I'm learning that the lap band really sucks.....

KeishaCoCoBolton
on 5/14/12 9:16 am - chicago, IL
 at first i was going for the lap band but, now...i don't thk so!   IS THE  REALIZE BAND BETTER....
Hislady
on 5/14/12 12:21 pm - Vancouver, WA
A band is a band, is a band they both work the same way, they choke your stomach, sometimes to death! I'm not trying to be overly dramatic but I wouldn't ever consider a band if I wasn't stuck with one. Mine is empty because it never did work unless you consider 20 lb loss working and the problems just continued so I had it emptied. If I could afford it I would have it taken out in a heart beat!
Turtle Lynn
on 5/15/12 3:34 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Based on my personal Band experience, I would suggest you look more at a gastric sleeve surgery if it is purely restriction you're after.  That is the surgery that is really replacing the Band now.  A lot of surgeon's are discourgaing patient's from wanting the Band due to the high failure rates and Band-caused complications such as acid reflux not to mention slips and prolapses. 

It is certainly your choice which WLS you have, I would just encourage you to really explore all of the WLS types before you commit to a LapBand if you have not done that already.  If you feel that you have and that the Band is for you, than I wish you the best of luck!

I'm revising from my Band (placed in 2006) at the end of the month to a RNY, and since I'm one of the 5% of banded patients who develop acid reflux from it, I am more than happy to see it go!  :)

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

Nic M
on 5/17/12 12:47 pm
The Realize band is just a lapband with a different name and manufacturer. Same set of complications, same failures... the bands are all terrible choices.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

MsBatt
on 5/17/12 1:09 pm
You have a BMI of 55. Odds are VERY good that your problem isn't going to be solved by portion control alone---you've probably got some metabolic issues that need to be addressed.

You should seriously research the DS. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but this is even more true for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. The DS is also the very best at resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.

The DS preserves the pylorus, and all normal stomach function. (No dumping, etc.) The DS is also the only procedure that gives permanent malabsorption of CALORIES---which is why it has such staying power. And the DS will allow you to take NSAIDs, unlike the RNY/gastric bypass.

Think twice, cut once.
(deactivated member)
on 5/19/12 4:52 pm, edited 5/19/12 4:53 pm - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12
You know I have to agree with msbatt, that the DS has the best long term results and works REALLY  well for high BMI patients especially. I think the vertical sleeve was good for me because I just needed restriction because I was a huge volume eater of mostly healthy foods. Yep, even healthy food can make you fat. Kind of like there are fat vegetarians out there because a lot of them can eat chips and cookies you know? :-)

Anyway, the sleeve can be good for BMI over 50 but some of them don't lose all the way to goal.   Ive noticed the DS seems to be the best surgery at getting patients with higher BMI's to goal than any other out there. The only downside is you have to take a lot of pills and you cannot miss labs and doctor's visits. It is vital. My friend got very sick because she stopped taking her vites and stopped going to the doctor because she lost her insurance and couldn't afford it. It took a doctor being charitable to get her well again. It is NO JOKE to stay on top of labs and doc visits with the DS especially. The DS has the highest success rate, but also requires the most diligence on vitamins and doctor appointments. Some DS'ers, including you I'm sure Msbatt, would think the trade off is worth it! :-) 

It's such an individual choice. I personally think the lap band is like a trendy purse. It is great to have for a while but then when it starts getting torn up, it becomes a liability you want to get rid of. So many band patients have posted that their bands have eroded or slipped and caused health problems and so many have not lost enough weight. It's such a high risk gamble. Sure, there are a few success stories out there. But how many of them still have good restriction and are happy with their bands 7,8, 10 years later? Not very many...

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/12 2:24 am - Bay City, MI
The band will just make you puke all the time. I did for almost 8 years.
Most Active