Having a hard time GAINING weight...

Johnna A.
on 4/19/12 8:26 am - Dallas, TX
I am currently 5 1/2 years post-op (RNY) and after a 2 1/2 year fertility struggle, we are FINALLY expecting the sweetest little blessing.... a baby girl due July 18th

I am now 27 weeks and everything has been great!  Baby's measurements are perfect and she's very active.  My concern is, from the beginning, I have only gained *4* lbs!!  I asked my Dr. if he's concerned, he said "Not at all... She is measuring fine, right along schedule!"  My amnio fluid has always looked fine too.  I suppose if my Dr. is not concerned, maybe I shouldn't be either (???)

I have heard that some women gain more in the last trimester, which I'm just entering.  I just never thought there would be a day in my life that I need to GAIN weight and have to really work at it.

What's your take on this?  I did start out at what they consider overweight - borderline obese (although I did lose 130 lbs. from my surgery and have kept it off for 5 years )  From that I've heard you should only gain 11-15 lbs.  Maybe my 4 lbs so far isn't too far off?

Just some friendly feedback would be appreciated! 

Thanks a bunch!!

Johnna
Celia S.
on 4/19/12 8:32 am - Grand Junction, CO
If baby is doing just fine and growing like she should, I, like your OB wouldn't be concerned at all about the lack of weight gain. :)

Congrats!
Paula622
on 4/19/12 11:02 am
If you're overweight/obese, most doctors wouldn't care if you didn't gain any weight as long as the baby is measuring fine.  I really wouldn't go crazy trying to gain weight because the baby will get everything it needs from you. Just make sure you're taking all your vites and eating a balanced variety of foods to get good nutrients.  With my first pregnancy I didn't gain any weight until 26 weeks, but gained about a pound a week after that for a total of about 20lbs by the time I delivered at 41 weeks. 

Good luck!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/12 12:21 pm - Woodbridge, VA
I LOST weight in the first half of my pregnancy. If doc isn't concerned and baby is measuring on target, I wouldn't worry about it.
Amber J.
on 4/21/12 2:01 pm - Kirkland, WA
 I'm just over a year out from WLS and my baby girl is also due on July 18th! :) I lost 15 pounds during the first trimester because I just wasn't able to keep anything down. i was living on broth for the most part. As of today, I've gained 6 of that back. My doctor doesn't seem especially concerned but she does give me the 'evil eye' when I haven't gained any weight at all. My weight loss surgeon has actually told me to start eating more fast food! LOL! I'm really struggling to get calories in and generally can fit about 1100. Mostly because I'm still really trying to eat healthy and not just shovel in Big Macs. That said, my baby looks and acts totally healthy so I'm going to keep working on it but not stress too much unless they tell me to. :)

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1262 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 870 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1340 views