Birth Control Question

Amy E.
on 9/28/11 2:43 pm
I had RNY 2 years ago and have always had horrible irregular menstral cycles. After the RNY I was able to get pregnant and gave birth to my daughter 5 months ago, since them my OBGYN predicted my menstrual cycle was going to return with a vengence and put me on birth control pills. Before my pregnancy I had tried the Nuvaring which made my uterus prolapse so I was no longer able to use it then I tried the Ortho Evra Patch which worked well except for the headaches and rash due to my terribly sensitive skin however this was my favorite method. Unfortunately my insurance will no longer pay for the patch and I'm unemployed. I need to mention I have a latex allergy and have issues with condoms as well. So we're trying pills with no luck I've tried 4 different kinds of pills and they've raised my blood pressure and made me bleed for 3 months straight. My OBGYN has stated due to my RNY I may not be able to properly absorb these pills and is taking me off them. So depo was mentioned and he said that would make me gain serious weight. So all thats left is an IUD or abstinance which I don't think my husband would appreciate lol. I want more children just not this soon. Have any of you had any problems after surgery with this and if so what do you suggest.
Thanxs, Amy

.HW267/SW257/CW172/GW148

Dev *.
on 9/28/11 11:14 pm - Austin, TX
I liked having a mirena IUD much better than pills or shots.

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

Kady
on 10/2/11 1:27 am - Lancaster County, PA
Actually, there is something else besides abstinence and IUD left.  It is called Implanon www.implanon.com I'll let you read about it here.  It last 3 years but can be taken out anytime.

I had my RNY surgery almost 2 weeks ago and had it placed a week before that.  It is done right in your ob/gyn office.  My doctor just numbed my inner upper arm and injected the tiny little rod-it is a progestin only birth control.  I had very regular cycles prior to it being placed even though I have PCOS.  My doctor required me to get birth control priior to my surgery, and of course, I wanted to take something even though I have never been pregnant and have even had multiple fertility treatments and been on many different fertility meds in the past. 

The NP at my ob/gyn office told me it would probably stop my cycles completely.  However, the doctor that put it in said the most common reason women have it removed is because of irregular bleeding.  And, I have been having irregular bleeding for about 2 weeks.  I am not happy about this and if it keeps up, I might get it removed and try something else.  I really dont want the Mirena only b/c it isnt recommended as much for women who have never been pregnant.

I am a nurse and used to work in a ob/gyn office and most of the patients that got the Implanon really liked it-I think I am just having some bad luck.  Anyway, I think it is worth looking into for as another option for you.

Hope this helps!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1276 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 876 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1346 views