Post Surgery Day 3 - Feeling Great

rj0274
on 6/28/13 7:14 pm - TX
Revision on 07/03/13

First night back in my own home after having revision surgery on Wednesday.  Considering all my body went through, I feel great.  I'm able to keep all fluids down and have good energy with no nausea or any other less desirable side-effects.  The staff at Forest Park Medical Center (Dallas, TX) was wonderful.  Looking forward to doing it "right" this time.  I know where I went wrong after my 2005 procedure and have already incorporated significant lifestyle changes into my routine several months before I had the surgery.  Going into "surgery + day 3" with a great attitude and high optimism.

cniccolemoore
on 6/29/13 10:45 am

Way to go!  I just got approval and have purposely put it off until Mid-September so that I can get the necessary changes incorporated prior to... Like you, I know where I went wrong and know what I need to do to make it work this time.  Way to go for you!! : )

If I may ask, what procedure did you have done originally and what did you change to?

rj0274
on 6/29/13 12:56 pm - TX
Revision on 07/03/13

I had an RNY in 2005 and over the years,my pouch stretched and created an extra pouch where food could get re-directed and not process through the intestines. Also, my stoma stretched out. After discussing various options with my surgeon it was determined that in my case, a revision of the RNY was the best way to go, so the bypass was reconstructed and half of my stomach was removed.  That part is important because, evidently, that part of the stomach creates grehlin which is the hunger producing hormone that continued to create hunger sensations even though the food had no place to go - therefore, my pouch stretched out and the weight gain began.

Congrats for planning to get your lifestyle changes incorporated into your routine before you go for the surgery.  I'd recommend using a site like MyFitnessPal, or weigh****chers that allows you to track your food intake and exercise activities.

Best luck in your revision journey!

cniccolemoore
on 6/29/13 1:14 pm
Thank you so much for sharing! My journey is very similar. I just had my endoscopy about 3 months ago an found that my stoma and pouch are stretched and enlarged. My surgeon also thought that a "tune up" would be my best bet. My procedure will be open whereas my first was laparoscopic. Was yours open or laparoscopic? I'm nervous about the pain of the open surgery. I will be anxious to follow along with your progress as our stories are similar... thank you again for sharing!
rj0274
on 6/29/13 2:14 pm - TX
Revision on 07/03/13

My first RNY was a "hand assisted" laproscopic procedure wherein I had several laproscopic incisions but also had about a 4 in*****ision in the middle of my abdomen.  This time, it was purely laproscopic.  Honestly, I don't remember the pain being much different between the open and laproscopic.  I really don't have any constant pain - the only difficulty is getting up and down from sitting or lying positions, and flipping around in bed is a little uncomfortable, but I'm not experiencing any prolonged constant pain.

In fact, I just took my first dose of pain medication today as I prepare for bed.  I find that moving around and keeping busy really helps. I also think that procedures have really come a long way since my original surgery 8 years ago.  As I reflect on things, I've come to realize that the stomach, duodenum, pouch, stoma etc. really don't have the most effect on one's weight loss - I truly believe that most important organ in weight management is the brain.  I think we have to align our attitudes, motivation and habits appropriately before any surgery can be effective.  Therefore, I think you're approaching your revision the right way in trying to make your lifestyle changes a permanent part of your life as you gather information on surgical options.

On another note, I'm relatively new to this site and I've found that a lot of bloggers have strong opinions pro and con about certain procedures.  I got a lot of warnings about doing the RNY revision; with most folks advising to go with the Duodenal Switch (DS).  After discussing the options with my surgeon, I came to the conclusion that the vomiting, nausea and diarrhea that often come along with the DS wasn't the best way for me to go.  My advice, for what it's worth, is discuss the options with your surgeon and determine what's best for you.  The surgeons after all, are the real professionals, and your case may be different than others.  Just my 2 cents.....

Good luck!

eviegal0827
on 6/29/13 1:37 pm - MONTEREY PARK, CA

Hello, my name is Evelyn, I'm also looking into a revision, but , SCARED......  I read that your chances of bleeding are greater and risk for infection is greater.  I had the gastric bypass in June 2001, I was weighing 310 on a 5'7 height frame, and i dropped to 158 lbs. Right now I'm weighing 210 and I'm scared to death.  I have this tremendous crave for bread and I cant shake it off.  I started yoga 2 times a week, but I know I must return to cardio exercise.  Please say a prayer for me so I can get back in route and really try to go back to basics, before I seriously consider the revision.  I hope all continues to be well for you, I will say a prayer for you, so that you have heal quickly and have a successful 2nd chance for a positive and healthy you.   I would appreciate any advice, take care, God bless.......    Evelyn

rj0274
on 6/29/13 2:39 pm - TX
Revision on 07/03/13

Hi Evelyn - thanks for the thoughts and prayers. I certainly understand your anxieties when considering a revision.  In my case, I made some significant lifestyle changes several months before considering a revision- but after months of religiously exercising (cardio and weight training) and strict calorie monitoring without seeing any significant results, I thought that maybe a revision would be worth looking into.  As it turned out, it was the right decision for me. 

Bread (especially in the form of pizza) is my weakness too.  But as I look at it now, I've had decades of indulging in the foods I love, but at the end of the day, I feel awful about my appearance and self image which impacts my overall confidence.   Looking back at my first surgery, I recall thinking: "I can't wait until I can start eating the foods I love", which when I look at that attitude now, I see it was a recipe for failure.  I think you have to really identify your own personal priorities and set your goals accordingly.  I also believe that the most important factor in weight management is not one's metabolism, body style or genetics.  Although they all play a huge role in an individual's tendencies; I believe the most significant organ related to weight management is the brain.  I think we have identify our goals, turn motivation into habit and gather as much information on available options as possible.  For me, it was time to take control of my own life - let go of rationalizations and accept that I had been sedentary too long and have made poor food choices.

As I move forward, I realize I have my own food vices that I need to overcome and that I need to get more active.  I think I've always known what I needed to do but didn't have the wherewithal to incorporate those choices and activities into my lifestyle.

Get in touch with yourself and determine what's best for you - you will do just fine!

Most Active