Revision band to sleeve May 8th

coll26
on 4/14/12 12:14 pm
VSG on 01/30/15
Had my band put in 4 years ago, only lost about 30 lbs, despite vomiting frequently, it has been a horrible expirence, currently all fluid ot of the band and gained 15 ibs, and still vomit, I am so looking forward to the revision and hope to get this excess weight off permantly.....any words of advice would be helpful how others made out with revision....Thanks

jmckel1
on 4/14/12 12:43 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Hi (cross-posted from another thread because it essentially answers the question),

I was banded in 2006, lost about 40lbs initially, then gained it all back when I started having trouble with food getting stuck, so I resorted to "slider" foods, which, as you can imagine, I soon came to regret. I was also having terrible GERD, which turned out to be because I had esophageal dilation. 

The band was replaced in 2011, but the new band leaked so it could not be filled. I decided to go for the DS, since it has the malabsorption component, but the surgeon found lots of scarring once he was inside, and it took longer than he had anticipated to remove the band and scarring. Anyway, I ended up with the sleeve, which will be converted to the full DS in July. 

Honestly, I haven't lost any weight with the sleeve, though I do try to keep my carbohydrates to a minimum. I just seem to require very few calories to function. By the way, my BMI was about 37 at the time of my surgery (three months ago). In terms of restriction, the sleeve feels about the same as the band, only much more comfortable inasmuch as food doesn't get stuck and I don't have to resort to "slider" foods to fill up. 

Best of luck to you!

Julie
DS: 2011 (Dr. Michel Gagner) SW: 240
VSG: 2012 (Dr. Michel Gagner) SW: 256
Lap-band: 2006 (SW: 226) , 2011 (SW: 236) (Dr. Christopher Cobourn)

Hislady
on 4/15/12 10:42 am - Vancouver, WA
Trust me there are hundreds if not thousands right here who have revised from the band because it is just a lousy form of weight loss. I unfortunately can't get a revision because of my insurance but I did get emptied which so far has helped me. I know people who have revised to the sleeve and the RNY that are doing very well with both of them. Can't comment on the DS as I don't know anyone who has done that but it is an excellent surgery from what I read. Anytime you can get rid of a band it is a good thing!!! I know you will be much happier no matter which surgery you choose!!!!!
mochasoul
on 4/16/12 8:18 am
Hi and congrtulations..

I recently revised from band to sleeve and  would be happy to answer any questions.  So far all is well and i couldnt be happier or healthier...
D-Lovely
girliegirlgirl
on 4/20/12 4:20 am
 hi im just wondering what caused you to convert to sleeve from band?  how do they each compare to one another?  is weightloss progress faster or slower?
Sugan Spice
on 4/17/12 4:46 am - Gatineau, Canada
Revision on 02/21/12
Hi there!

I recently revised from my band to sleeve and I am so happy!  I have lost 38 pounds in just under 2 months. I had put all my weight back on after I had to have my band de-filled due to a slip.

No more left shoulder pain, no more vomiting, no more port pain....loving it!

girliegirlgirl
on 4/20/12 4:19 am
 i am glad to hear you are happy with the sleeve.  how was recovery compared to the band?  the same?  im guessing the sleeve just feels different that being banded right?  any foaming, throwing up or anything?  do you drink with meals?  i mean can you?  i know it was forbidden with the band?  im guessing ins paid for sleeve? did they do the sleeve at the time they took the band out?
Most Active
Recent Topics