How to balance fluids with soft foods

motomama
on 10/14/13 1:33 pm - TX
RNY on 09/06/13

finally started soft/mushy food and I am having a bit of trouble balancing my fluid intake.  So you aren't supposed to drink 30 minutes before or during a meal then for how long after?  I've started taking a water bottle or drink of some kind where ever I go now but I still don't feel like I am getting hydrated enough.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I am a 42 year old mother of 3 who is 5 feet tall and trying to beat the odds of my inherited medical history.  Taking things one day at a time.  Banded in 2008, revised to RNY 2013

saterry
on 10/14/13 7:35 pm - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

Your stomach is a funnel. There is NO reason not to drink right up to the first bite of food.

Why some surgeons have this rule is a mystery. Confront your surgeon for his/her reasoning.

And it's 30 minutes after eating that you can begin drinking.

Remember all your protein drinks and things like jello count in your fluid totals.

I make it my JOB to drink, take vitamins and walk. I figure I used to eat like it was my job so now this is my new job.

I am 12 days out and have been getting 70-90g protein and 80-100 oz fluid of daily. Still on full liquids meals 2oz 3x a day for another 2 weeks.

Good Luck on your journey......drink like its your job !

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

Most Active