LAPBAND TO VGS REVISION? OR LAPBAND TO RNY REVISION?

mcmds
on 3/27/13 3:26 am

Hi!

I got the LapBand 3/2010 and have lost and regained all of my weight. I am currently back at my presurgical band weight and am getting revisional surgery to either the VSG or the RNY. I would like to get input from people in my position, pros and cons for either side, VGS or RNY and your feelings on the surgeries.

Thanks so much!

Michelle

thinlizzie12
on 3/27/13 6:43 am - KS
DS on 01/24/13

I was lapband to DS revision. I am so glad I did this. Best decision I ever made. I am a lightweight and now down 46 lbs and in onderland for the first time in over 15 years. I did do my research on all the different WLS....DS made so much sense to me....that's why I picked it. Pick the one right for you. The re routing part made more sense anatomically for me. I knew what it was like to have the band and not eat much. I wanted the best solution for weight loss and keeping it off for life. Good luck to you!

mcmds
on 3/27/13 7:02 am

Thanks for responding! I looked in to the DS a lot (hence my original screen name), but eventually found it to be my END ALL of options. If all other surgeries fail, then this is what I would have to get. I feel that I am too young to know what would happen down the road if I were to get the DS, what if I were to get cancer, how would I be able to keep up with the nutrition and supplementation, etc.? I finally decided that if all else fails, the DS would be my final answer. I am hoping it never comes to that because I have read so many horror stories of people ending up with obstructed bowels and on feeding tubes, etc. and I am terrified of how I would live if another disease were thrown in to the mix. I appreciate you responding and am very happy for your weight loss. You picked the right surgery for you and I am glad you did so! Keep up the good work!

Thank you!

Michelle

thinlizzie12
on 3/28/13 2:46 am - KS
DS on 01/24/13

How old are you? I don't consider myself old,lol.What if you were to get cancer? Many patients without WLS have a hard time keeping up with supplementation and nutrition . RNYers  end up on feeding tubes and obstructed bowels as well.....I take care of lots of these patients.....most are RNY'ers but most have never had WLS before. 

Hislady
on 3/27/13 7:03 am - Vancouver, WA

I haven't revised but plan to, my choice is the sleeve because you keep your pyloric valve. Also the RNY tends to "reverse" itself The RNY tends to "reverse" itself after 12-24 mos. and starts absorbing calories again. The sleeve stays pretty much the same, it may enlarge a little bit but for the most part stays the same size. You may lose a bit slower with the sleeve but not a lot slower, many lose over 100 lbs in a year. I'm just not crazy about rerouting my insides with the RNY.

mcmds
on 3/27/13 7:17 am

Thank you for your response! This is how I feel as well, the RNY does do rerouting of the insides that the sleeve does not. However, it offers malabsorption that the sleeve does not. I think malabsorption of calories is something that I need in order to lose weight, but I am unable to bring myself to have that surgery at this time. I think if I have the sleeve revision and it does not work,  I will have to revise to the RNY to try a malabsorptive procedure. My surgeon did say that while removing the portion of the stomach that produces the hunger hormone, it also removes other hormone producing areas of the stomach that can affect the metabolism and that is why so many super sized morbidly obese patients (which I am at 386lbs) are seeing such great results with a revision from the band to the sleeve, even though it may "seem" as if it is the same sort of procedure (aka. restrictive only). I am concerned that I will be able to eat around the sleeve and that I will not lose weight, but I understand that I can pretty much eat around any surgery if I truly want to, and I need to come to terms with the reason WHY I am eating around the surgery in order for it to work. Thank you for taking the time to respond with your input!

Thank you!

Michelle

d G.
on 3/27/13 11:02 am - Griffin, GA

Hi,

I am in the same boat. I have a scheduled appointment with Dr. Duncan tomorrow in regards to discussing the revision from lapband to DS. I am researching the DS procedure because, i don't want to travel down this road again. My health is not that great with heart and kidney disease and adding weigh to my small frame only increases heavy breathing, arthiritis and an inability to walk far distances.     

tia47
on 3/27/13 12:55 pm - cleve, OH
Hi there, I'll b a band to sleeve revision 4/10...yaaaay!!! I'm too excited to get back on the wl wagon!!! Oh a lot of fear too!
I've had my band 10 yrs and last year was when probs of aspiration started. All fill removed almost 3 mos ago. Yucko to the wt gain. I've kept off majority of band loss...170lbs. I'm at 343 now...30 lb gain.

Best of luck in your decision.

T
mcmds
on 3/28/13 2:16 am

That is amazing weight loss with the band! I saw no weight loss with the band at all. I started at 389lbs and I got down to 322lbs but that was from working out hard core cardio 65 minutes every single day from March to August of this year, that's it. I've bounced between 360 and 330 all other times, nothing stellar or even noticeable. I hate HATE HATE my band and can not wait to get it out. I can not express to you the level of embarrassment I have when people see me who know that I have had WLS and they see that I am again at my presurgical weight. I've had the band for 3 years and I am now back up to 386lbs and it is time something is done. The sleeve is recommended for me, though I am still researching between the RNY and the VGS.

Thank you!

Michelle

Stephanie M.
on 3/28/13 1:52 am

Sleeve is part of the DS process, so be sure to discuss your options for revision to DS with your surgeon.  RNY tends to have a higher incidence of regain as the body adapts and absorbs calories about 24-36 months out.  

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Most Active
Recent Topics