POST OP OUT OF SURGERY 5.5 MONTHS PREGNANT

Yas
on 8/1/12 10:52 am - philadelphia, PA
HI!! Ive been out of surgery for 5.5 months just found out iam pregnant my first appointment is 08/17/2012 im so scared it has not been a year yet!!!! just wondering what to expect???
Paula622
on 8/1/12 11:01 am
First of all, congratulations!

What procedure did you have?  That will have some impact on your course of action.  I had the sleeve done in August 2010 and got pregnant six months later (intentionally) and went on to have a perfectly happy healthy pregnancy and baby.  If you had a procedure with malabsorbtion (bypass or DS) you'll probably need to be extra vigilant about getting labs checked and taking vitamins.  Regardless of the procedure though, you'll need to keep an eye on your vitamins, fluids, and protein intake.  Eat what you can, and take care of yourself. Things will likely be just fine!  Good luck.

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

Yas
on 8/1/12 12:15 pm - philadelphia, PA
i had the bypass february 28,2012 mines was not planned but im very happy thanks for the advice
Celia S.
on 8/1/12 2:11 pm - Grand Junction, CO
Hi there! Just want you to know that you're not alone. I was also 5.5 months post op when I found out about my little surprise. I'm now 22 weeks pregnant and everything is going super smoothly so far.

You'll have to work extra hard to get in enough calories for you and baby. Try to eat 6 meals a day. Keep up your protein, but you'll also need to add carbs and healthy fats back into your diet because baby needs them to develop properly. Make sure to keep up with your vitamins - they are ESPECIALLY important now! You also will need to add in a prenatal vitamin and (possibly) extra folic acid and a DHA supplement. As much as you may not want to, let your surgeon's office know about the pregnancy and put them on your prenatal care team. I am having my labs drawn every three months to make sure my levels stay good and I speak with my NUT once a month, too. Most OB's do not have experience dealing with post WLS patients, so it's important to maintain communication and care with your surgeon.

Talk to your OB about an alternative to the glucose tolerance testing that they do at the end of the second trimester/beginning of the third trimester. The drink that they give you will likely make you dump if you are sensitive to sugars and that'll just put undue stress on you and baby. Because you're still in the active weight loss phase, baby's growth could be an issue. Your OB may want to do extra ultrasounds later on in the pregnancy to check on baby's progress. On the other hand, they may not have you doing extra growth scans unless your uterus is measuring smaller than it should be. Nonetheless, these are things to talk to your doc about :)

Finally, relax and enjoy the ride! :) Best wishes for a happy, healthy 9 months!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1272 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 874 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1345 views