Finally decided to post! (Sorry its long, but I have a lot to say!)

CRAZY_BEAUTiFUL
on 12/13/11 3:31 am - Newark, DE
Let me start with the story about how I found out I was pregnant: My best friend has mirena, but she was having sore boobs so she thought maybe her birth control had failed. She went to the store and bought a 2 pack of pregnancy tests. It was buy one get one free, so she ended up with 4 tests. She was afraid to take it for some reason, so I told her to give me one & I'll take it. So I peed on the stick & put it on the back of the toilet & she went in immadiately after and peed on hers. We both put our tests on the back of the toilet. We went in about 5 minutes later & one was positive & one was negative. I was like "OMG you're pregnant!!!' So she did another test and it was completely negative. She gave me the other test. I peed on it & what do you know, it was positive. My period was a day late, but I wasn't really paying attention to it. I was scared (as it is my first pregnancy) & excited at the same time.

Well, my doctor was worried about a tubal pregnancy with me because I miscalculated my LMP & thought I was much further along than I was. I went for a blood draw every two days & had it done twice & my levels were progressing normally so they scheduled me for an ultrasound which was yesterday. I found out that I'm 6w3d & my baby is due on August 4th. I got to see my baby's heartbeat & everything (I think its too early to hear it still, maybe I'll be able to hear it at my first prenatal appointment on the 21st when I'll be 7w5d.)

I do have a few questions, though: (I'm going to list them, answer any or all if you can!)

-Since I had RNY, do I need to take a chewable prenatal vitamin? I've been taking regular pills because I couldn't find chewables over the counter.

-After my RNY I lost weight in my upper body & legs, now I have extra skin & stuff in my lower stomach. I also didn't reach my goal weight because I started to have complications. Is this going to affect my ultrasounds? Are they ALWAYS going to ave to use internal ultrasounds (they did yesterday) or was it because I'm so early?

-Should I be taking any extra vitamins due to my surgery? I am taking a calcium suppliment (Citracal gummies, they're the only ones I can stomach).

Is there anything else I should know? Any help is appreciated! This is my first pregnancy, so I'm completely clueless.
MusicMaryn
on 12/13/11 4:15 am - San Jose, CA
OK... wow!  What a way to find out ur PG!  congratulations!

Prenatals: they do not need to be chewables. If you can handled pills for your other vites, then a pill is fine.  I use capsules from Vitamin Shoppe myself.

Extra skin & US's:  The first few US's will be vaginally like the one you already had.  That's true with all mommies.  Once we get further along in our pregnancy, they'll switch to external US's.  The extra skin does not get in the way of the US's. You're fine there.  The only different the extra skin can have on WLS Mommies is that since we have all the extra skin, it can take longer to show the baby bump than non-wls healthy women.  And don't worry about not making it to your goal weight.  Most people dont!

Extra Vites:  Nothing really extra other than the prenatal vite and a folic acid.  You should definitely call your bari surgeon to let him/her know you're pg.  I also had RNY and I plan on having a complete vite check (blood work) done every trimester.  The baby is going to take all the nutrients it needs and then we get what's left over for us.  The blood work every 3 mos will help you and the docs regulate your vitamin intake based on the changing nutritional needs of us pregger mommies.

Congrats again and welcome!
Our little miracle baby boy is on his way!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

PrettyPixieGirl
on 12/13/11 4:18 am
Congrats!! Thats awesome! As for the U/S question. I have a big apron of skin and still kinda fluffy in my mid section. I did not have to have internals past the first u/s. They did however have to press harder and I did have to lift skin or turn on my side. It was kind of embaressing the first time or so but the tech seemed so use to having to move bits around for the best view she didn't seem fazed. Plus then you are looking at your baby and everything else goes out the window.

Your OB might label you High Risk just due to the RNY. It's nothing to freak about and really not needed in most cases. But some enjoy it because it means you get extra growth u/s. If you haven't gotten your vit lvl's checked lately then ask your OB if they will draw them.

HW:260+ SW: 248 Pre-Preg 180 Post-Preg Starting Wt: 225 Current PP wt: 195 GW: 170ish. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/13/11 5:39 am - Woodbridge, VA
Congrats!

No chewable supplements required - if you could swallow pills before, you can swallow pills now. I didn't even switch to a prenatal since I was already taking a good multi, calcium, iron, vit C, vit D, zinc, and B12 - I continued all and added a DHA supplement (supposedly excellent for baby brain development). What supplements had you been taking before pregnancy? If you needed B12 before, for example, I would continue that. Just be careful of vitamin A (if you'd been taking it) since it can cause problems if you take a lot in retinol or palmitate form during pregnancy.

I didn't even have a vaginal ultrasound for my very first one, just a regular abdominal ultrasound. I have tons of excess skin and flab around my middle (never reached my goal, either).
Mell
on 12/13/11 9:40 pm
Congratulations! I am due August 7th! I am a lap bander but I have tons of extra skin. I just had my second daughter about 7 months ago and the only problem I had with the skin is that I did not show right away. And I noticed that from nearly the start my pants were tight. I did not gain much weight in the early months but from bloating, and the baby with all that extra skin my pants were tight almost right away. Good luck, no vitamin advice since we are not the same in that way.
Keep us posted!!
CRAZY_BEAUTiFUL
on 12/14/11 12:33 am - Newark, DE
I've also noticed that my pants were tight. Everyone is telling that that it isn't possible because I'm not far enough along, but apparently it is! LOL I'm going this weekend to buy a few pairs of new pants. I'm sick of squeezing.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1272 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 875 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1345 views