Help - IOWAN looking for good surgeon to do a revision from my VBG done in 1999

12Rowrena
on 6/6/11 12:01 pm, edited 6/6/11 1:30 pm - Reinbeck, IA
The Doctor that performed my VBG in 1999 has since retired and I need someone new.  I seen Dr. Cosner in Grinnell last year and was turned down for a revision mainly because of the psychiatrist I seen in Grinnell.  Since last year my reasons for needing a revision have gotten so much worse.  I have been suffering with High Blood pressure that has been uncontrollable, I've went from a CiPap to a BiPap for Sleep apnea, urine incontinence, heartburn, arthritis and the major one Chronic Back Pain that is getting worse.  I have had three failed back surgeries since my VBG with nerve damage down my left leg and into my foot.  I was just told by my podiatrist that I need surgery on my foot.  I do not want to increase my pain medicine because I believe as does my family doctor that if I were to lose this weight my pain and all the other problems would be under control.  I called Dr. Cosner's office last Friday and left a message and they didn't call back so I called them again today and was told that since I was already told no through their committee that they would not consider me again.  I do not feel this is fair at all.  I need a Doctor in Iowa that is good with revisions from a VBG and accepts UnitedHealthCare through John Deere.  I'm hoping someone out there has a good referral for me to try.  Please I will take any advice anyone has.  I was so disappointed with Dr. Cosner's office this morning because they have no idea what all my co-morbidities are and how they have gotten so much worse since last year and I do believe they ought to reconsider people and not stick with a NO from a year ago.  HELP ME!
(deactivated member)
on 6/6/11 9:01 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Are you willing to travel? Revisions are a tricky business. Not everyone can take down a vbg.

Alysia had a vbg to ds revision recently and is doing very well, but she came up to NJ to see Dr. Greenbaum.
12Rowrena
on 6/6/11 11:20 pm - Reinbeck, IA
I'd prefer to stay in Iowa because of distance but I may have no choice.  How many visits to Dr. Greenbaum do you have to make before and after surgery?  I'd have to fly and I would also have to save up the money for that.  He would also have to be a UnitedHealthCare provider because I cannot afford to pay for the whole procedure either. 

I am disabled due to my back, leg and foot.  So driving that far with my pain and nerve damage is out of the question.  But it's worth consideration if I can't find someone closer to home.  Like I said above, I do not believe Dr. Coster is being totally fair.  I didn't mess with the pyschiatrist he sent me to at all.  I passed the tests but after answering all his questions about my family life he decided I was too stressed out to have the surgery and Dr. Coster then said something about my pouch not being stretched or something like that and obviously it is.  I believe any doctor should look at a patient at least one more time to see if it is necessary. 

Thank  you for your idea and I will keep it in mind.
kim W.
on 6/7/11 4:55 am - west des moines, IA
Try Dr. Anthone in Omaha. He doesnt state he does revisions but he does on a case by case. It doesnt hurt to call and see if he will see you. The drive is not that bad I make it in 2 hours from DesMoines. There staff are nice and he is real nice too. I do not know if they take your insurance you will have to call them.
This will be the closest person to see other than going to the other DS DR.s

Start-Revision RNY 02/17/2012- 402#, 2 months- down 55 #, 3 months-339

rebeccaford
on 6/11/11 5:07 pm - Honolulu, HI
I wish I could help you find a surgeon, but I can't.  I just wanted to drop you a note of encouragement to keep looking and find someone to fix your VBG.  My life changed dramatically the day after my revision.  Good luck!
Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG
4/6/2009 Open RNY Revision
6/08/2011  - I've lost 155 lbs! size 8-10

Most Active