No weight loss since off clear liquids

dhsimaitis
on 5/22/12 6:18 am
Revision on 04/23/12
Hi,

I had an RNY revision from proximal to distal 4 weeks ago, and ever since losing 20lbs on the clear liquid diet I have lost nothing. Not an ounce.

I am eating exactly what I am supposed to, drink tons of water, walk 2-5 miles a day...  and, nothing.  My doc says my composition is changing... and that may be so.  But, I doubt it is changing so evenly that I don't budge on the scale.  Something's got to give!!!

He also said to keep doing what I am doing and that I will be at my ideal weight in no time.  That was last week, and as of today- still nothing.

Anyway, just writing out of frustration...  I am not going to give up, but a few pounds would make a huge difference in my outlook right about now!!!

Thanks for listening...
Davina

God bless all of our efforts...

sosoclark
on 5/22/12 6:47 am - Sacramento, CA
Davina,

I know how you feel but you have lost 20 pounds in four weeks so try to look on the bright side of this. You will lose more but it will take a lot of work. I still haven't reached my goal but I also was following my doctors plan to the letter. I am now and have started losing weigh again. I had a revision to DS but surgery is surgery and it is just a tool. My sister had the RNY 7 years ago and out of the blue droped another 40 pounds and is still losing... but she is exercising and eating the way her doctor told her to. Anyway try to keep your head up.

Sophia

dhsimaitis
on 5/22/12 7:45 am
Revision on 04/23/12
Thank you, Sophia, for your kind words of encouragement!  I hope you keep moving toward your goal in leaps and bounds!!!

Davina

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/23/12 8:40 am, edited 5/23/12 8:40 am
I am sorry that you struggle.
I know how hard it can be.  
But the stall is considered when  a person does not lose any weight for 3-6 weeks.
You may be eating something that is messing with you - or even not eating enough and the body is hoarding all what it gets.
When I had the RNY - I would lose one week 2 lbs or more and the next week or 2 - not as much or nothing. Like my body was losing in "jumps"... nothing nothing - jump.
Also - look for hidden sugars and other little foods here and there..
I think you saw my post about the quest bars - I thought I was eating 170- cal, low carb, high protein bars , when in fact the way my body digested the bars - i probably was eating 350 cal and 25 gr of carbs - sugars.  No wonder I gained weight.  And my BS crushed,

I also think that having regular BM (daily or 2 x  day) is essential for me to lose weight.  If I get backed up - I gain or retain water beside other things).

Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

dhsimaitis
on 5/23/12 10:33 am
Revision on 04/23/12
Thank you, H B...

I didn't know a stall was that long...  I guess since I just got started I wasn't expecting to go in that direction quite so soon...  but, I will be patient.

As for carbs... literally the only carbs I get are in the milk I put in my protein powder (which is zero carb).  The rest of it at this point is egg whites and chicken.  Maybe I am not getting enough of something like you said... hmmmm.

I do have trouble in the BM department...  once every few days.  I knew that was messing me up, too.

Anyway, thanks for your understanding and encouraging information...  I truly appreciate it!

Davina

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/23/12 11:53 pm
I do get the BM.. I had issues with that even before RNY.. post op.. that takes some adjusting.  I had a few times that I really hurt when finally I had BM... and there were other way too gross details...

Many people do colace, miralax stool softener.. etc. 

I decided to use magnesium. Now that does not work for some people.

Calcium, iron and the proteins is what constipate us. And not enough fiber..
Now I try to get at least 20-25 gr of fiber a day (usually more that that).
I drink water (flavored, can't stand pure water)
I take calcium that also has magnesium in it (500 cal + 250 mag; 2:1 ratio)
I also take extra magnesium at night. Every evening I take mag oxide in capsule form (fast delivery) I take 800-1200 mg (2 x 400 or 3 x 400mg) of mag oxide per night.

Some magnesium will be absorbed in the body - and any extra should end up in the colon - that will pull water from the body and increase volume and easy of BM...

But as I found out - the magnesium I need to take every night.  Skipping a night may result in difficult BM the following day
Too much magnesium will cause running BM... not really good thing.
It is very personal..
My friend can take only 200 per night.. more than that and she is in trouble...

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

dhsimaitis
on 5/24/12 3:55 am
Revision on 04/23/12
My doc said he anticipated a lot of diarrhea...  but, I have been just the opposite.  I am definitely lacking fiber.  I am not supposed to eat beans yet, although they are my favorite!!!  His reason is because of gas.  He said it wouldn't hurt him, but it might make me uncomfortable.  I am allowed instant oatmeal.  Maybe I should have a small packet of that a day...

Do you know what long-term affects there are to using laxatives or magnesium daily?  I suppose it is just one of those things that once you really start, you can't really stop.  (absolutely no pun intended!)  He did tell me to use Milk of Magnesia to get things started...  but, I have had to use it each time I have one.

I am sooooo sorry for the nature of this conversation, and I sincerely appreciate your indulging me for a minute...  I am writing down what you told me and will be giving your ideas a try...

BTW, I am getting lots of protein, calcium, and iron...  so-  no wonder, huh?  I don't think I have gotten any appreciable fiber so far, so I am on a mission now...!!! 

Thanks a bunch! 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/24/12 4:25 am
Magnesium is not a stimulant.  That's why I use it. I don't get enough magnesium from my diet.
magnesium is one of the "miracle minerals" When taken too much - body do not absorb it and that will cause loose stools. 

Milk of Magnesium is bunch of chemicals with colors and flavors and stuff... I take just mag oxide..

Some people who gets really constipated tray to take mag citrate or other magnesium and complain that it is not working - the reason when it would not work - that their body get magnesium depleted and once they  take any - the body absorbs that - so nothing ends up in colon. 

BTW: mag does not cause cramping.   I take enough to go - easy go... fast - no pushing or straining.. just go... 2 min and I am in a and out of the bathroom... lol....

dhsimaitis
on 5/24/12 5:55 am
Revision on 04/23/12
Got it!  I am sure this will help a lot...  I am running out to find some right now... 

Most Active
Recent Topics