PLEASE HELP ANYONE who hadDr Sapalas Micropouch

ginany
on 9/7/11 9:00 am - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12
I lahd a RNY in 1/06 with Dr James Sapala.  Its called a  micropouch.  I am now looking for a revision due to a stretched pouch and stoma.  I had a consult today with Dr. Roslin at Lenox Hill.  He said there is a chance it cannot be done.  Has anyone had a micropouch and try for a revision?

Please anyone that can help.  I am really bummed but I am not giving up hope yet.  Have an upper GI on Monday.

Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

Zee Starrlite
on 9/7/11 2:04 pm
Wow, I had my Lap Band installed by Michael Schucknecht, D.O. of the CORI Center.  Dr (s) Sapala was part of that practice and I remember them offering the Sapala/Wood micropouch.

So lucky Dr. Roslin saved my life that same year 2005 when that practice abandoned their patients because of contract disputes.

I obviously trust Dr. Roslin COMPLETELY - I love that man!  But out of my own curiosity, I would do some research on the Wood/Sapala pouch.  Both of these docs are still in practice.  Dr. Wood in Michigan?  And at least one of the Sapalas in NY - Long Island and Queen I believe.

There was one lady and for the life of me I d on't remember her name.  She had a conversion from the Wood/Sapala pouch to the DS with Dr. Ungson.  She didn't do well - lots of issues with malnutrition.  After a couple of years she did end up passing BUT she seemed not to be able to eat.

So I would check with Dr. Ungson too - hope that is the right spelling.

Roslin is amazing, but I am not a fan of that Sapala group.

Not meaning to scare you.  It is very important to be well informed.

All the very best to you.  If I remember anything else, I will let you know.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

ginany
on 9/8/11 12:35 am - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12
Im so happy you responded.  Years ago I wanted this so bad, I didnt do enough research.   My husbands cousin went with Sapala so I said well I will do the same.  I Know he went Lutheran than out to Brookdale.  I always wondered why he was moving around so much.  Dr Roslin has me going for an Upper GI to see what I look like in there, LOL.  Maybe I should go back to Sapala for a revision.  I really dont know what to do
Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

Frankie
on 9/8/11 1:54 am - NY
Gina,

So sorry to see you going through this.  Dr. Roslin gives it to you straight with no chaser.  Patient safety is his concern.  Get the Upper GI done and if possible get a CT scan with and without contrast of your abdomen that way he can get a clear picture of work he will be working with.

Cross post this on the DS board and hopefully one of the DS vets can chime in.

Good luck to you on your journey.  I hope you can be revised to DS.

Frankie

teachmid
on 9/8/11 3:48 am - OKC, OK
You might want to consult with Dr. Keshishian and/or Dr. Rabkin as they are the top revision surgeons in the country and tend to get the more difficult cases.

Good luck.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

teachmid
on 9/8/11 4:34 am - OKC, OK
Just a thought..I don't know how it compares, but Yehuda on the DS facebook site had a Fobi pouch to DS revision a few months ago with Dr, Keshishian. You might try and hunt Yehuda down.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Keema1109
on 9/8/11 11:05 am
 I remember the micro pouch with that doctor, I went to the Cori Center back in 2004 but chose to do a LapBand, performed by doctors Gabriel & Deschapel. I hope that you can find a great outcome for this surgery revision.
ginany
on 9/8/11 11:45 am - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12
Thank you everyone who is trying to help.  I cross posted on the DS board . i am really trying hard not to give up hope.    Right now I feel that I will never know what it is like to be thin, that I will always be fat .I really got down to business today with my eating. All hight protein and low carb. Im looking into buying some workout DVD's as well. I want this so bad but I am preparing myself incase it does not happen.
Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

Carly J
on 10/9/11 12:03 pm - southeastern, MI
I dont get on oh much any more... had the micro pouch with Dr Wood in 2003... lost125 and have gained back 70. Went to him (he is still here in MI) several years ago and he won't do a revision. Then just a few months ago, I went to DrTaylor who use to work for Wood and was trained in the MP. He did all the tests and WOULD NOT do the revision due to the small size of my stoma. No room to put a band over bypass.

I am not sure what I am going to do next, but I would really love a revision...

Pre surgery 300 lbs, lowest after 175 lbs, re-gain highest 249 lbs, current 211 lbs, goal 170 lbs!      

ginany
on 10/9/11 12:20 pm - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12

In my case My pouch and stoma are large enough, It is my intestines that may be the problem.
I wish you luck but like all the advice everyone here has given me, get a second opinion. What kind of tests did he run?

Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

Most Active
Recent Topics