New to Pregnancy Board - HELLO!

charlottesobers
on 12/19/11 12:26 am - Baton Rouge, LA
Hello, everyone! I am a patient of VSG almost exactly two years ago. I met my goal weight of 175 (from 315) about a year ago and have been maintaining my weight since then. My husband and I found out recently that we are expecting and I am about eight weeks pregnant. I have this question that's probably what alot of people want to know post WLS with pregnancy - What will happen with my "bump"??

I have an apron of leftover skin that hangs down from my belly, but I wear about a size 10/12 in spite of that. I was wondering if anyone who has some leftover skin could let me know when they started to show or if it affected the way their bump came in at all?

Thanks again for any input and I'm looking forward to hearing anyone's stories of their experience with pregnancy post-op.

Charlotte

onlyoneboy
on 12/19/11 2:23 am - St. Paul Park, MN
I can't anwser your question since I was a light weight to begin.  Just wanted to say Congrats!

(deactivated member)
on 12/19/11 2:24 am - Woodbridge, VA

My stats are very similar to yours - I had a VSG plus a little malabsorption (technicall a DS for insurance purposes, but not nearly the amount of malabsorption of a "normal" DS...long story), and I got pregnant just after 2 years post-op. My starting weight was 308.5, and I got down to about the mid 180s.

In my first trimester, I lost weight and got down to about 175. Now I'm up to the low-mid 190s, and I'm 26 weeks along tomorrow. According to my OB's office scale (just had an appointment this morning), I'm up a total of 11 pounds overall, which she said is really good for 26 weeks.

I definitely have an apron of skin. Mine is pretty bad - if I stand up naked in front of a mirror, it completely covers my pubic area and reaches the tops of my thighs. I didn't have a visible "bump" until about 20-21 weeks, and I think that's because I still had both some fat around my middle and all that extra skin. Now, I definitely look pregnant when I'm clothed, but under those clothes, I still have sagging skin that hangs. I sort of have a top half and bottom half of my stomach; the top half sags over my belly button, and the bottom half sags as the apron. My belly button is currently still hidden under that top half of sag, and my apron still hangs under my belly.

I can't wear all the different types of maternity pants because of my apron. I buy only the ones with a "full panel." Those that are designed with a stretchy waist to sit right below the "belly" just squish into my apron and sort of give me an icky muffin top effect with my skin, and they don't stay up well. With the full panel pants, I actually look pregnant instead of just questionably fat   :P

As my belly continues to grow, I think some of the skin will fill out a bit more, but that apron will always be hanging there. I'm kind of hoping that I'll eventually fill out enough to be able to see my belly button without having to hold my top stomach sag up, but I'm not holding my breath!

Meginsf
on 12/19/11 4:05 am - WA

First off congrats :-) and welcome to the prego board. Im 30 weeks 6 days pregnant. I started off at 320 and got down to 195 by the time i was found out i was prego i was 11 months post op. I have only gained 7 pounds so far. from my scale. The drs scale iv only gained 5 pounds. I have also have 2 sections of belly the part above my belly botton and then the apron. I dont look pregnant even now. I just look fat. Im able to wear my pre preg jeans although that wont last to much longer they are finally getting a little snug. Im also carrying very high. I havnt needed to get any maternity shirt since i can wear my normal shirts still. I will be going and buying a pair or 2 of maternity pants with the full panel sence the 2 i have with the band that is sapose to go under basically fit like a normal pair of pants on me and its way un comfy if i wear them the way they are sapose to. Plus i dont have the prego belly for them to go under.
  Starting weight 320 weight a preop 300 Current weight 198 goal weight 160  
Lilypie Maternity tickers
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1265 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 873 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1343 views