6 months with my sleeve-from a band revision

pineview01
on 7/22/13 2:06 pm - Davison, MI

Six month sleeve musings!

I started this journey 5 years ago in May of 2008 at my highest recorded weight of 279! I was wearing size 26/28 pants with drawstrings and 3X tops and needed 4X.  I wouldn’t go to my doctor for fear of what I would weigh and would stop eating for two weeks before hand when I couldn’t avoid it.  This included the visit to talk to my PCP for the second time about WLS.  The first time I asked to talk about it she wouldn’t even talk.

My surgery weight from pre-op testing was 257 but I GAINED 4 pounds on the liquid diet.  I was down to 199 for a day, literally, when my bother passed. My real low with the band was ~205.  My goal with the center was 215 which I made.  My weight one year out was 228.  I went up to 260 for my two year checkup.  From eight months out, I started having problems that weren’t addressed until my one year checkup.  At the two year checkup my PCP wanted the band out because of the medical problems.  I found out my only option was RNY (insurance wouldn’t cover the sleeve yet.)  I fought to keep the band as I didn’t want to go back to having no tool.  By three and a half years, the problems were so bad I just needed the band out.  It came out 9/4/11.

My insurance was changing to a once in a lifetime WLS policy as I was revising and they said I couldn’t get another.  Once the band was out and with all the documentation from the medical problem and the proof from the surgical notes and photos, I could show medical need and compliance.  I could also show direct data that my Wight could be affected with a tool when not having medical problems.

I was sleeved 1/22/13 at 232 pre-op testing/233 first day of liquid diet.  Day of surgery I was 220, I lost on the liquid diet this time after a 25 pound regain after being unbanded, cruising for 3 weeks with free alcohol every day and coming home to the holidays.  My only real goal for this surgery was to get below 200 and staying there for good.  I made this goal and stayed at 5 weeks.  I reset my goal at this time to a BMI of 25.  I never dreamed I would do this as my goal had been set at 195 ever since I started this journey.  Coming into this surgery I told my sleeved daughter I just want to be a 16 so if I regained two year out I would end up a size 18.  Then I set a goal to weigh less than the DH.  Took some work as he went from 193 to 186 while I was trying.  I made this goal, which put me at the weight I was when I was in 7th grade and when I had my daughter 35 years ago, (other than a short period when I went thru a divorce.)  Talk about an event that caused tears.

Now at 6 months out with my sleeve, I have lost 100 pounds as of today.  I weigh about 30 pounds less than I did with the band.  I am off all meds.  I am wearing size 14 and medium tops.  I can do more and am so happy that I was able to have this chance to have a painless WLS that WORKS like it is supposed to.  I now have a tool that I hope will help me live a healthier life.  The reason I started this journey in the first place.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Mz_Pretty
on 7/23/13 6:10 am - Kansas City, MO
Revision on 06/25/13

That is amazing! Congrats to you!

pineview01
on 7/23/13 1:37 pm - Davison, MI

Thank You!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Hislady
on 7/23/13 7:30 am - Vancouver, WA

pineview01
on 7/23/13 1:38 pm - Davison, MI

You have been so much help with your advise and support.  Thank You!

airbender
on 7/23/13 12:38 pm

congrats, excellent progress, and i am glad you kept fighting...

pineview01
on 7/23/13 1:39 pm - Davison, MI

Thank You!  I am so glad I didn't cave like normal in this.  What a life changing experience this sleeve has been.

Member Services
on 7/29/13 2:23 pm - Irvine, CA

Thank you for sharing this wonderful post.  You have been through a lot and it is great to hear that you are doing so well!

pineview01
on 7/29/13 3:24 pm - Davison, MI

Thank You for the support!

KLTTX
on 7/30/13 1:16 pm - DFW, TX
What a great story. I had my band out two weeks ago and will be getting a sleeve soon. Very excited to move on with this process.

10 cc band - 2/27 - 4 cc; 4/10 - 1.5 cc; 5/21 - 2 cc; 11/19 - 1 cc; 7/8 - .5 cc  = 9 cc total

Most Active
Recent Topics