RNY revision what to expect....

cniccolemoore
on 1/30/13 11:21 am

Hello! I'm 10 years out from my original surgery - had lap RNY.  I lost 98 pounds, was able to keep it off for about 5 years then slowly began to gain it back, I'm back to 289. :(  My Dr is going to do an open revision of my RNY, just make my pouch smaller and possibly extend the bypassed section of my intestines. 

How much pain can I realistically expect with this procedure being open? The thought of having drains makes me a little nervous.  How much weight could I realistically expect to lose? 

This go 'round I'm in a much more stable place in my life.  I am surrounded by folks that love me and support me.  I am having the appropriate nutritional counseling (none the first time), psychological evaluation (none the first time), and a really great support group (none the first time either!).  I truly feel that I'm ready.  Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks to all!! : )

StacysMom
on 1/30/13 12:14 pm

This revision is going to be a longer recovery and more pain than your first surgery.  If you are going to go through the  trouble of an open revision, you should really look into getting the DS - go onto their board and look into it.  There are only a handful of doctors in the US that are capable of doing a RNY to DS revision and it is doubtful your doctor is one of them.  That's why he is suggesting making your original RNY more "distal" (extending the bypass).  

I haven't been on these boards for years, but have come back to research a revision procedure for a friend.  The revision you are looking at used to be called an eRNY (meaning "extended RNY").  I haven't heard of anyone having success with it, and depending on how distal the new bypass was made, several people had "failure to thrive".  

If the bypass was made distal enough for the necessary weight to be lost, the people suffered severe vitamin deficiencies.  Those that didn't have the bypass made distal enough, barely lost any weight at all after the initial poundage from the pre and post surgery recovery period.  Do you really want to go through an open surgery just to lose 20-30 lbs?

Please do yourself a favor and ask your questions on the DS board.  It appears that you are choosing the wrong surgery for yourself a SECOND time! 

Delia Montalvo
on 1/31/13 12:23 am - San Antonio, TX
I was told that the pain would be worst than the first procedure. Having had all three Band, sleeve,& bypass...they were all the same...don't expect the worst...you should do well.
StacysMom
on 1/31/13 3:22 am

OMG!  You've had all three procedures?  Did you have a sleeve then a bypass after that?  Were any of them done "open"?  Seems like they may have all been done LAP and the OP patient above is asking if her open revision will hurt more than her previous LAP procedure.

Delia Montalvo
on 1/31/13 4:24 am - San Antonio, TX
Yes, Lapland in 2006, sleeve in 2011, and bypass in 2012...all laparoscopic...now I will be donating a kidney to my boyfriend of 5 years...on Feb 13...laparoscopic but with an opening in my lower abdomen to remove kidney...I just give it to God...he will us through.
AngelicMythology
on 1/31/13 2:33 pm - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13
I just had my revision on Jan. 21st where my surgeon bypassed more intestines. He did mention afterwards I had a lot of intestines and that during my initial rny not much was bypassed in comparison to the overall length. So far I've lost 20 lbs (6 of those lbs were lost during a 10 day liquid diet prior to surgery).

I've had both open. This time around I was able to move around sooner and was able to walk around the hospital hallways with my lil go-go pole. I was in for 2 days. I get tired quickly though. I can't really add a lot since I'm so new but I thought I'd share what I experienced so far.

Feel free to contact me if you want to ask questions. I apologize ahead for spelling errors. This darn tablet, the auto correct spelling suggestions and my chubby fingers are a bad mix.

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

Tonya M.
on 2/1/13 2:12 am - Fort Dodge, IA

Hi there!  I was just going to ask a couple questions if I may?  I was wondering, did you have any scarring tissue when the doctor did your revision?  If so, how much?

AngelicMythology
on 2/1/13 2:45 am - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13
Hi! Sure, ask away. Well my original incision is almost 3 inches long. Now right below is about 1/2 inch space and the new scar starts. It looks like it's going to be around 2 inches long. It ends right before my belly button. It's covered with the steri-strips at this time. My surgeon made no mention about scar tissue whatsoever. My follow up is on the 7th and i'll have more info then hopefully.

donna39
on 2/3/13 10:34 am - FL

I'am having revision surgery Feb 5 I'am having my pouch trimmed back up and banded. I was wondering is that what your doctor did to you?

AngelicMythology
on 2/4/13 3:47 pm - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13
My pouch wasn't touched. He bypassed more of my intestines.

Most Active
Recent Topics