Food Issues with revision surgery

vwelsh
on 1/7/12 11:40 pm - Hudson, KY

Ever since I had the VBG 17 years ago, I have not been able to reheat and eat leftover protein.  I have to have freshly prepared meat, poultry, or fish.  Was wondering if it will be the same with the RNY???  Will I actually be able to fix dinner then have some leftovers for lunch the next day?  It would make meal planning SOOOO much easier if I could!!!  Has anyone noticed changes in food intolerances from one type of surgery to another???  Thanks!

Hislady
on 1/8/12 9:48 am - Vancouver, WA
I think that is a problem with all the surgeries. Anytime protein has a chance to dry out it is going to be hard to get down. The best thing to do is have something with it to "lube" it up like a sauce or gravy. You can buy lots of sugar free sauces or make your own with something like Splenda. You might want to ask on the RNY forum for better advice since I have a band I'm not sure if this is true for them but I suspect it is.
(deactivated member)
on 1/8/12 11:29 pm
I had the RNY in 2002 and just revised to a DS three weeks ago. Had the same exact problem! I was used to cooking in batches so that my food was always prepared, ready to go, for both my busy schedule and for making better choices. I learned to work around it by reconstituting it, adding some type of sauce, turning the protein from a hot entree to a salad, etc. Have no idea what to expect with the DS, right now I'm so early post-op everything tastes bad :-) You never know, your tastes/tolerances might indeed change with your RNY. But I agree, protein drying out, changing tastes is a hazard of any of the surgeries, and we learn to work around it. 
LosingSally
on 1/12/12 1:52 pm
I am 6 1/2 years out and have never has any problems with leftovers, I eat them often. Protein and veggies of any type work very well.
Most Active