BEEN APPROVED FOR REVISION!

Caryn W.
on 8/25/11 1:55 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Worried about scar tissue and other possiblities with removal of a lap band I have had for 7 years. Also having hiatal hernia repair...at the same time...what do you think the pain levels will be?
mjst220
on 8/26/11 5:37 am
I dont have any answers for you but I do have the same questions...I had lap band in 2008 and am awaiting insurance approval for revision to rny. I am afraid of the scar tissue also, I have no fluid in it but can still feel it kind of pulling or something..weird. Best of Luck!
TamaraL
on 8/26/11 1:02 pm
Right after surgery I was very, very sore. I got up and exercised immediately and I think this helped a lot.  My surgeon only did 1 cut.  He cut me where the port was and then maneauvered the muscles to do the RNY.

Did your surgeon say he would cut you 1 time or 2 times due to the hernia repair???

Please start walking and moving around as soon as you can.  I think this is what helped me the most.

Tamara

Caryn W.
on 8/27/11 2:00 am - Las Vegas, NV

We haven't had our pre-op talk...as I live in Las Vegas, and my surgery is in San Diego. So...the day of my pre-op..I will find out the details, i guess.   I have a abdominal CT scheduled on the 6th...and then my pre-op is that same day.

How long did you have a drain? And how long were you in the hospital for...tamara?  My surgery  is on Wednesday...and the doctor said I should be released on Friday. I am just curious as what my pain level will be...and if I will have a drain also.

I don't really what to expect...surgery wise.

RogerB
on 8/27/11 7:36 am - Laredo, TX
I had Vertical Banded Gastroplasty (VBG) to the RNY last Monday the 22nd.  The Surgeon also repaired a large hiatal hernia. The revision was done laparoscopiclly and the first procedure in 1997 was done open. I was in the hospital 2 nights and released I still have a drain. The surgeon said I had alot more scar tissue than anticipated but still was done laparoscopiclly .  The pain mostly I believe is from the gas but its not to bad. The first procedure hurt 10x what this procedure did. 

After you wake up you will be in some pain and they will get you up to walk around.  Not too bad. What sucks the most is not being able to drink anything until after they check you on day 2. They keep your mouth moist with sponge on a stick. 
airbender
on 8/27/11 11:27 am
i had the lap band longer than you did, and I also have had 6 abdominal surgeries, so my adhesions were severe,  I had it removed, hiatal hernia repaired, nissen fundoplication, for day 1-4 PO it was painful to swallow....due to the wrap, it was a stabbing pain, but it went away slowly.....
Caryn W.
on 8/27/11 12:39 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for the information everyone...i appreciate it. I am a pretty tough cookie. I mean, it takes a lot to get to me, with pain that is. I do hope this surgery goes smoothly...i am kinda scared, but eager to get rid of this band. :) 

How long will you have your drain?? 
Kris B.
on 8/27/11 10:57 pm - Visalia, CA
I just had my Gastric Revision Aug 24.  I am four days out and feeling pretty good.  The surgery lasted about two hours, though he also repaired a hiatal hernia.  Surgery was at three pm.  I was up and around by about nine pm.   They also had me on the Morphine drip, which I did not know it made you thristy.  I drank so much water so quickly, and had no problems.  I stopped the Morphine as soon as I realized it was that which made my mouth so dry.  I went on liquid tylenol.  That did the job fine for me.  The hernia pain was obvious the first two days, right between my breast area.  It was more of a pressure.  Also, I never had a drain.  The Dr. said he pulled out a lot of scar tissue and lengthened my Roun ENY.  He said since my original Gastric Bypass ten years ago, the Roun ENY shrunk.  Since that time, the knowledge regarding this procedure became greater, they figured out how to fix this. 

Anyway, I had a total revision, scar tissue removed and RNY stretched.  Oh...and the herinia repaired.  There is one thing, I am currently on the liquid diet until Tues....my post op.  I have been getting these left shoulder pains.  Before my surg, I would only get this when I was full.  Now, I usually haven't drank anything...but I still have it.  I guess I will bring that up to him on Tues. 

I hope this helps anyone.  Let me know if there is any questions.  I will also be researching this sight for left side shoulder pain issues. 

Have a great Day!!

Kris    Orig RNY 4-22-02/Rev 8-24-11   Orig Wt - 234  after first 140 (and gained about 20 up to 160)    Currently after Rev  157 -  progress to follow.
Caryn W.
on 8/27/11 11:21 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Kris,
  Thanks for the input. So..you had a revision weighing 160? My starting weight is 216 for my revision...from the lap band. You didn't have a drain? Wow...I thought everyone got a drain...I guess it just depends on the fluid build up?  I will definiately remember that about the morphine....as I don't want to make myself crazy thirsty...and i have a pretty HIGH tolerance for pain. :)
  I am trying to get my bag together on what to take with me to the hospital...as I will be out in San Diego for a week for this surgery, coming from Las Vegas.
  How long were you in the hospital total for your revision?
Thanks again,
Caryn
Kris B.
on 8/27/11 11:54 pm - Visalia, CA
Caryn,

My surgery was last Wednesday Aug 24 and he let me out Fri morn Aug 26.  Though I did walk walk walk and breathe in the little air breather constantly.  I was able to drink quite alot as I said in my post, thats what my Dr. wanted.  You also have to have a bowel movement (not fun).  I couldnt wait to get out.  I just do not like hospitals. 

First thing I did when I got home was weigh myself.....(big mistake) ~ I was 10 pounds more than I had been the day before, at the hospital.  I was so upset.  Then I figured it out....it was all water....by the end of the night I had already lost three pnds.  the next day three more.  It was strange.  

I am still drinking just liquids.  I can tolerate hot tea with a pinch of honey.  This helps me to curb my hunger.  I also do the protien drinks...They say I need 60 gms a day.  Ive been using isopure plus w protien.  Taste pretty good.  Cant wait to eat cottage cheese!!

Please let me know how you do....I should really post more often and I want to keep in touch with some WLS buddies and compare stories. 

Good Luck....Im always here for questions

Kris

Most Active