revision from band to bypass

busyrn
on 4/9/13 9:37 am

I am new to the site and finally figured out how to post on the revision site:)  I love all the wonderful info and inspirational stories!! I had my lap band in 11/06 lost 80lbs in about a year then in 08 had to have it  deflated for good due to severe reflux etc...  eventually regained most of my loss:(  Well here I am and my revision is scheduled for april 29th, YAY, I am looking forward to the next chapter in my life to begin can't wait (I put this revision off long enough) I am nervous for my surgery hopefully there is not too much scar tissue and adhesions...Has any one out there had there lap band as long as me then had a revision rny??? If so how did you make out- did you have a lot of damage from the band etc...Thanks for any input

Sherrie P.
on 4/9/13 10:40 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I am band to bypass on 2/6/13.  I was banded 10/5/2005!!

So yes, I dealt with the Crapband longer ;-)

Everything went smoothly. I was able to have the removal and revision at one time without complication.  I had a drain and a lot of pain at the port removal site... but it was worth it.

Best of luck to you!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

busyrn
on 4/9/13 9:29 pm

Thank you so much for the input...I knew there had to be more then just me:) I am so happy that you did well thru surgery and are happy with your decision!! I really can't wait it makes me feel less nervous esp because you had it a year longer and did so well. Great job on the weight loss:)

julia M.
on 4/14/13 9:09 pm - Canton, OH
RNY on 12/31/13

I had my band removed on Feb 14 of this year and had had it since 5/2006. I am scheduled for the RnY on May 28th. My doctor says that it it much better to give the stomach time time to heal and that he has seen better results for the patient.  I have a lot of reflux, had a lot of esophagus problems with eating nothing or everything - no restriction really just being STUCK all of the time. Good luck to you!

Winning the race, slow but steady! 

anndac824
on 4/15/13 11:10 am - CA
RNY on 04/10/13

Hi.  I had lapband in June 07.  Although i originally lost some weight, it wasn't anywhere what i wanted to lose. I also developed very bad reflux and everything I ate was always stuck and I threw up daily.  Anyway, I just had RNY on 4/10/13.  I had a lot of scar tissue.  The doctor said I had scar tissue where the tubing of the band was rubbing on my intestines.  They thought at first sight I wouldn't be able to have the revision.  After he removed the scar tissue he did the RNY.  I'm doing pretty well so far and I feel so much better without the constant vomiting of whatever i put in my mouth.  I am still on liquids but I can already tell the difference. I can't believe i waited so long for the revision.

debbie

busyrn
on 4/15/13 9:55 pm

I am so glad you made it thru surgery and that your surgeon was able to do the surgery despite the band damage. Its crazy what we all have put up with regarding the band...I don't even know why they continue to do lap bands and for those that have them and are happy with them I feel like its only a matter of time before a complication happens.  God Bless speedy recovery!!! Thank you for sharing. Please keep me posted on your progress:)

anndac824
on 5/18/13 7:09 am - CA
RNY on 04/10/13

Thank you so much.  I am six weeks out and doing pretty well.  Each day is different.  I feel so many different things; some good and some not so good.  I am happy with my progress so far and I'm happy to be rid of the band.  I agree with you re the band.  I can't believe doctors are still doing them.  When he saw all my adhesions, he even said it makes him wonder how many others there are or will be.  I need to read your profile to see where you are.  I haven't been on here too much lately as I am back to work and when I get home, I am truly exhausted and going to bed early.  Thank you for writing me. I'll continue to post my progress.

debbie

nwashin75
on 4/16/13 2:02 am

Hi, I'm looking for a doctor to do a revision from my lapband to the roux en y gastric bypass.. Did you have to start the process all over again? Or did you get an appointment right away to do the switch?

busyrn
on 4/17/13 1:29 am
I made an appt first with the original place I had my surgery then went for a second opinion on the situation and decided to go with my second opinion surgeon who was much more experienced with revisions etc. He thought I may have to wait but insurance bcbs approved me the following day. I believe due to the issues I have been having. That being said I paid out of pocket for my band so not sure if that made any difference in the quick approval. I didn't have to go thru any further things like psyc eval etc...best of luck with getting the process started for revision.
anndac824
on 5/18/13 7:05 am - CA
RNY on 04/10/13

Hi.  It's the same doctor who did the lap band.  I did have to requalify for this new procedure but it went very fast.  I started the process in January and had surgery April 10.

debbie

Most Active
Recent Topics