm almost 16 weeks pregnant now and have only gained about 3lbs.  I'm worried that the WLS and my new diet will prevent me from gaining the necessary weight for a healthy baby.  

What should I be doing to make sure I'm getting enough nutrients and gaining the proper amount of weight for this pregnancy? 

Thanks! 

Tiffany82881
on 9/25/11 10:15 pm - Raleigh, NC
 that is something  you defintaly need to consult with your ob and surgeon on.  
Skinny_Betsy
on 9/25/11 10:17 pm - Eschenbach, Bavaria, Germany
 I'd love to.... but my OB is a polish doctor working in a german clinic and I'm an english speaking american. It's hard to communicate and get answers where I am right now. lol  Plus... my suregon is in Washington state and I'm in Germany....

So, I'm asking for general advice in here! 
RachelRN
on 9/25/11 10:44 pm - Noblesville, IN
Both with my son and this pregnancy I didn't gain anything until I got into the second half of my pregnancy. I actually lost a little weight. With my son I ended up gaining about 20 lbs which I lost the day he was born. This pregnancy I have gained about 8lbs in the last month or so, but still below my prepregnancy weight. It is different for everyone, but I eventually did gain and trust me - he is a HEALTHY boy :) Good luck
Paula622
on 9/25/11 11:15 pm
As long as you're eating healthy, getting enough calories/ nutrients, and taking your vitamins I wouldn't worry too much about the scale. 

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

Tiffany82881
on 9/26/11 12:24 am - Raleigh, NC
 My doctors/nutritionist figured how many calories I would need to maintain my current body weight.  Next trimester they will have me addint a few hundred to that...and then progress on to a total weight gain of 15 to 25 lbs.  Vitamins are super important, and just make sure you are getting enough protein to keep yourself healthy.  The baby is going to get what it needs, it's all about keeping you healthy!  Enjoy!
USAF Wife
on 9/26/11 9:21 pm
You and baby will do great. The baby will get from you what it needs to thrive. The main concern is taking care of your body.

I didn't gain any real weight until well into the 2nd trimester, and then BAM, I started gaining. At my pregnancy beginning weight of 130lbs, I was prescribed a 1700-1800 calorie diet. With 100gr of protein, a minimum of 100gr of carbs, and to drink more water. That is about 400-500 calories more per day than what I was eating in maintenance. It was difficult at first, but tweaking my intake and meals per day really helped. I was also able to stay on my Celebrate multi vitamins and b12 through the entire pregnancy since the formulation meets pre-natal needs as well.

At nearly 35 weeks pregnant, I've gained about 25-26lbs and the docs are ecstatic with my weight gain. I've struggled with the gain and physical changes that have come with pregnancy, but it's manageable.

Just make good choices, nutrient dense choices, and you'll do great!

Congrats on your little bundle! ! !
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

linda.traxler
on 9/26/11 9:34 pm - Laßnitzhöhe, Austria
I 'neighbor'.... boy can I understand about the language barriers!!

If you are eating healthy, I wouldn't worry too much.  Even with folks who haven't undergone WLS, not gaining that much weight in the first couple trimesters is NOT uncommon!  Losing weight afer the morning sickness period is more of a concern.  I'm sure the docs are checking the babies growth carefully (as they do here in Austria)  and if everything is on track, I really wouldn't worry.  The recommendation is 300 extra calories a day...  with the rate the body is using cal. to maintain the baby and for baby to grow, it's often a surprise to me and so many ladies gain sooo much weight.  (I'm going out on a limb here but guessing they rather exceed the 300 cals., and I'm not judging anyone!! )

I am in the 16th week too and have lost 3 kg and gained 1 back since geting pregnant.  My baby is measuring 75th percentile for growth, labs look great and doc isn'T worried about the weight. 

With my first baby 1 lost nearly 50 pounds during pregnancy!  (I started at 350 pounds that time)  Granted I was very sick with gall bladder and pancreatitis problems.  Hannah was born at a very healthy 7 pounds.  My 2nd baby I lost 17kg and he was 4400gram....   

So, I wouldn't fret too much as long as labs look ok, you feel well and baby is measuring ok!!

Best wishes to you!
LoveLikeWinter
on 9/26/11 11:12 pm, edited 9/26/11 11:13 pm
Even though I was sick as a dog for the first 5 months I was pregnant, I've still managed to put on 21-22 lb at almost 31 weeks :) My OB was thrilled with that and said I'm doing great, so I'm trying not to worry about it. I was very underweight for my height/body type when I got pregnant (about 115 lb at 5'5' even with a ton of extra skin, so I was TINY) so she wanted me to gain closer to 35 lb. I, on the other hand, was trying to keep it to
_Heather_
Il faut souffrir pour être belle

"When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story." -Barney Stinson/Neil Patrick Harris

Lost 169 lb before getting pregnant!
Mama to Aleksandar J.B., 11.26.11 <3 Now I know what true love REALLY is! <3
(deactivated member)
on 9/27/11 6:27 am - Woodbridge, VA
As long as the baby measures fine, I don't pay any attention to my weight. I am currently about 10-12 pounds LIGHTER than when I first found out I was pregnant. I never had much nausea and no real puking or anything, just a change in appetite and an intentional change to eating healthier foods. I'm not intentionally losing weight, and I'm JUST starting my second trimester (I'm 14 weeks today). My OB has already said that they will have to do some extra "growth scans" (ultrasounds to measure) later on since they won't be able to judge the growth of the baby based on my weight since I might not gain much.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1275 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 876 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1346 views