Birth Control Shot side effects after surgery...

desireelynn
on 12/9/12 3:43 am
RNY on 06/26/12

Hello Everyone,

I decided to post in this group because you all are a lot nicer than some of those out in the main forum or the RNY one so hopefully noone minds. Last Monday I had to have an pelvic ultrasound along with a regular ultrasound because back in October I had my period for 5 weeks and I just had it again for 3 weeks. The dr was ofcourse checking for fibroids and anything else that could be going wrong up there! I got a call on Friday that the ultrasound came back normal and that it is most likely just my body reacting differently to my birth control shot because when I was on the depo prior to surgery I NEVER had surgery...so with that said I really do not want to remain on the depo shot and a lot of the other birth controls that I have been on before had crazy wicked side effects for me sooooo that leaves me with not being on birth control but I am only 6 months out and even doing the pull out method or condoms I still run the risk of pregnancy...I guess im just asking for your thoughts comments....im CONFUSED to say the least... Thank you to all of you in advance...

"Suck it up and someday you wont have to suck it in"

Stacey D.
on 12/9/12 6:41 am - Harrisonburg, VA

I did the mirena IUD the two years in between my pregnancies.  It worked great for me.  I didn't have my period except right at the beginning for the first couple months, I would have it spastically, but after I didn't have a period.  No problems with it.

Good luck as everyone responds differently to each type, for myself, pills didn't seem to work well as I have problems absorbins, even at 7 years out....

Hope you find right BC...Stacey

Stacey
RNY-10/27/04

desireelynn
on 12/9/12 6:48 am
RNY on 06/26/12

Thanks Stacey! I have had all kinds of birth controls and it just doesnt respond well to my body so im thinking of just coming off birth control all together...decisions decisions...

Celia S.
on 12/9/12 9:12 am - Grand Junction, CO

Everything hormonal messes with my body in a bad way, too. I had 3 week long periods the whole 3 months that Depo was in my system and I was miserable!!!

DH and I are also pretty much confined to the various barrier methods which have their issues, too, and withdrawl/natural family planning.... but then again I found myself pregnant 5.5 months post op as a result. If it happens despite your best efforts to prevent it, it was obviously meant to be and it's not going to kill you if it does happen. Don't put your body through all that stress and misery, though. If the hormones don't agree with you, lay off and do what you can with what you have :)

P.S. my early post-op pregnancy was healthier than my pre-op pregnancy. No complications and I had a beautiful and healthy baby boy.

determineddanni
on 12/9/12 9:52 pm

personally i love my depo. the first 6 months will be off kilter but after that 6 months no period. they say to always wait at least 6 months and wait out the early side effects. my doctor explained this to me and so i didn't have high expectations for the first 6 months. after that time i don't have any periods and i enjoy that it doesn't affect my mood.

what i have learned about BC is that it's all trial and error. every body is different and every body reacts differently. for example: any estrogen based BC makes me a raging ***** lol progestrone BC is ideal for me:)

you might have to go through a couple BC's to find what works best for you.

i am stopping my depo this jan because i want to start trying for a child some time this spring or summer

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

TraceyC
on 12/9/12 10:22 pm - DFW, TX

I have a copper IUD. No hormones. It isn't supposed to be as effective as Mirena, but when I had Mirena I was a mess. I couldn't handle the meds in it. The difference between the two is fractional at best as far as effectiveness. I had my first one placed about 18 years ago, and when it was time to replace it ten years later I went with Mirena. Like I said, I became a bundle of hormonal nerves that was on her way to being incarcerated for killing someone. lol After about 6 months I got that taken out and decided to try and have a baby, When he turned 8 weeks old I had a new copper IUD placed again. It's been almost two years and no complications other than my first two periods being somewhat heavier- which could have to do with the IUD or the previous pregnancy.   

Good luck!

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. Walt Disney 
http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10728;28/st/20110112/n/Blake/dt/-1/k/3fb3/s-age.png">>

desireelynn
on 12/10/12 1:52 am
RNY on 06/26/12

Thank you'll for responding. The crazy thing is prior to surgery while on depo I never had a period now it's off the hook but maybe it's just my weight change and my body trying to adjust to that? I don't know I was going to just go off birth control all together but after thinking about it and me only being 6 months post op I'm thinking maybe I just need to stay on it so I don't get pregnant so early out.... Decisions decisions... 

deemyers
on 12/31/12 5:04 am
VSG on 02/05/13

while we are overweight we trap an enormous amount of estrogen in our fat cells. While we are losing, that plus the added hormones of the depo shot will seriously through you into a hormonal frenzy. This is probably why you have been having heavy episodes of bleeding. While you may have had issues with other birth controls previously, you may want to re-examine those options - given that you do not want to get pregnant at this time (good idea). A low dose birth control will probably benefit you and keep you safe. Good luck!

Alice P.
on 12/31/12 8:47 am

I would stick it out and see what happens--I  haven't done bc shots but being post op and rapid weight loss really does mess with your hormones and periods.  That being said it also makes many VERY fertile.  I am 40 and went off my birth control and got pregnant immediately, miscarried and got pregnant immediately again.  Pre op I never had a regular period and need fertility meds to get pregnant so this is a definite change for me. 

I was told 2 methods of birth control immediately post op--we used nuva ring and condoms then after 6 months went to just nuva ring--but I do remember some very heavy long periods in the 1st year post op.

HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1261 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 870 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1339 views