I thought RNY would be best... But what about DS? Anyone see Dr. Sudan?

Katie H.
on 9/14/13 3:44 pm - NC

So, I found out that some people do take a PPI with the DS to help control acid reflux issues and that some people no longer have reflux after having the DS done. This changes things for me. If I can take my PPI regularly and keep normal stomach function, I am so game. One thing I do not want is to revise to RNY only to have to revise from RNY to DS down the road. Apparently RNY to RNY revisions are awful?

Dr. Enochs did not mention DS as an option for me during my consultation, I don't even know if he does them. So my knowledge seems to be lop sided here. I'm thinking about going to Dr. Sudan for a second opinion and to get more information on the DS surgery.

I would love to hear from you folks about LapBand to DS revision experiences, any experiences with Dr. Sudan, things a newbie should know about DS and DS vs. RNY, links to statistics for long term success, common complications, etc.

I was a teenager when I had my LapBand. I didn't do my research and I didn't know any better and it has been a learning experience and a half. I am not putting myself in that situation ever again.

Thanks,

Katie.

Katie

Lap-Band 09/10, seeking revision.

airbender
on 9/15/13 12:28 pm

Katie....

you noticed something....don't go to a surgeon that doesn't know or tell you about all the wls, you at least need to know your options.  keep asking questions on all the boards, see what there is out there, rule out what you want when you come down to 2 (it looks like rny and ds) do a pros and cons.... btw I am a band to ds revision...keep asking and researching...good luck in your journey...

Sherrie P.
on 9/19/13 10:54 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Dr. Sudan is at Duke right? I went to Dr. Yoo there.  My revision went as smooth as possible but I am band to RNY.

If my insurance would have paid for DS I would have gone that route in a heartbeat.  My BMI was only 41 and had to be 50 for revision to DS.

I would totally look into it.

Dr. Enochs has a top notch reputation, but he specializes in RNY. Personally my best friend had RNY with him and she should have investigated DS in my opinion.

Best of luck!!  Any thing is better than the band...........................

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Katie H.
on 9/23/13 11:31 am - NC

Thanks for the responses!

Yes, Dr. Sudan is at Duke. I saw Dr. Yoo last year to try to remove my Band and he wanted me to put the fluid back in and 'try it again' for six months. He also told me he wouldn't just remove it, I had to revise for him to take my band out. I'm very glad he was a great doctor to you, but I wanted to sock him in the jaw! Lol.

You're exactly right about Dr. Enochs, He did push the RNY to me and I was seriously considering it! I'm positive now that it would be a really bad idea for me. 50% Gut instinct, 50% research. If for some reason I can't get the DS, I've decided I'm just going to shoot for straight-up removal and start living my life again.

Katie

Katie

Lap-Band 09/10, seeking revision.

pineview01
on 9/23/13 2:47 pm - Davison, MI

I would have wanted to sock him too!  My surgeon wanted to try my band again and take two ppi's a day.  When I reminded him that is what he had told me 18 months earlier and I had, he finally gave in on taking the band out.

I personal think you will be happier with the DS than RNY.  I went with the sleeve instead of the rny as if I end up needing the mal-absorption I could add the DS(cash pay) to the VSG.  Also with the DS you always have calorie mal-absorption and with the rny your body adjust and stops mal-absorption of calories.  Both require supplementation and lab work for life.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Irishnurse
on 9/23/13 3:20 pm
DS on 04/17/13

Lap Band to DS was the best decision I ever made. I love my DS. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

sunshine1968
on 10/2/13 5:10 am

Hi Katie H,

I'm in the process of making a similar decision. I'm trying to decided on duodenal switch or sleeve. I ruled out the RNY because you can't take anti-inflamatories with the RNY. I met with Enochs a couple years ago and he never mentioned DS. It wasn't until I met with Dr. Sudan that I found out about the DS.  You will find that if the doc doesn't perform the surgery then you won't even hear about it. I would ask your questions on the DS forum as there are a lot of very helpful folks there. There is also an OH duodenal switch support group on facebook called OH DS Family that's very helpful and another Facebook page called NC DS'ers. There are quite a few Sudan patients on the NC board. It may be helpful to ask your questions there.

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 10/2/13 11:00 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Just want to chime in here. Before my surgery, I had horrible acid reflux (it would even aspirate into my lungs almost nightly).

Dr. K. knew that I had an issue with acid reflux, so he told me he would make my sleeve slightly bigger than he normally would and compensate with a slightly shorter common channel. He also fixed a hiatal hernia during my surgery.

I haven't had one incident of acid reflux since my surgery -- not even heartburn. I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to sleep laying down (even very soon after eating)!!! yes

P.S. I take one tablet (40mg) of Pantoprazole per day.

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

Most Active
Recent Topics