Selecting Revision type

lafalot
on 9/9/13 9:23 am - Chesterfield, VA
RNY on 10/16/13

I had the LapBand in 2008. I developed terrible acid reflux and had it loosed in 2011. I regained all the weight :(  back up to 270.

I'm now scheduled for Bypass in 1 month. Just found this site and read that revision from Band to Sleeve is recommended.  Does anyone have any thought to share on the choice.

tdbull
on 9/9/13 11:59 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I just had revision due to reflux and weight regain. My surgeon said sleeve was not an option for me. Sleeve doesn't eliminate or reduce reflux. He said RNY was his recommendation. Discuss this with your surgeon. It would be a shame for you to go thru revision and still have reflux issues.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

OliverandCompany
on 9/9/13 12:02 pm

Hello and best of luck, what does your surgeon recommend for you? My surgeon and I discussed what was best and we went from there.

Hislady
on 9/9/13 12:21 pm - Vancouver, WA

It kind of depends on whether you had reflux before banding and if you have/ or had a hiatal hernia. The sleeve can cause more reflux but often the reflux we get is from the band and when the band is removed the reflux foes away. Also a hiatal hernia will also give one reflux. I've had people say they suffered from reflux and it went away after they got sleeved so it really depends on the cause and whether the surgeon has a preference some only want to do RNYs and don't like to do the sleeve. So make sure the surgeon is comfortable with both surgeries and what caused your reflux. Good luck to you!

pineview01
on 9/11/13 2:23 pm - Davison, MI

What Hislady Said!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Lisa O.
on 9/10/13 2:45 am - Snoqualmie, WA

I had my band removed in May and my surgeon said he would absolutely not do a revision to Sleeve for me because I have chronic reflux.  According to him, reflux is the number one long term complication from the Sleeve in his experience.  He does all surgeries and has a very big practice. 

Just have the conversation with your surgeon and keep researching.  I am going to have RNY sugery in October if insurance approves.

Grace and Peace, 

Lisa

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

thinlizzie12
on 9/10/13 9:34 am - KS
DS on 01/24/13

I had band to ds revision....best thing i ever did. Friend  Me and read my blogs.....if you want. 

Virgie Tschirhart
on 9/11/13 10:53 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

Let me tell you that I had the band in 2008 and had reflux then I revised to the Sleeve in 2009 and my reflux became worse.  It's really bad and I have gained weight too.  I should have had the Bypass from the very beginning.  With the GB you should not have any acid reflux.  Anyway, I plan to get the Bypass hopefully soon.  Best wishes to you sweetie!

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

pineview01
on 9/11/13 2:22 pm - Davison, MI

I didn't have reflux before the band.  I developed terrible acid reflux with the band.  When the band was completely unfilled it was a little better.  After the band was removed it was much better but, I didn't realize I no longer had acid reflux until a month or so after surgery.  Our center removes the band and allows the stomach to heal.  If the reflux is resolved you are considered a candidate for the sleeve.

I am a band to sleeve revision.  Removing the band resoleved the problem and I am happy and doing great with my sleeve.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics