Calling all Band to Bypass folks!

Katie H.
on 8/31/13 6:24 pm - NC

What are some things (good, bad, funny, embarrassing, obvious etc.) you wish you had known before your revision surgery?

As many as possible! I'd love a good long list. (:

Katie

Katie

Lap-Band 09/10, seeking revision.

tdbull
on 8/31/13 11:51 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Having band removal, RNY and gallbladder removed is 1 BIG surgery. I'm in week 3 and still don't feel myself. I am dealing with drain hole infection but still, whew.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

MsBatt
on 9/1/13 1:56 am

While you still have a relatively intact stomach, you really should research revising to the DS rather than the RNY. The DS would preserve the pylorus and all normal stomach function, including the ability to take NSAIDs as needed. Also, the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of ANY size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50.

If you look around on this board you'll see many folks revising from the Band, the Sleeve, and the RNY/gastric bypass to the DS---but you won't find any going the other way.

Katie H.
on 9/1/13 7:37 am - NC

I have really bad acid reflux, saving the pyloric valve wouldn't be doing me any favors.

Katie

lafalot
on 9/9/13 9:39 am - Chesterfield, VA
RNY on 10/16/13

Katie, I had the band in 2008 and also developed really bad acid reflux.  I eventually had it loosened to stop the pain, and then gained back all the weight (up to 270). I'm scheduled for Bypass in mid-October.  I am seeing different opinions about selecting Bypass or DS.  What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance. Sally

Katie H.
on 9/13/13 2:48 pm - NC

Sally,

I feel your pain, girl! I had my band in '09, deflated in '09 and have been steadily gaining weight since. I'm now at my highest ever of 360 (was 320 when I was banded). My band is coming out (woohoo!!), I'm almost done with my pre-op appointments for that.

I've decided that if I revise, it will be to Bypass. From what I have heard, it seems to be the best option for those of us with severe reflux as it 'cures' the reflux.  The other surgeries keep the pyloric valve intact and reflux seems to be a big risk with sleeve and DS patients.

I've been veeery curious about that because the surgery might stop the acid from reaching your esophagus, but my question is what does it do for the super acidic stomach? What about the risk of developing ulcers?

I want to lose weight. I want to get healthy and fit and be able to work with my horses again, so I'm seriously considering revising, but I still have so many concerns and worry obsessively about making the wrong decision and being an unhealthy person for the rest of my life. 

My band is coming out for sure. But, I just can't make a decision about the rest. I'd love to keep in touch, Sally!

Thanks for sharing, guys.. I think I'm going to add 'Get kicked out of Lane Bryant' to my goal list, haha! You're so awesome for chopping up that card in the store and letting the lady hold it. Good for you!

Katie

Katie

lafalot
on 10/7/13 5:25 am - Chesterfield, VA
RNY on 10/16/13

Katie, just checking in to see how you are doing. Where are you in the process of the Revision?

I am in the midst of the pre-op liver shrinking. I swear it was not this obnoxious the first time around (although my husband assures me I didn't like it in 2008 any more than I am now). White-knuckling it, but absolutely determined to stay on course.

I am pre-mourning the loss of cuisine in my future. My guess is this will be an ongoing sense of loss. Maybe the loss of my big tuchas will compensate.

I wish I could press the fast- forward button and get to next next week and start this darned thing. But, wishy-hopey thinking is what allowed me to get heavy again (ie: pretending that those creeping pounds would somehow magically disappear).

Regarding your concern about stomach ulcers... of course ask your Dr., but my guess is that our stomachs are designed to handle the acids, it's the esophagus that isn't. 

Best wishes. Sally

Sherrie P.
on 9/1/13 1:38 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

It hurt more that I thought it would. It hurt much much more than the band. It took me 5 weeks to feel normal, and I felt normal after about 5 days after the band.

Other than that... I LOVE MY REVISION!!!!! THANK GOD FOR RNY!!! I totally wish I had NEVER ever ever gotten the band. Worst decision of my life.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

lafalot
on 10/19/13 2:55 am - Chesterfield, VA
RNY on 10/16/13

Sherri, It's done now. Had it done in the 16th, out of the hospital on 18th. And yes, this is harder than the band. My belly is swollen like a pumpkin. I have taken 2 week off work, and can see I will need every day of them to bounce back.  What is a real surprise to me is that I lost very little during the pre-op diet (like 4 lbs) and then put on 9 from the surgery.  This is rather messing with my head. I had read a lot of posts from those who had undergone the procedure but didn't see any warnings to expect this.  Of course I am keeping on course, a little late now to turn back, but it has taken rush of joy out of the process. Dont want to be a Debbie-Downer, but this is the only place i can bring the truth. I recevied a lot of "are you sure's?" from people before the surgery and I just dont' want to face them with my haunting fears that I have done this to my body but wont enjoy the benefits for which I had hoped. A bit early to get al dramatic about it, if I haven't turned the corner in three weeks the cries will be heard in cyberspace.. 

TamaraL
on 9/3/13 11:42 am

So the worst thing about the RNY i have is the terrible, terrible gas. Lets just say my coworkers know i stink!! ugh

i love how much weight i have lost. i always said im never going to regain weight but i have.  My lowest was 149 and now im 163-165.  never say never because it happens

Tamara

Most Active
Recent Topics