band to sleeve????

girliegirlgirl
on 4/25/12 4:14 am
 hi, im wondering if anyone went from a band to a sleeve?  i went to see a dr today and he told me no way would he do a sleeve on me.  i had 2 previous band operations and 1 operation to remove my band because i had ended up woth a prolpase.  he said i would do wonderful with a bypass, but im just so upset and confused. a bypass is so extreme to me and it scares me the most.  i just wondered if anyone one else was told the same?
Nic M
on 4/25/12 12:32 pm
My situation was very similar to yours. I had multiple band surgeries, too. A very respected surgeon told me that he'd be uncomfortable doing the VSG on me beause of the this. He recommended the Duodenal Switch. I'm currently opting to wait because I just don't feel comfortable rushing into anything after the horrible experience I had with the band. (And it was 7 years ago that I had the stupid thing REMOVED! I'm still scarred from it!)

I think I'd be nervous about the RnY, personally and honestly. I see a lot of people years down the road having problems or regain.  I'd suggest taking your time in deciding to make sure you were making the right choice for yourself. I think we all get caught up in the mindset that we HAVE to do something RIGHT NOW, RIGHT AWAY... but it's better to wait and be SURE that you're comfortable with your choice than to rush. That's my take, anyway.

I feel for you. I think the band is the WORST. I'm sorry you went through it, too.

~Nicci

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

girliegirlgirl
on 4/25/12 12:41 pm
 So as of now what do u  have?  Nothing?  R u still in research mode?  Im a bit confused because im speaking to alot of people and im forgetting who has what, so i apologize!  Lol
Nic M
on 4/26/12 1:12 am
Yep, I gots nuttin'!  I don't know what mode I'm in... it changes all the time!   I think, for now, I'm in the, "I can't go through another surgery" mode, to tell the truth.

But, I think you should get a second and third opinion about the VSG. Some doctors are uncomfortable performing certain surgeries and will lead you to the surgery they are comfortable with. It doesn't mean they're bad doctors, of course. If you feel more comfortable with the sleeve, you should speak with another surgeon to see what he or she says.

Good luck!

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Hislady
on 4/25/12 2:44 pm - Vancouver, WA
I suggest you find a new surgeon, sounds like this one doesn't do the sleeve otherwise he'd do it for you. sounds like he may only do RNY and bands. Many are that way because those are the 2 main surgeries up until a few years ago. There are many, many happy band to sleeve folks, go hang out on the VSG (sleeve) forum. I would bet close 1/4 to 1/3 have started with the band and revised to the sleeve and the majority are very happy with their sleeves.
mallrat
on 4/26/12 11:51 am - St Peters, MO
My situation was very similar to yours and I was revised to the sleeve in Aug 2010, with no problems.  I had my first band for 2 years, had to have it removed because of a bad slip( 2nd time it had slipped).  I had anoother band placed 8 months later, because at the time my insurance was not paying for the sleeve, and I did not want RNY.  That band slipped after 10 months, so I ended up having the second band and a revision to the sleeve all in one surgery.  So, I ended up having 4 surgeries in all.  Couldnt be happier with the sleeve. 

It soumds to my like  your doctor isnt comfortable doing the slleeve.  If thats what you really wantt, I would look for another doctor who is very  experienced at revisions and willing to do the sleeve.  The only thing is , some doctors ar e not willing to remove the band and do the sleeve in one surgery.  I was told it was possible mine not be able to be done all at once, but luckily, they were able to , because I did not want to have a fifthsurgery.
Turtle Lynn
on 4/27/12 3:31 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Maybe he doesn't want to do the sleeve as he is concerned about scarring from the previous band placements and removals?  That would be a valid concern.  I would certainly do more research before committing to anything.

I'm having my band revised to Bypass at the end of May.  My main issue is horrendous reflux and of course weight gain from having my band unfilled for the last 3 years. 

He said I could have the sleeve, the Bypass or the DS, but that I still had a 50% chance of continuing with the reflux if I got the sleeve.  I didn't know the Bypass was considered the "gold standard" for an obese patient with acid reflux.  The Bypass will cure my reflux instantly. . .you wouldn't believe what I would go through to get rid of this reflux!!!!!  Also, I have stomach damage from my diabetes, so a smaller pouch the size of an egg is better in my case than a sleeve that's about the size of banana.  Everyone is different though, which is why it is great there are different options. 

Looking to the future, at least this way, with the RNY, if I need to I can always revise to the DS at some point.  Not that I'm planning on it, but it's nice to know I still have that option available.

Best of luck to you!

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

He who can't be Named
on 4/27/12 3:57 am
He doesn't do the sleeve (or DS).

If the restriction of the band was enough for you, it just failed other ways, then the sleeve seems like a no brainer. It has none of the stuff like dumping, RH, inability to take NSAIDs going on that RNY can.

It makes me mad when surgeons push us toward their limited choices, because that's what they know how to do, or is easier for the few hours surgery time for them, but harder or ineffective for us to live with. They never send away a paying customer.

I went to several surgeons that told me they do the sleeve and DS, only to get there and find out they don't really (yah, it says they've done 5 or something, which I'm sure is ones they've just assisted on) and insist on the band or RNY. 

I'm settled on sleeve or DS, and am saving for it. If you've done your research, you know what you can live with, and what the scientific studies say, so don't accept a second rate surgery just because he's limited and wants to take your money anyway.

Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
Balynn34
on 4/30/12 10:59 am
VSG on 04/04/12
I am a band to sleeve revision.  My doctor couldn't do the RNY because the damage the band erosion did--even a year after letting it heal--and I was okay with that.  He had my permission to go with the sleeve when he got in there to see the damage.  He did an endoscopy while he was performing the surgery so he could get a good view from both directions. 

Barbara    

girliegirlgirl
on 4/30/12 12:42 pm
On April 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM Pacific Time, Balynn34 wrote:
I am a band to sleeve revision.  My doctor couldn't do the RNY because the damage the band erosion did--even a year after letting it heal--and I was okay with that.  He had my permission to go with the sleeve when he got in there to see the damage.  He did an endoscopy while he was performing the surgery so he could get a good view from both directions. 
 How are you feeling since surgery?  Any complications?
Most Active