Very confused about some posts here

bandarella
on 7/25/12 11:05 am - Bayonne, NJ
Revision on 06/19/12
I see quite a few posts that state their doctors won't do a sleeve because of leaks but will do a RNY. Don't you have to form a sort of sleeve anyway to do a RNY? How is the leak risk higher for sleeves than RNY? One of the major complications of RNY has been leaks, from all the research I've done since 2005, especially in the reattached intestine area. Perhaps, it's a doctor by doctor claim.

Phyllis  

Using a touch screen on my IPad, excuse any typos. 

Hislady
on 7/25/12 11:57 am - Vancouver, WA
Can't say that I've heard that but it doesn't really make any sense to me because if you watch a sleeve surgery the tool used to cut off the excess stomach "seals" the stomach and then has 3 rows of staples on both sides of the cut. There is so much more just plain stitching done on the RNY that I would think their leak stats would be considerably higher just because of all the different areas that are cut and reattatched. Now that's just my opinion but I've watched both surgeries on youtube and that's what it looks like to me.
bandarella
on 7/25/12 1:31 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Revision on 06/19/12
That's what I was thinking also. If you read a lot of posts they all become contradictory after ahwile.

Phyllis  

Allen Y.
on 7/25/12 6:52 pm - Garland, TX
 Doctors are people too and they all have oppinions.
They also have reasons related to how the insurance company pays.

See what happens if you ask the same question to the doc and say you will pay cash in advance.

pineview01
on 7/26/12 12:05 pm, edited 7/30/12 10:08 am - Davison, MI
I think it is more a mater that some Doctors won't do a sleeve is because they haven't learned/done them and they already do the RNY.

When I went for my Band the surgeon I had didn't think the sleeve was a viable choice, they didn't do them.  He touted the RNY as the gold standard.  While I was going thru the process one of the other surgeons went and learned how to do the Sleeve.  He did the first once with the help of another in the group.

Two months after I got the band they did the first.  Now 3.5 years later not only are these two doing them, all four are including my surgeon that had turned up his nose.  Not only are they all doing them, My surgeon does the infomercial on their site for the sleeve,

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

justjudy
on 7/29/12 11:58 pm - Canton, MI
RNY doesn't form a sleeve but rather a pouch.  Incisions, staples or sutures internally are very different.

Judy

bandarella
on 7/30/12 4:52 am - Bayonne, NJ
Revision on 06/19/12
I understand that but, the bypass has areas in the intestines that have a rate of leaks as well. I've know several people who have had leak problems with the bypass with other complications vs. sleeve pt's who have none.

Phyllis  

pineview01
on 7/30/12 10:12 am - Davison, MI
You just need to find a surgeon that does the sleeve.  They will tell you that there
are more leaks with a RNY than Sleeve.  Our center does both and the rate of leaks
with RNT over Sleeve was either 5 or 10X.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

bandarella
on 7/30/12 11:31 am - Bayonne, NJ
Revision on 06/19/12
My surgeon does both. Now that I have the band out, my sleeve is scheduled for 9/25.

Phyllis  

pineview01
on 7/31/12 2:32 am - Davison, MI
Woo Hoo! Great news on the scheduled date for your sleeve.

I hope to be there with you one day.

Most Active