Revision with BMi of 29?

huntgirl1991
on 2/22/13 4:19 am
I'm seeking a revision surgery from lap band to RNY I was thinking of just paying out of pocket and going to Mexico but now I'm considering trying to do the insurance battle. I think they will pay to remove it but not a revision to another surgery because my BMi is 29 and I don't have comorbitys. What I do have is a band that causes me to throw up daily, have severe acid reflux and have only lost half of the weight I need to in order to get to my ideal weight. I have back and knee pain and still have 50 pounds to lose and with this band it is not possible. I also have the battle of finding someone who will operate on someone who had their first surgery in Mexico. My family is pressuring me to try to have it done here but I don't want to waste my time and money just to get a rejection notice. I'm so confused. It will cost me the same thing to have it done in Mexico as it would cost me out of pocket here. I jjust think the odds are totally stacked against me with insurance paying for it so why bother? Any advice or input would be appreciated.

gee1963
on 2/22/13 4:42 am - Ankeny, IA
VSG on 02/27/13
If your BMI goes back up to 35 Gerd is a comorbidity

*~Gina~*HW 338 (10/2009), banded 07/22/10 298, removed 11/29/12, sleeved 2/27/13. (CW)   214 dr scale 3/19/13   

gee1963
on 2/22/13 4:44 am - Ankeny, IA
VSG on 02/27/13
Depending on your insurance you would have to do all the requirements again though. I.e. 6 mo diet etc

*~Gina~*HW 338 (10/2009), banded 07/22/10 298, removed 11/29/12, sleeved 2/27/13. (CW)   214 dr scale 3/19/13   

mercedes66693
on 2/22/13 4:52 am

I've only had my band for 7 months I've been throwing up for months went to a new surgeon he had me have an upper GI found out the band had slipped it's on my esophagus now and I haven't lost any weight I just got approved by my insurance for revision to RYN. I'd try the insurance route first get a good Doctor.

I go for my revision on March 25th can't wait

best of luck

Hislady
on 2/22/13 6:05 am - Vancouver, WA

I'd try the insurance first and then go self pay if you have to. All the insurances are different some will do a revision when you are at a perfect BMI and others want you to regain and go thru all the hoops again. There is no set standard or rules for revisions. Then if you have to go to Mexico or selfpay here. If you are too miserable like it sounds I might just go ahead with selfpay just to get relief. If you haven't had your band emptied yet please get that done hopefully that will ease things and give you a little time to work it out.

beanybaby
on 2/22/13 7:05 am

You may be stuck paying out of pocket. I will say though, that you may want to consider the sleeve if you self pay for a revision, as it will give you the restriction that the band should have, without the problems.

huntgirl1991
on 2/22/13 9:34 am
His lady- I am so miserable I just want this over with. I had my band emptied totally 3 years ago.

Beanybacy- I spoke with two doctors about the sleeve and ds and both told me they would recommend RNY for me.

Hislady
on 2/22/13 3:29 pm - Vancouver, WA

I can certainly understand that hon! Quality of life is just as important as $$$$. In that case I'd say go for it! Altho if I were you I would also go with the sleeve. One of the drawbacks with the RNY is that after the initial 18-24 mos. honeymoon period the malabsorbtion tends to go away leaving you with a somewhat larger pouch and no malabsorbtion to help. Many people tend to regain around the 2-3 yr. mark because of this so you will have to take advatage of that time so you can lose all the weight and change your eating enough so that you can maintain your loss. Plus reactive hypoglycemia is becoming a big problem for alot of RNYers. Not trying to scare you off just want you to be aware of what you are getting into because docs don't always know or tell things like that. Anyway good luck hope you can get rid of this misery sooner rather than later!!

tina01
on 2/24/13 11:12 pm - Wilmington, DE

Hi, just line cutting...what is reactive hypoglycemia? 

Thanks

MsBatt
on 2/28/13 6:02 am
On February 25, 2013 at 7:12 AM Pacific Time, tina01 wrote:

Hi, just line cutting...what is reactive hypoglycemia? 

Thanks

It's a late complication of the RNY that some folks develop. It can be mild, or it can be something that takes over your life. You can Google it, but I suggest posting on the Main board asking about it. A couple of folks you definitely need to talk to at H.a.L.a. B, MM/Melting Mama, and Linda...something, sorry, I'm drawing a blank.

It's also sometimes called 'late dumping', but I'm not sure why. Basically what happens is that you eat carbs---and if you're really sensitive, it only takes a few grams---and your blood sugar spikes, then crashes. What happens then ranges from mild discomfort to coma.

Most Active