finally facing my fear,,,,

JennDee
on 1/3/13 6:29 am

i have avoided this topic for months. i had vsg on may 11, 2011. have lost approx 85 pounds since. havent lost any since about 8 months out. i have recently gained about 5 back despite exercise and MOSTLY controlled eating. here's the thing....im hungry all the time. i eat and feel full on small amount of protein and then 20 minutes later feel like i never even ate. when i slip and eat poorly i can graze and snack endlessssssly throughout the day. i'm hating myself and thinking i stretched my sleeve. today i finally called to schedule an appt with surgeon to see wth i'm doing wrong and why oh why i'm failing. (i haven't seen him in months and months mostly because i'm embarrassed and feeling like a failure.)

now, with the new year i'm speaking up and seeking help. what do you all think may be going on and what are some of my options??

oh i'm 5'6" about 200 pounds (give or take 3 :( ). pre surgery was 285 and sleeved on 5/11/11.

thank you so much ;)

Jennie D.  

"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly".

"If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got."

MsBatt
on 1/3/13 8:17 am

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. But I am a 9-year post-op, and I've read and researched WLS almost daily for almost ten years now.

Have your read this thread? http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4416773/quotDoes-the- Patient-Fail-the-Procedure-or-Does-the/

Different folks need different things from WLS. I think the VSG is a wonderful surgery, but some of us need more. Restriction alone doesn't do it for everyone, especially if we have a super-absorptive metabolism. Sounds like maybe you do, if you've only lost 85 pounds in more than a year and a half with the Sleeve.

Talk to Dr. A about adding the intestinal Switch, for a full DS. That may be just the solution you need.

Hislady
on 1/4/13 9:11 am - Vancouver, WA

Ms. Batt know whereof she speaks she's a pro here! I would also suggest it may be a form of silent GERD. Quite often when hunger comes back shortly after a meal it can be acid. You may only need a different or more often PPI or acid reducer. If you are truly eating well most of the time I doubt you have stretched your sleeve altho it can stretch some over time but never back to where it was originally. So it sounds like all you need is to tweek things to get back to optimal use of your tool. Good luck it's good to see your surgeon and I know he has seen others that have not lost as well as they wanted so don't feel guilty, you aren't alone in this!

pineview01
on 1/4/13 9:43 am - Davison, MI

What HL said!  If you read thru the sleeve board you will see your situations posted over and over again.  The most common and easiest fix is getting the right PPI in the right amount.  So many have been have turned around after this advise.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active