Realize Band.

horseychick
on 10/18/11 1:22 am
 Hello!  I am new to the forums and hopefully having my surgery soon, pending insurance.

Any tips for me?

I am excited and nervous at once. :)

How long should I expect for recovery?
How long did you have to wait to start exercising again?
Is there any food you absolutely cannot tolerate anymore?

Thanks in advance!
Tom C.
on 10/18/11 10:58 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Dear Horseychick,

Most people on the boards know that (A) most of views are based on MY EXPERIENCES, and not scientific facts. So, I may tell you something, and you may hear something different from your Doctor, or someone else may experience different results. (B) I tell the truth (well the truth that I have lived). Sometimes MY TRUTH is different from another, but again it’s based on my personal experience (C) Some of my advice/suggestions/views may seem insensitive, but it’s not meant to be. All I try to do is be helpful. I want to see everyone succeed. And with this in mind, sometimes one needs to be “harsh" and not beat around the bush. And know what I am preaching to one is really me preaching to MYSELF (D) I can be long winded. So make sure you have enough time and aren’t drowsy – because you will be in the end. Now that you know me, I will answer your questions:

Tip: Remember the band is only a tool, and not a cure all. The band will not work alone. People need to adhere to the rules set by their Doctors and/or Nutritionists. Remember, they put the tool around your stomach, and not around your brain. There are a lot of “rules" you need to follow in order to be successful. The TOOL does not do it for you. YOU DO IT FOR YOU – the TOOL helps. Think of a hammer and nail – to drive in the nail, it’s almost impossible to do it without a tool.  And when you have one, the hammer doesn’t do it all by itself. YOU need to SWING THE HAMMER. The hammer makes it a whole lot easier, but it’s STILL YOU WHO IS DOING THE WORK. – Understand?

RECOVER: Recovery is subjective, and everyone’s pain tolerance is different. In addition, it also depends how the operation is done (open vs. laparoscopic), and the Doctor’s skill. For me, the first 24 hours the only pain I had was what I describe as if I did 100 sit-ups (or in my case back then – 1). By the second day, I swore that I was “taken" because I had no pain. I could have gone back to work right away, but I waited a few weeks (that’s a different thread). Now, I know someone who had the same type of operation by the same Doctor and was in pain for a week. Just realize once the “operation pain" goes away, you should feel NO FURTHER PAIN (as long as everything is fine).

Exercise: After discussing with my Doctor I was back working out in the GYM in 3 weeks. However, the day of the operation you should “exercise". I won’t lie, this is an important KEY to losing weight. What I won’t also lie about is – I HATED IT!! The only gym I loved going to was Jim’s Diner down the street. But, now (almost 4 years later) I am running 5 & 10K.

For anyone who had this operation, and hates exercising this is what I tell them – you need to DO SOMETHING!!! I am not saying, go to the gym and become Arnold Schwarzenegger – but do SOMETHING. What I always suggest is the following "exercise" program.  Day 1 – get up from the couch  - walk to the front door – open the front door - close the door – DONE. Day 2 – get up from the couch – walk to the front door – open the front door – walk down the steps – go back inside – DONE.  Day 3 – get up from the couch – walk to the front door – open the front door – walk down the steps – go down the drive way - go back inside – DONE. Day 4 – get up from the couch – walk to the front door – open the front door – walk down the steps – go down the drive way – go ½ way down the block – come back home  DONE. Day 5– get up from the couch – walk to the front door – open the front door – walk down the steps – go down the drive way – go ALL THE way down the block – come back home  DONE. Day 6 & 7 rest … Day 8 – get up from the couch – walk to the front door – open the front door – walk down the steps – go down the drive way – go ALL way down the block – go ½ down the other block -- come back home  DONE. .. you get the picture … Once you're up to 30 minutes then keep doing this until YOU DECIDE you want to go further. ..  Also, do the ‘silly things’ – such as if you go shopping; instead of parking in the 1st spot – park at the furthest end of the lot and WALK into the store, and walk around. .. When taking the elevator, go one floor below the floor you need, and walk up 1 flight of steps … If you need to change the tv channel – get UP and MANUALLY change it instead of using the remote.

Foods: For me I can eat ALMOST everything, but again this is all independent of the person. You’ll find some folks can’t eat meat/bread/fruit/vegetables/etc, while others can. For me I purposely stay away from things because I know it will be a trigger food. So while I could eat pizza, I don’t.

I hope this answered your questions.

OK, I now have bored the &#^^@@ out of you. Just know (A) you’re not alone (B) I am here if you need.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
horseychick
on 10/18/11 11:55 pm
 Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for the detailed reply, it was honestly what I was looking for.

I have been reading the forums and they are admittedly scaring me a bit.

I have been working on weight loss for years, I have managed to lose 60 on my own and am a regular exerciser, but I tend to yo yo diet/lose and regain.
This time I am ready to lose it all for good.

I was considering a sleeve but the doctor I am working with thinks I would be happier with the realize band.

Thanks again,

HC
trying2findmyself
on 10/20/11 10:38 pm - Allen, OK
Hello Horseychick,
I am a realize band patient and I love my decision to have this procedure done! Just like you I had my heart set on the sleeve but my insurance wouldn't cover it and my surgeon advised me that the realize band would be a good WLS for me! He was right! I had my surgery Wednesday April 27th 2010 I started at 217 lbs Sz. 16-18 pants and 1X Tops and am proud to say I know wear size 8 jeans and sm/med. Tops! and weigh 156 lbs! I started walking 30 minutes after surgery, they get you up and moving that quickly! I walked my 3 1/2 miles the 2nd day after my surgery! Now everyone is different keep that in mind. I have had incredible luck with my realize band! Never sick knock on wood! Feel free to add me as a friend and check out my profile. You get Great Support on OH help please keep us updated and good luck with your WLS Journey!

Stacy

Most Active