Revision from band to RnY in 8 days. Help I'm so scared.

julia M.
on 5/19/13 7:15 pm - Canton, OH
RNY on 12/31/13

I've been up all night. I had my band out in February to give my stomach time to heal before the RnY and my doc just told me at my preop appt how my risk of a leak is 1/3 and a double time surgery. The leak is the part that is freaking me out the most. I have a four year old and a ten year old and the 17 year old twins and 19 year old still need me. What if I DIE. I am getting cold feet now. BIG TIME. I can't find any good information on leaks with the revision surgery. Also I heard that weight loss is slower with the band to RnY, does anybody know if this is true? Anyone have a leak? What happened if you had a leak? My surgeon is good and at a center of excellence and has a lot of experience with this surgery.

Winning the race, slow but steady! 

Pattycake1947
on 5/20/13 2:47 am - Boyd, TX

I can totally understand for your concern. I haven't had my revision yet but hoping to in June. When I first had my VBG surgery, I heard all kinds of horror stories about leaks with the RNY. This time around I haven't heard anything about leaks. I think Doctors have had more experience with that problem and all the problems of weight loss surgery and they know more about the surgery and what to do better. I have not gone through the nervousness before the surgery but I'm sure I will be nervous when the time comes. I pray every day for God to help me through it and I have faith that he'll never leave me through the process. I have 3 great grandchildren who I want to live for and most of all my husband and be able to do things with them all that I haven't gotten to do lately because of my weight. I'm sure your surgeon will do a leak test before you go home to make sure it's safe for you to leave the hospital. I know I will stay an extra day so my surgeon can do the leak test and make sure it's safe.  I don't know if anything I've said has helped you at all. I guess I'm actually just saying trust God and he'll help you through anything and never leave you. If you'd like to, keep in touch and let us all know how you do with your surgery.

pineview01
on 5/20/13 3:15 am - Davison, MI

I revised from the band to sleeve.  I had my band out for 4.5 months before revision for the same reason.  The high risk leak rate is for revision in one surgery according to my surgeon.  His rate for band to sleeve is only .15%  and two where the very first sleeves they did so with each surgery there rate is droping.

I would ask him how many band to RNY surgeries he has done and what his leak rate is.  It is important to have an experienced revision surgeon.  I wasn't sure from your post what he is saying the leak rate is.  If you are saying he has a leak rate of 33% of his revisions, you need a different surgeon or a different surgery.

For me the weight loss wasn't slower at the start because I didn't really lose with the band until several fills/months out.  At four months our with the sleeve, I have lost all the regain from the band being out and and now 15 pounds less than I ever weighed with the band and 20 pounds less than the "expected loss" with the band.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics