Had an RNY to DS revision? Got a sec to help me?

Amber L.
on 4/30/11 6:57 pm - Sweden
Hey folks,

I am on a waiting list for an RNY, but have recently decided I would MUCH prefer the DS. I am trying to put together an "arguing packet" for my doctor for when I am sure he's going to say the DS isn't right for me. (He's not my surgeon, he just does all the preliminary work and sends his recommendation to the board of surgeons.) Does anyone want to share some personal reasons from revising from the RNY to DS? I know the basics and my reasons for wanting to get the DS, but I would just love to have real stories from people who have had RNY and why they eventually chose to revise to a DS.

Thank you so much in advance,
Amber
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f*ckin' perfect.
Pink!

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/11 11:35 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Hi,

Part of my revision was due to an extra prolene mesh band around the stoma. It was too tight, caused constant vomiting, and I couldn't eat solid protein sources. I was developing esophageal erosion due to the vomiting, foaming, etc.

Other reasons why I revised:

After 3 years, weight started creeping back. I had to stick to Weigh****chers to lose any weight, and wound up both protein and iron deficient despite following my doctor's supplement plan. The malabsorption of calories goes away, but the malabsorption of vitamins doesn't.

I had reactive hypoglycemia and dumping. Who needs that?  Don't have it with the DS.  Look up figures on both of those, and right there you have a valid medical reason for choosing the DS.

I have PCOS. Following a low-carb diet is the best plan for PCOS, and with the RNY I couldn't. I gained weight no matter what I did by year 5. I had my doctor track a 1200 calorie a day diet for 6 months as a prelude to my revision, and I didn't lose at all. I hovered around 221.

I wanted to take nsaids without problem.

I didn't want my daughter to think that puking after meals was normal.

Statistically, I did well with the RNY, dropping from 328 to 175, but quickly bounced to 200. I stayed around there, lost a little after plastic surgery (back down to 175-180) but I became so sick, so anemic, that I couldn't continue dieting like that. I went up to 221, settled there, and stayed there until the DS revision.

If I didn't have the vomiting, dumping,  and anemia issues, I think I would have been content and figured it was just the way things were supposed to be. Now I'm so much happier, it's amazing. I think the DS offers a better quality of life.
Amber L.
on 4/30/11 11:37 pm - Sweden
Thank you so much for sharing. All of the things you experienced are things I am afraid of.
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f*ckin' perfect.
Pink!

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/11 11:42 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Believe me, I understand. I wish I'd known more back in 2003.
airbender
on 5/2/11 8:37 am
Amber

suggest posting your question on the DS forum as there are quite a few rny to ds revisions....good luck to you
Renfairewench
on 5/4/11 12:14 pm
 I decided to revise from RNY to DS because I was gaining weight. When I had my RNY in 1999 I weighed in at 430 pounds. I really didn't see any possibility of losing 300 pounds or even less than that. RNY was considered "the GOLD standard" and though I had heard about the Duodenal Switch when I asked my surgeon about it his reply was "well, it's just like a distal (now called an eRNY) gastric bypass.  I trusted my surgeon and so I didn't do due diligence and I didn't research it like I had researched RNY. I just went with the RNY. So  I lost 220 pounds and got to 210 and never lost more weight. My weight just stopped and that was it and where I maintained for about four years after which I started gaining weight and from years 4 to 10 I ended up gaining 92 pounds. To put that in perspective I gained about 48% of the weight that I lost.  One thing that the doctor didn't tell me was that Severely Morbidly Obese people gain more like 40-50% of their excess weight loss weight back starting around the forth/fifth year of RNY post op. Actually, I was told that I might gain 10-20%. What a lie.  Anyway, I wasn't happy with myself and I hated that no matter how much I dieted I still continued to gain weight. In addition to weight gain I really wanted to not dump, which I did frequently.

My revision was not easy and I had a lot of post op complications, several which led to some chronic problems for a year and a half. It took another large operation to fix me up, but in the process I lost my pylorus and another 1/3 of my stomach. 

Remember to think twice and cut once.

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Ms S.
on 5/20/11 3:34 pm, edited 5/20/11 3:35 am
Long term success rate of expected weight loss was better. I don't know if you're Dr will care to hear it but personally, I wouldn't try to sell him on it. Your body, your future, your time, YOUR MONEY, your decision. Period.
You likely have all the technical info you need to pop it to him but as for why I did it: I didn't want to be a 1 + 2x revision. Post op, I can't believe I can eat the way I do and the weight not only fell off but stays off. RNY constipation, gone. Dumping? Gone. Eat a cookie and get sleepy -psshhh! I eat pretty much what I want - and at 3yrs out, I totally feel satiated with normal amounts of food. Had I done an RNY, I would've panicked every time I got on the scale. My DS decision in combination with my choice of surgeon gave me a peace of mind that I wouldn't have had with an RNY revision.

No worries. No regrets.

edited to add: RNY (1998) to DS conversion (2008)

Most Active