ALL FLUID TAKEN OUT IN PREPERATION FOR REVISION - NOW ACID REFLUX??

mcmds
on 4/7/13 10:37 pm

Hi! I had all of my fluid taken out of my band (approximately 6cc) and I am now (for the first time ever) experiencing moderate to severe acid reflux on more than one night per week. This is something that has not happened to me EVER while I had fluid in my band, or pre-band.

For your information, I also had an Upper GI study (swallow the barium) not too long ago (before I decided to take the band out) because I was not losing any weight (after three years - uh duh), and they found that my band was "fine" but that my esophagus was "slightly dilated" and I am wondering if this could be related to my new condition.

Have any of you experienced this?

Please advise, because it is extremely uncomfortable! I hope to get revised to the sleeve but am now extremely nervous that I will have a lifetime of heartburn ahead of me.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Michelle

Thank you!

Michelle

tia47
on 4/8/13 2:31 am - cleve, OH
Hi there,
Call your band Dr and see what he recommends. I would say prob something like prilosec or something hell tell u. Watch the caffeine, choco etc...
Im sorry this happened. My band is coming out Wed after 10 yrs and going to sleeve.
I cried when my Dr took my fluid out.
I had major esophageal dilation...

Tia
pineview01
on 4/8/13 7:51 am - Davison, MI

It might also be, besides the esophageal dilation, that now the band is out you are eating more/different/later in the day.  Also even though I had all the fluid removed, the area was permanently deformed, restricted and acted like the band was still in and tight.

I did find I was eating faster and some stuff I shouldn't have at all 

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

julia M.
on 4/14/13 9:15 pm - Canton, OH
RNY on 12/31/13

Since I got my band out 2 months ago prepping for RnY I am having more reflux and heartburn and IBS. Can not eat chocolate or coffee without a stomach ache. On prilosec. I had restriction after getting it removed but now I am able to eat more so I believe that I have went back to normal. Well I hope this helps, you are not alone.

Winning the race, slow but steady! 

mcmds
on 4/15/13 12:42 am

I was just about to write about the IBS, I have never in my life had such horrific symptoms as I am having now with the band being completely empty - even preband, and I could really put a massive amount of food away then, I am experiencing symptoms I would think would have shown themselves long before I even got the band. But they are all appearing now that I have gotten the fluid taken out of the band. Terrible digestive symptoms that I am too embarrassed to even mention. I go for my endoscopy on the 23rd and I hope that there is nothing seriously wrong, but with each passing day, I fear more and more that there is. I just want this surgery to go through without any complications!!

Thank you!

Michelle

pineview01
on 4/15/13 3:24 pm - Davison, MI

When my band came out I too had restriction.  It went away for the most part at 2-3 months and i two could eat way to much and all the stuff I couldn't eat with the band.  My IBS was bad too.  Since I have been sleeved no IBS.  It is so great.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

ktheis
on 4/15/13 7:36 pm - Turlock, CA

I have a question for all of you who have had a revision and gotten the sleeve. Do you lose more weight? do you lose enough? can you get to your goal weight? a woman I know had it and she did not lose all of her weight, far from it. I dont want it if I cant lose all of the weight. I have a hiatal hernia, which is giving me SEVERE acid, and I mean bad. so that is reason enough to revise and I am so happy because I have gained about 35lbs. Sometimes I think I am eating to soothe my stomach because the acid hurts so bad. But then I know, the things I eat are not meant to be eaten after the gastric bypass and it is my fault, at least partly. Im just grateful I get fixed. After that, no more bad habits for me...Im throwing in the towel!

BTW, if you ladies are looking for a good exercise program, try Yoga. It is way too awesome...I went from being a couch potato to wanting to go everyday....it is like going to get a massage everyday if you go to the right class. I have to push myself to go to the tougher ones, but I go to the 'restorative' and 'therapeutic' ones and they make you feel SO GOOD!

Best wishes to you all,

Kim

Most Active
Recent Topics