Fills for realize band

mrsandoval
on 7/5/11 8:52 am - NM
Can anyone tell me what their band fill schedule was for the first year. 

I had my surgery on the 27th of May and had my first fill of 5CC on 23 Jun 2011 and am scheduled to receive another 1/2 CC on the 14th of July.  I do not  feel any real restriction yet to speak of exept when i take to big of bites or eat too fast.  Although I have lost 15 lbs I feel it should be more.

purple39lady
on 7/5/11 11:54 am
From what I have heard from others, everyone is different.  I am relatively new at this as well.  I had my surgery on the 3rd of May and had my first fill in June.  I received 5cc.  I did feel some restriction and have lost a total of 25 altogether, but after my last fill I am losing about 1-2 a week.  Pretty normal.  Everyone tells me to be patient.  Hopefully others will jump in and give you more input.  Good luck. 
mrsandoval
on 7/5/11 12:39 pm - NM
How much did your surgeon put in for you second fill? How often are you getting filled.
purple39lady
on 7/5/11 12:52 pm
Sorry ms. I am misspoke in my post.  I have only had one fill.  I go back this Friday and may get more added at that time. 
shortstuff0524
on 7/5/11 12:10 pm
Hello.

I am new to the forum and going in to see the surgeon next week for my initial consultation.  I am leaning towards the Realize band but what is the difference between the Realize band and regular lap band???? Also, does anyone know if you have had a Nissen Fundoplication surgery done for GERD can you still have a Realize band done? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Good luck with you band fill on 7/14/11.
mrsandoval
on 7/5/11 12:46 pm - NM
There does not seem to be a lot of difference. I think realize comes in one size and the lap has a clouple of sizes. Also the way the port is attached is slightly different. There are some web sites that compare the two. I don't think there are any major differences. I was drawn to the realize band. I'm thinking the difference is like coke or pepsi. I personally liked the realize display in the DRs office better than lap band.
crystal M.
on 7/6/11 5:27 am - Joliet, IL
I have had 9 fills (and one tiny unfill) over 2 1/2 years.  My doctor was strict about only doing fills every 6 weeks.  He never allowed us to come in every 4 weeks.  Which drove me nuts.  My first fill I got 5 ccs, my second fill I got 1.5 ccs.  After that I got anywhere from .2 ccs to .5 ccs.  Each fill got smaller and smaller as he was tweaking the amount.  He has to be careful not to over fill you, so he would only give me a little at a time.  It took forever but I finally got a good fill. 

I go in now only after 30-40 lbs is lost (I'm due for another appointment soon).  My doctor told me that after losing so much weight that you should come in for a small adjustment because as you are losing weight, you are also losing visceral fat too(visceral is fat around the organs).  Losing visceral fat can loosen your band up because you are losing fat around your actual stomach. 

You will get to your optimum fill, it may take 3 fills or it may take 10.  It just takes a lot of time and patience.   
Kim U.
on 7/6/11 11:26 am
Every doc is different but I would just fallow what they suggest. I think getting filled more slowly is better when I got bigger fills they seemed to not really agree with me the tighter I got. I've gotten 2 unfills and I think both times were just because I should have filled more slowly because today I am the same place I was before I got the 2nd unfill.
Amy B.
on 7/6/11 12:01 pm
 I've had 2 fills since my surgery in February but am only at 3.5 cc right now. Mine have been every 6 weeks, but this time it'll be more like 8. I'm scheduled to go back in on June 25th. Each fill, I start to feel a little more restricted, so I'm hoping this next one will be the "magic fill." Good luck!
Tom C.
on 7/6/11 1:00 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Each Doctor is different how they approach fills. Some Doctors do it on a ‘schedule’ (x amount of weeks), others (like My Doctor) feel a fill should only be done when your weight loss slows/stops/reverses or you can eat larger amounts.

I had a fill done at 6 months, and 6 months after that (1 year). And haven’t had one since, and I’ve been 3+ years.

As for your weight loss, don't forget the 'average' weight loss is 1 to 2 pounds a week. So 15 pounds is great.

Good luck, and know we’re here for you

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active